Proper smb workgroups and whole network support.
Question 
hello all. i would like to see in xbmc proper smb workgroup support when browsing shares in a whole workgroup rather than individual pc's (which would require to edit the xml file to reflect the proper computer). even better would be support for whole smb networks (smb:/// handler) which in turn would reveal other workgroups in the network too.

reason(s) for this:
<ul>
[*]you've got more than one pc on your home (your's, your parents and your brother/sister all have their pcs), but all of you are sharing files through the network by means of belonging to the same workgroup. so you'd just direct your xbox to smb://workgroup to see all the shares in all the computers currently connected (i.e turned on).
[*]your aunt and uncle just came back for their trip to europe and have all the family gathered around a minuscule 12" monitor laptop trying to show the rest of the family the photos they took in their trip. wouldn't it be better to just hook up the comptuer to the netowork and stream the pictures to your xbox and to your living room tv set? :lol:
[*]suppose you have a friend who comes to your house with his laptop and he's got a plethora of videos stored in it (music videos, fun stuff, etc), and you'd like to see them in your living room tv set which is nicely connected to your xbox, which in turn is connected to your house's network. you've got some spots free in your switch and wireless access point, so your friend can hook right up. but so it happens that your household uses a certain workgroup that your friend does not belong to... too much of a hassle to change the pc to your home's workgroup as it would require a couple reboots. in windows you can search for nearby computers that not necesarily are in the same workgroup, just as long as the shares are visible to anyone, there should not be a problem. xbmc should be able to scan the whole smb network (smb:///) to see if there are any other workgroups/servers to which connect to, and then stream.
[*]you move your xbox from place to place and it'd be better to configure it only once and stream "anywhere" where's an smb configured network, as such having the flexibility of not tying yourself to a comptuer/workgroup in particular.
[/list]

i think the above reasons are shared by many xbox owners, plus many others particular to users (those were the only ones i could actually think of for now). but i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who thinks about that.
rather than edit the previous post, i "autoreply" to my own post... maybe i should have said how's the current state of things, but then again, i do no know if i'm having an issue on its own right, since this has already been implemented or if indeed this is missing. currently (if i'm not mistaken about the version i've got [june 20th]) what will happen is that whenever i direct the xbox to browse a workgroup, it sees the servers in the group, but can't list their shares (trying to access them results in returning to the browser main screen), it does not recognize smb:/// (whole smb network) as a valid smb network construct to browse independently of workgroups.

if this has already been implemented, my apologies.

and the usual :kickass: :bowdown: :kickass: to the devs, this program is so Cool
try "smb://" that should work
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

will do.

thank you darkie... i'll report back :d

edit:
:kickass: you rock, that worked!!! :kickass:

:bowdown: thank you!!! :bowdown:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proper smb workgroups and whole network support.0