MULTI-ZONE AUDIO SUPPORT - ACTIVE/ACTIVE/HUB & SPOKE MODEL
Music 
THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF THE CONVERSATION HERE:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ZONE+AUDIO
THREAD MOVED.
I would love to see this
Hi all,

I would love to see such a function in XBMC.
I think a lot of users will run more than one xbmc instance in there house. Especially since cheap devices like the raspberrypi are available.
For now we have seen some GUI-Prototypes and have discussed some concepts for controlling the multiroom environment. But I'm missing a discussion of how to implement such a active/active model into the xbmc codebase.

What opinions do we have?
- Streaming from a Master to the slaves with e.g. rstp / multicast
- Playing all files local and just control the multiple instances through RPC - No network load - all devices must have access to all files. Could be difficult to share a internet stream.
- using something like Airplay or Sonos to sync between the rooms

How can we insure that all rooms are in sync?

See page 5 of thread linked above
Amen to this! This is a feature which I'd greatly enjoy having. Would the new PulseAudio-based Audio Engine make this easier to accomplish through the use of Pulse's remote playback abilities? Unfortunately Pulse doesn't offer sync facility, only best-effort so it can go out of sync between rooms but it would at least be a cool project.

Do we have any Devs here who are familiar with the new audio architecture?
(2012-09-11, 01:49)belrik Wrote: Amen to this! This is a feature which I'd greatly enjoy having. Would the new PulseAudio-based Audio Engine make this easier to accomplish through the use of Pulse's remote playback abilities? Unfortunately Pulse doesn't offer sync facility, only best-effort so it can go out of sync between rooms but it would at least be a cool project.

Do we have any Devs here who are familiar with the new audio architecture?

Think we also need to know if the new Audio Engine has the capability to do multi streaming? If not, would it be possible to add this feature? If we can do multiple streaming to say a particular IP address, or a group of IP addresses this would allow us to group zones/rooms.

song 1: Streaming to <kitchen> .....IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.001
song 2: Streaming to <pool>..........IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.002
song 3: Streaming to <bedroom>...IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.003
song 2: Streaming to <library>......IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.004

Just pulled this up on multicasting with PulseAudio.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/28039/how...-computers
Don't know if it is possible with the XBMC version but may be a start .......

This may be a good place to hit for +1's
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127949
So basically a "multi-room addon" is , an addon that outputs to a multicast IP and port (audio/video), and once you have setup your other XBMC systems to use the normal web interface, the multi-room "addon" is setup with the other XBMC systems IPs, and then tells each of them to point to the multicast address and use no buffer. The only things that are needed is the architecture specific multicast encoder, and the script that handles the configuration and the web requests to the other boxes. All the support boxes would just be normal XBMC installs with web interface turned on.

I thought this existed already?
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
The pieces exist, they just haven't been assembled into a convenient solution. To add to your list, you also need status tracking so individual players can drop and skip to stay in sync.
Additionally we would also need a XBMC music player that is capable of streaming different media streams simultaneously?
Using the hub and spoke model talked about, we need to be able to stream multiple "songs/channels" at once. Different music in different rooms of the house or the same music in some of the rooms and different in others (similar to Sonos if anyone is familiar).

The real hurdle here is the PAplayer/AudioEngine:
1. Multiple audio outputs, may be able to accomplish this by using multiple instances of the player itself?
2. If 1 is not feasible, how about loading a different audio player that can accomplish this?

Any thoughts?
Not needed in an active/active scenario. The instantiating machine just tells the playback machine what url to play and lets it do the rest.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MULTI-ZONE AUDIO SUPPORT - ACTIVE/ACTIVE/HUB & SPOKE MODEL2