Freeeeeedom from sky tv
(2012-08-20, 04:07)lagledavid Wrote: couch potato+sickbeard you can find guides in tips and tricks section (trust me this will do it for your needs)

I shall check that out Thanks lagleddavid

[quote='SavellM' pid='1173118' dateline='1345466410']
What about an application feel, eg OpenELEC.
It will kind of be like a Sky box. As in power on boots in within seconds, and your good to go.
Runs a light linux base, but you never see or use it.

They do a PVR build. I played with this for awhile, running Intel and a TV Tuner card, using my old Sky Sat dish.
Worked ok, but I could have spent more time with it. As you need to scan all channels, and then I was manually giving them numbers similar to Sky.
But then stopped for some reason so never finished.

Never got to the recording bit either, that was next on my list.
But watching was good, except some stutters now and then, or a few seconds to buffer the channel.

Yeah i've seen the vids for openlec on youtube looks good pity you didn't get around to test driving the pvr side of things i would have been interested in your thoughts.
Again another useful post , keep em coming guys , please if your reading this throw in a little input for me every little helps.

Thanks saviliim
How do i enhance your reputations guys , can't seem to find any thumbs up buttons or the likes
(2012-08-20, 21:14)bannockburn1314 Wrote: How do i enhance your reputations guys , can't seem to find any thumbs up buttons or the likes
At the bottom-left of each post is a "+/-" button (next to "PM" and "FIND") which you can click to add to the poster's reputation. However, I seem to recall that this button is not available until you have made a certain number (10?) of posts. You can always come back to these posts later (after you've reached the posting threshold) to add to the poster's reputation.
(2012-08-19, 23:52)bannockburn1314 Wrote: Hey charlie0440 thanks for your input.

I'm really interested in your post , are you in the uk?

Could you expand on what you said above in noob speak so i can grasp it
Firstly the best setup if not necessarily what someone recommends you, it will be one tailored to your exact need. The following is what I decided was best for me, Ok here comes a long post....

Yes I am in the UK and used to have a basic non recordable Sky subscription. Fed up with the costs and endless channels of crap I didn't watch, plus the lack of recording functionality I cancelled the subscription. This left me with a sky box which only received channels 1-4 and a few other, far less then freesat offer (sky's restriction).

I started looking into TV cards and decided to go for a DVB-S2 (satellite via the sky dish which would also allow me to get HD channels as well). With Freesat you get a good number of channels, just google them. Instead of taking the conventional route of getting a TV card for my HTPC I decided I wanted one to go in my server instead. The reason being my server is on most of the day and I have multiple PCs in the house running XBMC. If I had the TV card in a HTPC in my living room and then wanted to watch TV upstairs it would of meant requiring the living room HTPC to also be powered on and running, wasting elec. By putting the TV card in my server then I only need my server and one PC at a time turned on. If you only have one XBMC machine it makes sense to get a TV card for your single machine.

I'm not going to go into much detail here but XBMC can offer you live TV with recording features a number of ways. XBMC provides the frontend (GUI) but you need an underlying backend server which communicates with your TV card. There are a number of choices here. The choice depends on your needs and which Operating System you are running. I find most people on here are running Tvheadend. I choose to install VDR (link to a guide in my sig on how to set this up in Linux). Once you have a backend setup with all your channels, any XBMC on your network or with remote access can access this backend ie multiple clients can watch TV through your dish. XBMC PVR is still in development but its pretty stable!

If you need anything else just ask.

PS I agree with SaveIIM (and love his work) I use OpenElec as my XBMC clients, it just does everything I need!

You were asking about plugins. The main ones for me are YouTube, iPlayer, itvPlayer, 4od, Trailers, Vevo.

PPS - make sure you get a TV card which has driver support for your choosen backend!!!
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freeeeeedom from sky tv0