The unique thing to do...
"Use a fullScreen window rather than true fullscreen - enabled"
but in my case it's not a solution because the videos playback are choppy
My hardware:
AMD E2-1800 HD Radeon 7340.
Win7 64
So I need another alternative.
I have this problem.
The screen goes blank when i try switching to full screen, and in windowed mode its ok.
However there is my observation. In windowed mode the screen is at 60Hz, and in full screen it changes to 24Hz.
Is that the reason? If this is it, how can i make sure it doesnt change? Is this something i need to set under my GPU (Radeon's software), or Kodi itself?
(2013-07-06, 05:21)shess757 Wrote: Thought I'd add some specifics since there seems to be several different configurations/solutions. Hopefully helps narrow down the issue.

Hardware/Software-
Sony Vaio with Windows 7, Frodo 12.2
Intel i3 cpu with ATI Radeon HD 5470 gpu all drivers up to date

Video - Settings - Playback -
Render - Auto detect
Hardware acceleration (DXVA2) - Disabled
Adjust Display refresh rate to match video - Always
Pause during refresh rate change - Off
Sync playback to display - disabled

System - Settings - Video output -
Display Mode - Full screen #1
Resolution - 1360x768P - Does not matter which I choose
Use a fullScreen window rather than true fullscreen - enabled
Vertical blank sync - Always enabled

Hardware acceleration - disabled AND Adjust display refresh rate to match video - Always, both must be set this way or I get black screen during playback. So far changing any other settings does not seem to have any effect on the black screen.

R390 on Win10, Catalyst 17.2.1 (latest as of posting) and for me the solution:
Adjust Display refresh rate to match video - Off

None of the other settings mattered, tried toggling them individually to work through permutations to verify. Seems my display (UN55FH6030) doesn't like some source refresh rates.
(2012-11-19, 05:25)j114 Wrote: I've had this problem twice in the past, on 2 different machines (both with ATI cards). The first time was a corrupt driver. Download the latest driver for your card. Uninstall the video driver from the device manager and reboot. After rebooting, install the new driver and reboot again.

I also had an issue with a (onboard video) video driver once (not on one of my XBMC machines) that required me to uninstall and reinstall both the video driver AND the chipset driver to fully resolve the problem. Something to try for you laptop users.

The second time was a quirk with my XBMC install. I don't know exactly what triggered the problem, but one day everything worked fine and the next I was having the black screen issue. I assumed it was drivers, but that didn't fix it. After throwing the kitchen sink at it, I decided to do a full uninstall (including profile folder) and a clean install. That did the trick for me.

The first instance happened while using the Pre-Eden nightlies, the second was with Eden 11.0

ETA: I was running Win7 64 Ultimate on both machines.

I'm on Windows 10 and the AMD Catalyst Software Suite gets installed automatically. Should I be going to the manufacturers website and getting there drivers rather than rely on the Windows 10 drivers. I'm having the full screen black issue as well.
Hi.
For OpenElec 8.0.2 - Krypton 17.3 - for me the solution:
Settings / System / Display -> Color Managment OFF
JB
Quote: Should I be going to the manufacturer's website and getting their drivers rather than rely on the Windows 10 drivers.

Yes, most definitely. The manufacturer in all likely hood has optimized the driver for the o/s and has a team to match up your graphic card. Windows drivers are usually bare minimum to get you up and running. This thread still keeps popping up for some reason, looking over most of it, you can see that most of the issues are graphic driver related, it's a sad testimony to the hardware industry.
I too having an issue with the kodi going blank/black screen. Initially I thought it was hardware, driver and OS combination so I change things around but no luck.
I did somehow discovered that while kodi is running and I turn off the AV Receiver kodi looses the screen or turns black but everything seem to be working in the background well, sound and menu navigation.
My quick fix was to change kodi to window mode then back to full screen. By pressing backslash \ on the keyboard.
And when I turn my AVR on, it goes black again. Also if I switch HDMI output and come back to Kodi's HDMI port turns black.

What I have recently discovered was if I have a window explorer or even just a calculater floating in front of Kodi. I then switch hdmi, power off AVR it does not turn black. 
Perhaps dev team can advise/suggest what I can do to resolve this. I have factory default both tv and avr already.

My setup is intel nuc NUC6i7KYK, Sony and yamaha av receiver. 
Initially I thought it was OS so I use linux but that did not fix it so I went back to Win10 (my preference).
Hardware, I've changed it to a gigabyte board custom big clunker PC with asus video card and usb-cec from pulse-8. 
Same TV and AV receiver, unfortunately I have no other tv or AVR to test just to budget constraint.
Also tried it with different version of KODI but prefer 17.6.
(2017-12-20, 03:47)iqaruzz Wrote: I too having an issue with the kodi going blank/black screen. Initially I thought it was hardware, driver and OS combination so I change things around but no luck.
I did somehow discovered that while kodi is running and I turn off the AV Receiver kodi looses the screen or turns black but everything seem to be working in the background well, sound and menu navigation.
My quick fix was to change kodi to window mode then back to full screen. By pressing backslash \ on the keyboard.
And when I turn my AVR on, it goes black again. Also if I switch HDMI output and come back to Kodi's HDMI port turns black.

