Black Screen when fullscreening
So the common factor in all of this really does seem to be the ATI Mobility Radeon. Searching for that in the forums brings up even more people with the same issue.
I'm actually using an nVidia card. GT860M if I remember correctly.
I'm using an ATI radeon HD6310 integrated chipset. Anyone tried downgrading or updating ATI drivers?
I just recently had this problem. I also have an ATI card. Mine might be a little different,

I started off with integrated graphics (ATI 3300HD), I just recently upgraded to a AMD 7000 series card along with using the catalyst drivers and vision control center.

Prior to the video card I could watch Standard and Bluray movies without issue.

Now I can watch Bluray but standard movies are audio only. I rip everything into ISO without conversion or compression and have done no upgrades or setting changes to XBMC which had been working fine. I believe it probably has something to do with the AMD vision control center since all I had before was the drivers.

I will reinstall my drivers without the control center and report back.
Hi There - I'm having the same issues on our Win 7 64bit laptop with Mobility Raedon 5470 (sound fine, no picture output on either laptop display or HDMI TV connection).
At first, was getting no picture with either SD or HD files, but with a bit of forum reading and hours of buggering around, installed current ATI driver and changed some XBMC settings - I can get only HD files to play (if I leave hardware acceleration ticked, along with adjust refresh rate to match). I've altered the display resolution in both XBMC and Windows to match 1360x768 - doesn't seem to matter whether it is this resolution or the 1366 option.

What I find really puzzling about this is my 6 year old MacBook Pro also running Eden has absolutely no issues whatsoever. I merely wanted to switch machines so I can go back to writing my novel on the macbook and leave this P of C laptop as a dedicated MC.

Has anyone found similar issue between SD and HD files? I too am wondering whether it is a Graphics Card issue...??
I've had this problem twice in the past, on 2 different machines (both with ATI cards). The first time was a corrupt driver. Download the latest driver for your card. Uninstall the video driver from the device manager and reboot. After rebooting, install the new driver and reboot again.

I also had an issue with a (onboard video) video driver once (not on one of my XBMC machines) that required me to uninstall and reinstall both the video driver AND the chipset driver to fully resolve the problem. Something to try for you laptop users.

The second time was a quirk with my XBMC install. I don't know exactly what triggered the problem, but one day everything worked fine and the next I was having the black screen issue. I assumed it was drivers, but that didn't fix it. After throwing the kitchen sink at it, I decided to do a full uninstall (including profile folder) and a clean install. That did the trick for me.

The first instance happened while using the Pre-Eden nightlies, the second was with Eden 11.0

ETA: I was running Win7 64 Ultimate on both machines.
I have a similar issue on my Dad's pc however it's not just when playing movies but all the time. Everything was fine until I selected (by mistake) the true fullscreen option. All of a sudden a blank screen and the only way to get XBMC back was by hitting '\'. Now the only option is to go with the windowed option. Is there a way to select fullscreen and not true fullscreen any other way than in video optionsHuh To get that option from being greyed out, you have to select fullscreen first and as soon as I do that the screen goes black! For the record, common denominators - W7 and a Radion graphics card...
edit guisettings.xml with a texteditor
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
happens also here with a desktop AMD HD 6450, very annoying...
I am having the same issue with windows 7 64bit and Raedon HD 5770 card. I am new to XMBC loaded it and everything worked fine for a couple of days. Both SD and HD Movies played fine. Today I tried to play a Movie and I am getting Sound with a Black screen. When I exit I can see the movie playing in the Background. Any help will greatly be appreciated.
I don't have W7 and I don't have Radeon, but I still have this issue. I would say that the only common denominator is that it works for a while, then stops with the same symptoms. I had it working for some time as well after going for Eden, then it just stopped.

Can we get some kind of official response, PLEASE. The forum is called support, not ignore... >Sad
(2012-11-28, 23:50)Thark Wrote: I don't have W7 and I don't have Radeon, but I still have this issue. I would say that the only common denominator is that it works for a while, then stops with the same symptoms. I had it working for some time as well after going for Eden, then it just stopped.

Can we get some kind of official response, PLEASE. The forum is called support, not ignore... >Sad

The problem is, nobody knows what is wrong. Nobody is ignoring you. I had this same problem a couple years ago. The thing that finally solved it was upgrading to very new ATI card (6770) and completely wiping all traces of the old drivers and installing the latest drivers. This was probably back to 11.2 or so before it seemed to stop doing it. I'm running those cards on three XBMC machines all running the lastest 12.11 beta drivers, true fullscreen mode and I haven't had a black screen on any machine in at least a year. I didn't really set out to fix the problem, it just seemed to stop doing it once I upgraded my cards.
In the past I've fixed this by updating the Direct X patches. I know the XBMC installer is supposed to install the latest, but for some reason it doesn't always work.

Close all apps and reboot so nothing is loaded, THEN install the patch (http://www.filehippo.com/download_directx/) then reboot again to complete install.
I got same problem now after installing Frodo rc1. was fine with beta 2 and 3
I had this issue too with v11 and Frodo RC2. I changed my resolution on my laptop to 1920x1080 and it works fine now. Hope this helps someone. Win7. Edit: spoke too soon. This worked for local files but not for streaming from online sources (Vevo, etc).

Using ATI Radeon Mobility 5470

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black Screen when fullscreening5