[HTPC] Dedicated GPU Option?
So I'm shopping for parts for a future HTPC build, mainly for 1080p mkv video playback through XBMC on Windows 7 from a media server.

At first I was debating between the i3 vs A8, but another option caught my attention, which fell into the same price range; how about the Intel G530 + a low-end dedicated GPU? I don't really see many people going that route, so I was wondering if there happens to be a problem with that setup and HTPC usage.

The video cards I was especially looking at is the Radeon 6570, 6670, and GeForce 9800 - would these GPUs be better than the HD2000 and Radeon 6530D?

If this is an acceptable option, what should I be aware of when shopping for a GPU?

The limitation I can think of is being able to fit the card in an HTPC case; as of now, I think I'm going with the Silverstone ML03 case, if that helps. I guess the other issue may be the extra heat generated, but not entirely sure. And I'm sure there are many other concerns.

Could someone possibly shed some light on this route?
I think its a fantastic option and allows you to get a powerful yet efficient and cooler running cpu.

What I have recommended for over a year now is to try the iGPU first and then if for any reason at all you aren't happy with the iGPU then (and only then) add a discrete card. Very little downside with this approach.

BTW an Intel CPU with ATI/NVidia discrete card is still going to use less energy and run cooler than the A8.
There are even cheaper options, like the Radeon 6450 and the GeForce 430, but I'm not sure if they would be capable or better than the HD2000 and 6530. But before I ask too many questions, I would first like to hear any input on the dedicated GPU route.

Thanks!

(2012-08-19, 14:56)assassin Wrote: I think its a fantastic option and allows you to get a powerful yet efficient and cooler running cpu.

What I have recommended for over a year now is to try the iGPU first and then if for any reason at all you aren't happy with the iGPU then (and only then) add a discrete card. Very little downside with this approach.

BTW an Intel CPU with ATI/NVidia discrete card is still going to use less energy and run cooler than the A8.

Awesome! I was kind of thinking the same thing, like you said, just buying the G540 or G630 for now, and then in the future, if needed, I could add a GPU then; that way I would have a fairly solid, energy efficient CPU.

Also, that's great to hear about the energy and heat concerns.

Do you, by chance, know if there are any problems when installing a discrete GPU in a HTPC case, fit-ability-wise? I could maybe see the issue if it were to be a mini-ATX case, but I'll just be going with the micros.
I prefer the GD04/05 Silverstone cases personally as I think they look better and are much easier to cool. They also can fit some pretty large full height video cards and the case itself really isn't that much larger.. For the ML03 you will need a half height card to fit it natively.
Great, thanks again!
(2012-08-19, 15:13)snowboarder33 Wrote: Do you, by chance, know if there are any problems when installing a discrete GPU in a HTPC case, fit-ability-wise? I could maybe see the issue if it were to be a mini-ATX case, but I'll just be going with the micros.
Not a problem.....most mini-ITX motherboards and cases have slot for LP discrete GPU......with this "SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450 1GB" $31 card, it should be as good as HD6550D in an A8.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-19, 17:20)bluray Wrote:
(2012-08-19, 15:13)snowboarder33 Wrote: Do you, by chance, know if there are any problems when installing a discrete GPU in a HTPC case, fit-ability-wise? I could maybe see the issue if it were to be a mini-ATX case, but I'll just be going with the micros.
Not a problem.....most mini-ITX motherboards and cases have slot for LP discrete GPU......with this "SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450 1GB" $31 card, it should be as good as HD6550D in an A8.......

Thanks.

Either that one or the GT 430 which can be had at tigerdirect for $30 (AR). And according to AnandTech, the GT 430 is actually a fairly decent card, for HTPC purposes - Article - looks like it even beats out the HD3000 by a decent margin. So if I pair the GT 430 with the G540, it would cost me $65, and that would be a pretty solid setup, for HTPC purposes, correct? Does the G540 have enough processing power to run XBMC with a very large library smoothly?

EDIT: The GT 430 looks to even beat out the 6550D in most cases - Article. Neat! Also, looks like the 6450 competes well too. I wonder why it has such a low passmark score (352) as compared to the 430, 6550D, and even the HD3000 - weird.
(2012-08-19, 19:47)snowboarder33 Wrote: Either that one or the GT 430 which can be had at tigerdirect for $30 (AR). And according to AnandTech, the GT 430 is actually a fairly decent card, for HTPC purposes - Article - looks like it even beats out the HD3000 by a decent margin. So if I pair the GT 430 with the G540, it would cost me $65, and that would be a pretty solid setup, for HTPC purposes, correct? Does the G540 have enough processing power to run XBMC with a very large library smoothly?

EDIT: The GT 430 looks to even beat out the 6550D in most cases - Article. Neat! Also, looks like the 6450 competes well too. I wonder why it has such a low passmark score (352) as compared to the 430, 6550D, and even the HD3000 - weird.
The GT430 is a great all around discrete GPU for HTPC, but it is hard to fine a true passive LP card. If you want to compare GT430, you should compare it to HD6570 instead. HD6570 is better....you can easily find the passive LP HD6450/HD6570 card......for HTPC purpose, the HD6450 with very low power consumption (31 TDP) should be able to playback blu-ray 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio with ease.....and GT430 is 60W TDP.....

TDP doesn't mean much. Just a rough estimate. BTW AMD CPUs blow their TDP out of the water in many reviews I have seen.

GT430 idles at 10w and uses about 40w at peak HTPC use.
Really appreciate the feedback guys.

As long as either the 6450 and the GT 430 are both perfectly capable to handle 1080p content, then that's all I need to know, since they both fit the bill. Even if there were to be a 20W difference between the cards, and I used the machine ~35hrs/wk, it would equate to like $4/year - so I can live with that.

What about the G540 - would it have any limitations on running XBMC+Plugins with a large library smoothly?
(2012-08-19, 21:30)assassin Wrote: TDP doesn't mean much.
Max TDP still provide rough estimate of which GPU consume the most power at full load.....

(2012-08-19, 22:41)bluray Wrote:
(2012-08-19, 21:30)assassin Wrote: TDP doesn't mean much.
Max TDP still provide rough estimate of which GPU consume the most power at full load.....

I used to think that as well. But I have seen some CPUs and GPUs that blow their TDP out of the water.

Here are some "65w" (i3), "95w" (i7) and "100w" (A8) TDP CPUs for example. Interestingly only the lower TDP CPUs actually come close their TDP which is supposed to be the maximum amount of power the cooling system in a computer is required to dissipate.

I think its like the "120 watt x 7 channel" AV receivers that you can buy for $150 at Walmart. Doesn't really mean much.
(2012-08-19, 21:48)snowboarder33 Wrote: Even if there were to be a 20W difference between the cards, and I used the machine ~35hrs/wk, it would equate to like $4/year - so I can live with that.
I owned both HD6450 and GT430. It's not necessary that power consumption is the main concern. For HTPC purpose, most users concerns about noises......and some GT430 is very noisy. I returned one due to excessive noises. I replaced it with a passive HD6450, and the noise was gone.....

If you still want GT430, I'm suggesting this "Evga GeForce GT 430". It's very silent in my mini-ITX case......
This is the card that I recommend. Passive GT430. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814121448 This is one of the reasons that I like the Silverstone GD04/05 cases better than the ML03. It just gives you much more flexibility for HTPC (and I think it looks better and blends in better as well).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814121448

I posted a pic of it recently over at the new HTPC forum at anandtech. http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php...stcount=31

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HTPC] Dedicated GPU Option?0