Help me into the HTPC world
Question 
I have kicked around the idea of using Win7 and WMC on a desktop ever since I first used it on a laptop.

Well I think I am ready but after hours of researching, I have learned a lot but feel I am ready for some advice or to be pushed in a certain direction. I am more comfortable with tech than most, but this is a new world to me, so please bear with me. I want to accomplish a few things:

Get rid of my cable box from TimeWarner and use my HTPC for live TV and recording.
Use the HTPC for other media, mainly 1080p movie files.
Have a Windows device in my entertainment center to run a few programs on my TV that I use that need Windows.
Have a secondary storage in my entertainment center within the HTPC or next to it for storage of media files and the backup of a few small files. (2-3TB)

So firstly, should I have a large HD in the HTPC or one in the entertainment center next to it (such as the WD my book live)? Could other computers and tablets access the files on the HTPC if it is hooked into the router and act similar to the WD My Book Live? I guess that is what is appealing to me about something like the WD My Book Live.

Next, I am not ruling out building an HTPC but I rather purchase one or purchase and slightly modify rather than build from scratch. After researching many net-top type units that claim to be for HTPC use, it seems maybe just buying a desktop would be better for me especially considering I want to use this for PVR use? Seems like a desktop would give me more computer power, as well as option and upgrade flexibility. Am I right in this thought? What are the specs I should be looking for? Any popular models that are used?

The Ceton InfiniTV seems to be a great product and what I need to use my TimeWarner cable for premium channels as well as record multiples? This should fit in anything with a PCI slot?

Lastly, I will want to control all this with my Logitech Harmony remote, just as I use it to control everything else in the living room. How will this be possible for watching TV with the HTPC? .. Obviously it will still work with the RF signal to the TV, but can or how will it interact with the computer running Windows Media Center or XBMC?

I guess that is all for now. What else am I missing or no thinking of? Thanks so much in advance. Big Grin
I ordered one from here http://assassinhtpc.com/ ... Its not here yet but I cant wait..I previously owned an xbox running xbmc.They have a great selection and great reviews. You can also have them build you a custom htpc.
You might want to look into the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P.

It comes pre-installed with Windows 7, a wireless keyboard, remote, and all you'd have to do is install XBMC.
(2012-08-21, 03:59)mgftp Wrote: I have kicked around the idea of using Win7 and WMC on a desktop ever since I first used it on a laptop.

Well I think I am ready but after hours of researching, I have learned a lot but feel I am ready for some advice or to be pushed in a certain direction. I am more comfortable with tech than most, but this is a new world to me, so please bear with me. I want to accomplish a few things:

Get rid of my cable box from TimeWarner and use my HTPC for live TV and recording.
Use the HTPC for other media, mainly 1080p movie files.
Have a Windows device in my entertainment center to run a few programs on my TV that I use that need Windows.
Have a secondary storage in my entertainment center within the HTPC or next to it for storage of media files and the backup of a few small files. (2-3TB)

So firstly, should I have a large HD in the HTPC or one in the entertainment center next to it (such as the WD my book live)? Could other computers and tablets access the files on the HTPC if it is hooked into the router and act similar to the WD My Book Live? I guess that is what is appealing to me about something like the WD My Book Live.

Next, I am not ruling out building an HTPC but I rather purchase one or purchase and slightly modify rather than build from scratch. After researching many net-top type units that claim to be for HTPC use, it seems maybe just buying a desktop would be better for me especially considering I want to use this for PVR use? Seems like a desktop would give me more computer power, as well as option and upgrade flexibility. Am I right in this thought? What are the specs I should be looking for? Any popular models that are used?

The Ceton InfiniTV seems to be a great product and what I need to use my TimeWarner cable for premium channels as well as record multiples? This should fit in anything with a PCI slot?

Lastly, I will want to control all this with my Logitech Harmony remote, just as I use it to control everything else in the living room. How will this be possible for watching TV with the HTPC? .. Obviously it will still work with the RF signal to the TV, but can or how will it interact with the computer running Windows Media Center or XBMC?

I guess that is all for now. What else am I missing or no thinking of? Thanks so much in advance. Big Grin

(2012-08-21, 08:31)eyedontno Wrote: I ordered one from here http://assassinhtpc.com/ ... Its not here yet but I cant wait..I previously owned an xbox running xbmc.They have a great selection and great reviews. You can also have them build you a custom htpc.

I have done quite a bit of research into building an HTPC, and have gotten in touch with the guys from AssassinHTPC, and from what they've been able to tell me it sounds like their products are almost exactly what OP is looking to do. They will build a custom PC that meets the specific requirements you choose from their site, and pre-configure all of the necessary software (which includes XBMC) so you can have all your movies in one spot, as well as a computer that can do other things (browse the internet, email, etc) right from your living room.

From what I can see on their hardware page pretty much any of their set ups will be able to handle the type of streaming you're looking for, and I would get AT LEAST an Intel i3 processor in your build.

The one thing I would check on however is the case size. It looks like their "prestige" size case is going to be about the size of an amplifier, so if you're looking to add to your Media Center setup, make sure you have the space first. If that size is too big, I'd try and do a build using their "Elite" series case. The trade-off however looks to be that what you will make up with a smaller footprint, you will lose as far as options for storage space.

I'm not sure if their "Elite" size case will fit an SSD and two regular size HDD's.

I am personally starting to piece together an "Elite" build, (click-pop for screensSmile http://imgur.com/a/xBK6V so I can start to get all of my movies and such in one central location. With the Plex option (build #1), you're able to watch all of your content from another computer or device that has the ability to get online, as long as the host device is connected to the internet as well.

I did ask them about the possibility of having a TV tuner card installed as well, which they can do if you want to have live TV stream through your box and ditch the DVR that the cable company will try to sell you, so with that set up and other applications (Hulu and Netflix have add-ons you can install within XBMC) you can have pretty much any sort of media you could ever want at your fingertips.

As far as the controller issue, I'm not exactly sure how it would work with the PC, because I'm not sure if the Assassin builds have an IR receiver attached to it, but I believe most of the controllers you can buy would come with a USB IR receiver you'd just have to plug in to one of the available slots.

I would definitely get in contact with them, since they seem to have what you're looking for!

I hope I've been helpful, I only know this stuff myself because I too am looking to buy. If you need to contact the Assassin guys, they're pretty helpful and have so far responded to my emails rather quickly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me into the HTPC world0