My "Gort" A6 build for beginners
Hey DT,

I will definitely check out the unraid build. My 2tb hdd is steadily withering away. For now, I was going to try the ipad remote app called constellation. I've heard good things about it so far. Still trying to get my library set up correctly before I even treat myself to a remote, lol.

Quick question, how common is the 24p sync issue and do you guys have any bad experiences with it? It seems like the audio might be (every so slightly) ahead of the video with my current settings....i'm trying different methods to see if I can get everything matched up perfectly.
so, I have a small update. I decided to get rid of the powerline adapters and run a cat6 from my router on the first floor to my HTPC on the second floor. the powerline adapters were fine for streaming music from my workstation to my HTPC but terrible for transferring movies. I was getting between 10-12 MB/s! Since my workstation is my main ripping/downloading rig, speed is vital. After hard wiring my HTPC, I am seeing speeds around 60MB/s average for large file transfers. This is still on the low side from what I read but I think my network adapter on my workstation is outdated. I plan on dropping about 12 bucks and picking up a gigabit network adapter to see if that helps. However, there was DRASTIC improvement by eliminating the powerline adapters and hard wiring. I will keep you guys posted.
(2012-08-31, 06:46)azula Wrote: so, I have a small update. I decided to get rid of the powerline adapters and run a cat6 from my router on the first floor to my HTPC on the second floor. the powerline adapters were fine for streaming music from my workstation to my HTPC but terrible for transferring movies. I was getting between 10-12 MB/s! Since my workstation is my main ripping/downloading rig, speed is vital. After hard wiring my HTPC, I am seeing speeds around 60MB/s average for large file transfers. This is still on the low side from what I read but I think my network adapter on my workstation is outdated. I plan on dropping about 12 bucks and picking up a gigabit network adapter to see if that helps. However, there was DRASTIC improvement by eliminating the powerline adapters and hard wiring. I will keep you guys posted.

Hello...

Great build ...by-the-way. Check out this post, very informative on speeds

SORRY....just realized your not transferring to unRAID
Just got 80% of the parts.
I have a question: I would like to add SSD in addition to 2 HDD that I'm going to install on the optical cage of SilverStone ML03B.
My question is: does SSD need the little yellow shock observers? or becasue it not mechanical there is no use to them?

I did not use the shock absorbers with my build primarily because the screws included with the case weren't long enough. The barely fit mounting just the ssd to the bracket. I don't think you need to worry about the absorbers, especially if you don't plan on moving the HTPC too much.
(2012-08-31, 06:57)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2012-08-31, 06:46)azula Wrote: so, I have a small update. I decided to get rid of the powerline adapters and run a cat6 from my router on the first floor to my HTPC on the second floor. the powerline adapters were fine for streaming music from my workstation to my HTPC but terrible for transferring movies. I was getting between 10-12 MB/s! Since my workstation is my main ripping/downloading rig, speed is vital. After hard wiring my HTPC, I am seeing speeds around 60MB/s average for large file transfers. This is still on the low side from what I read but I think my network adapter on my workstation is outdated. I plan on dropping about 12 bucks and picking up a gigabit network adapter to see if that helps. However, there was DRASTIC improvement by eliminating the powerline adapters and hard wiring. I will keep you guys posted.

Hello...

Great build ...by-the-way. Check out this post, very informative on speeds

SORRY....just realized your not transferring to unRAID

Thanks cpthook,

I am having a few small issues after installing the new gigabit network adapter. I think it may be due to the fact I am running a cat5 cable from my workstation to my router. Also, using homegroup to share files sucks! all of the files don't show up and the connection is very unreliable. looking into other options currently.
Great build azula! I'm starting my own A6 build soon based off Beer40oz's specs. Nice media room setup as well!
Thanks alot JoeBoy! Make sure you let us know how your build go and take a lot of pictures (as Gort would say).

Everything is up and running, so far so good. Just installed Aeon Mq3 and Ember for a scraper. I found that MCM kept crashing and overall wasn't as user friendly as Ember. and I'm LOVING the mq3 layout too. Unraid server will be built sooner than I expected as my 2tb HDD is filling up very quickly.
(2012-09-01, 06:07)JoeBoyTexas Wrote: Great build azula! I'm starting my own A6 build soon based off Beer40oz's specs. Nice media room setup as well!

You will enjoy it! I am amazed how many people have fallowed.

(2012-09-07, 07:08)azula Wrote: Thanks alot JoeBoy! Make sure you let us know how your build go and take a lot of pictures (as Gort would say).