What I have recently discovered was if I have a window explorer or even just a calculater floating in front of Kodi. I then switch hdmi, power off AVR it does not turn black. 
Perhaps dev team can advise/suggest what I can do to resolve this. I have factory default both tv and avr already.

My setup is intel nuc NUC6i7KYK, Sony and yamaha av receiver. 
Initially I thought it was OS so I use linux but that did not fix it so I went back to Win10 (my preference).
Hardware, I've changed it to a gigabyte board custom big clunker PC with asus video card and usb-cec from pulse-8. 
Same TV and AV receiver, unfortunately I have no other tv or AVR to test just to budget constraint.
Also tried it with different version of KODI but prefer 17.6.
 I'm also experiencing this with the latest Kodi running on a bootcamped Mac Mine with the latest Fall Creators update of Win10. My Mac Mini is always on running Kodi, and I simply have to switch the HDMI input on my AVR to watch it. But when I switch away to another HDMI input (or shut the AVR off), when I come back to Kodi it's sitting on a black screen. I have to manually reboot my mini to get everything back.

Very frustrating
System: Boot Camped Mac Mini (Late 2014) with Intel Iris Graphics 5100 iGPU, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD - Synology 1513+ 30TB NAS - Pioneer Elite SC-57 AVR - Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD LCD - Canton CD 300 5.1 Surround Speakers
(2012-08-25, 22:36)Leo8978 Wrote: I had what seems to be the same problem a while back. Take a look at this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=125625

Worked great for me. Hope this might fix the issue for you as well.
 Thank you!! This problem has plagued me ever since I changed builds 3 days ago! I've googled and googled, and re-encoded all my avi videos to mp4, I deleted hundreds of files that I thought were no good because the forums all seemed to agree that the problem was wrong  or outdated encoding methods. It didn't make sense to me because when I would play the video, my TV would flicker and go black. Very much like it does if I go to load a game that uses a different screen resolution. But trying to change the refresh rate would have the exact same effect and I didn't even consider that! You rock, man!! Smile

Glenn
I guess my problem is different. I have no issues playing videos under Kodi 17.6 .... my issue seems to be a blank screen when my Kodi server detects loss of the HDMI signal to my AVR. I have to reboot the server every time I switch my video input away from Kodi or shut off my AVR to get my fullscreen video back up and showing.
System: Boot Camped Mac Mini (Late 2014) with Intel Iris Graphics 5100 iGPU, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD - Synology 1513+ 30TB NAS - Pioneer Elite SC-57 AVR - Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD LCD - Canton CD 300 5.1 Surround Speakers
Okay, I am having this same issue on 2 Kodi machines, one an old Toshiba laptop in my bedroom and a purpose built HTPC in the lounge.  Both are running Windows 10, using integrated Intel graphics, both have been working perfectly for a number of years and both suddenly stopped working a few days ago.  I believe this must be to do with the Fall Creators Update OR one of the more recent updates with regards to the Meltdown and Spectre viruses.  Kodi has become completely useless on both systems with none of the "fixes" mentioned in this and other treads working.  I have actually gone back to using my WDTV in the lounge, which is less than ideal, especially for anything with subtitles.

I seem to be experiencing all the issues mentioned here.  Kodi shows up fine, but starting any video results in a black screen.  If the video is stopped the screen stays black unless Kodi is killed off or put into window mode (i.e. taken out of full screen mode).  The sound also goes for only a few seconds and then stops for a second before restarting.

This is extremely frustrating to say the least, and if my theory about the Windows updates is correct, will start affecting more and more systems as the updates come through.  I would be interested in knowing whether the people currently experiencing this problem forced the latest updates as I did when I read about the Meltdown and Spectre viruses, as this may be the only reason that it is not more widely spread.
@dmacpher "I turn off the AV Receiver kodi looses the screen or turns black" You've lost the HDMI handshake, enter HDCP protection. Displays (wiki) Pin #19 trick.

@Experious " this must be to do with the Fall Creators Update OR one of the more recent updates " reload the proper manufactuer's driver, likely the update has overidden the original driver with a default version.
(2018-01-13, 17:53)PatK Wrote: reload the proper manufactuer's driver, likely the update has overidden the original driver with a default version.
I have tried this with no luck, still the same behaviour.
(2018-01-16, 13:59)Experious Wrote:
(2018-01-13, 17:53)PatK Wrote: reload the proper manufactuer's driver, likely the update has overidden the original driver with a default version.
I have tried this with no luck, still the same behaviour.  
Start your own post, with a proper debug log posted to a public pastebin and that URL linked back to your new post thread. running Kodi is not 'luck'.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Screen when fullscreening5