To NAS or not to NAS that is the question
My main pc also doubles up as my living room HTPC and a server for my media to my bedroom pc, its an Athlon x2 triple core system with an ancient Radeon 3450 graphics card (I know its not the best pc in the world but it does everything I need it to perfectly) with a 650 watt psu,
I have 4 hdd's in it and am about to replace two small older ones with a couple of 2tb drives, my question is as this pc is switched on virtually all the time I'm home would putting these two new drives in a NAS box save me anything on power useage or should I just put them in the pc and save on space?
I'm also probably going to upgrade the graphics card in the near future too so I can play some games on it but it wont be anything radically power hungry probably just a radeon 6670 so I can play at 720p with average to low settings.
If you mean that you'll create a new NAS,..then I'd say, just put into existing PC for now.
Then save your money for a new HTPC build,..and then eventually a NAS.

UNLESS,.....you have critical data that if lost would end life as you know it,..then build a NAS.
Digital Pictures are not fun to lose.
Thanks for the reply, yeah it would be a new NAS, I don't have any critical data that would end life as we know it but I wouldn't really want to lose my media library,
my plan is to gradually replace the hdd's in this box (this is the first step) and retire the old ones to a cupboard so I have backups of my library if needed.
And as much as I'd like to build myself a new powerful all singing all dancing HTPC I can't really justify the expense, both my (limited) boxes do exactly what I want them to apart from being able to play the odd new game and (he says touching a large piece of wood) after a lot of faffing around on initial setups are working 100% glitch free Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
To NAS or not to NAS that is the question0