Everything is up and running, so far so good. Just installed Aeon Mq3 and Ember for a scraper. I found that MCM kept crashing and overall wasn't as user friendly as Ember. and I'm LOVING the mq3 layout too. Unraid server will be built sooner than I expected as my 2tb HDD is filling up very quickly.

Yes pictures gets us exited. Hehe.... MQ3 is the best skin i have tried and the one I use.

Good job guys...

(2012-09-07, 07:39)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-09-01, 06:07)JoeBoyTexas Wrote: Great build azula! I'm starting my own A6 build soon based off Beer40oz's specs. Nice media room setup as well!

You will enjoy it! I am amazed how many people have fallowed.

(2012-09-07, 07:08)azula Wrote: Thanks alot JoeBoy! Make sure you let us know how your build go and take a lot of pictures (as Gort would say).

Yes pictures gets us exited. Hehe.... MQ3 is the best skin i have tried and the one I use.

Good job guys...

You Sir are a pioneer!

Would anyone direct me to instructions on how to post a debug log? I have no reason to do so yet but I would like to know if it does become necessary
Hey guys,

This topic almost tipped me over the edge to start my own build.
The main reason is, that im fed up with the last media players iv've owned wich
gave me nothing but troubles (Boxee/Xtreamer Sidewinder3).

I plan to stream HD 1080p mkv's and Bluray 3D iso movie's from my NAS to the HTPC.
Can you guys tell me if i can play such files (Especially the Bluray 3D iso's) without a single stutter?? This is my main concern tbh.
Audio will go via Optical out to my DTS/5.1 receiver.

Hardware i plan to use is:

- AMD A8-3850
- Some 4Gb 1600mhz mem
- Same PSU as in this build
- Same Motherboard as this build
- And a SSD drive

Will this be enough to do the things i want to do? I could use ur opinions Wink.
(2012-09-11, 12:06)Lakigucci Wrote: Hey guys,

This topic almost tipped me over the edge to start my own build.
The main reason is, that im fed up with the last media players iv've owned wich
gave me nothing but troubles (Boxee/Xtreamer Sidewinder3).

I plan to stream HD 1080p mkv's and Bluray 3D iso movie's from my NAS to the HTPC.
Can you guys tell me if i can play such files (Especially the Bluray 3D iso's) without a single stutter?? This is my main concern tbh.
Audio will go via Optical out to my DTS/5.1 receiver.

Hardware i plan to use is:

- AMD A8-3850
- Some 4Gb 1600mhz mem
- Same PSU as in this build
- Same Motherboard as this build
- And a SSD drive

Will this be enough to do the things i want to do? I could use ur opinions Wink.

Yes, yes,..and yes,....to all of your questions.
You should start a new thread and you'll get more opinions that way.
Plus make sure you post pictures of your build,..would love to see it being built and the final product.
Then i think ill be hopping to the shop these days Wink.
Ill post a build log np Wink.
Well I got constellation up and running. Talk about icing on the cake!! the layout is phenomenal! I can also control XBMC through my ipad app called roomie remote. I use roomie to control all my other components in the theater including the lights but the interface for XBMC pails in comparison to constellation. I will probably start everything up with roomie then flip over to constellation for any actual browsing. I am very impressed with this app and it's capabilities!

question for you guys. what music scrapers are you all using? all my music was tagged, organized and imported but xbmc refuses to grab any type of artwork or album information. i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? i recently downloaded mp3tag and notices that the type of take varies between id3 and mp4 if that means anything?
(2012-09-13, 23:16)azula Wrote: Well I got constellation up and running. Talk about icing on the cake!! the layout is phenomenal! I can also control XBMC through my ipad app called roomie remote. I use roomie to control all my other components in the theater including the lights but the interface for XBMC pails in comparison to constellation. I will probably start everything up with roomie then flip over to constellation for any actual browsing. I am very impressed with this app and it's capabilities!

question for you guys. what music scrapers are you all using? all my music was tagged, organized and imported but xbmc refuses to grab any type of artwork or album information. i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? i recently downloaded mp3tag and notices that the type of take varies between id3 and mp4 if that means anything?

I have found that scraping can be pretty frustrating.
One of the biggest problems is that the scraper looks for an exact name,..or some predefined format.
So when you rip music or movies,...the app will give you a default name to save the file,..or you can save as a different name.
These names can be ever so slightly different enough that the scraper doesn't recognize it at all.
I've gone to IMBD to get the exact name of the movie and then rename the file to match.
Yup...my box is up and running now and I love it. I don't have a lot of music, but I load some songs up and none of the album art loadedSad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My "Gort" A6 build for beginners1