My first HTPC build! Help?
Tongue 
After reading through some posts I've decided to avoid AMD as I'm going with a Linux, possibly Openelec, HTPC.
Just wanted to hear what you xbmc pros might have to say about the build I've been looking at Tongue

[CPU] Intel Core i3 2120 3.3Ghz
[MOBO] Asus P8H77-I
[RAM] G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ripjaws X Edition Dual Channel
[SSD] Crucial m4 2.5'' 64GB SSD MLC SATA III CT064M4SSD2
[CASE] Thermaltake Element Q Mini-ITX Black Case with 220W SFX PSU
[CASE FAN] Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Case Fan 1500RPM

I know that the Motherboard is a little, maybe more than a little, overkill but I thought that I might as well go future proof.
I would have gone with the i3 2120T but it's not available where I am, figured it doesn't matter all that much as it's just a downclocked version, right?
This build is by no means final and I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions.
Also been wondering, should I buy a CPU cooler? Or is the Intel stock one decent enough?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Changed SSD to Crucial m4 2.5'' 64GB SSD MLC SATA III CT064M4SSD2
Stock Intel cooler is sufficient, but if you want one the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B seems to be the most recommend. You might need to switch to lower profile RAM though if you go with an aftermarket low profile cooler.

Ivy Bridge i3's are rumoured to be released on Sept. 2nd so you may want to wait and get a i3-3220 for around the same price.

I would also switch to a SSD with a Marvell controller, better reliability.
For non-gaming the stock CPU cooler is fine for HTPC. The Intel CPUs are very efficient.
(2012-08-22, 01:05)Arkitket Wrote: Stock Intel cooler is sufficient, but if you want one the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B seems to be the most recommend. You might need to switch to lower profile RAM though if you go with an aftermarket low profile cooler.

Ivy Bridge i3's are rumoured to be released on Sept. 2nd so you may want to wait and get a i3-3220 for around the same price.

I would also switch to a SSD with a Marvell controller, better reliability.

I see, I guess I will wait for Ivy then.
I was under the impression that 1333Mhz was pretty much low profile, what kind of cooler should I be using?
Also, on the Asus website there's a list for officially supported ram sticks, and there are no 1333mhz ones, only 1600mhz and above, is this a problem?
And thanks for the info about the SSD!

(2012-08-22, 01:15)assassin Wrote: For non-gaming the stock CPU cooler is fine for HTPC. The Intel CPUs are very efficient.

Thanks for clarifying : )
(2012-08-22, 01:05)Arkitket Wrote: I would also switch to a SSD with a Marvell controller, better reliability.
What SSD come with that, and what's the benefit?

(2012-08-22, 07:38)jaochoo Wrote:
(2012-08-22, 01:05)Arkitket Wrote: I would also switch to a SSD with a Marvell controller, better reliability.
What SSD come with that, and what's the benefit?

The Marvel controller offers a signification stability boost compared to the Sandfire controller with just little speed compromise.
A quick google put you in the right direction.
As for me, I think I'll go with a Crucial m4 2.5'' 64GB SSD MLC SATA III CT064M4SSD2 now ^^
hmm okay, thanks for that. I bought a Samsung 830 (64GB). Hope that wasn't a wrong decision (seems the Samsung doesn't come with that controller but it's own technology)..
Samsung Ivan excellent ssd. Has their own proprietary controller. Great choice.
(2012-08-22, 00:57)idodos Wrote: [CPU] Intel Core i3 2120 3.3Ghz
[MOBO] Asus P8H77-I
[RAM] G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ripjaws X Edition Dual Channel
[SSD] Crucial m4 2.5'' 64GB SSD MLC SATA III CT064M4SSD2
[CASE] Thermaltake Element Q Mini-ITX Black Case with 220W SFX PSU
[CASE FAN] Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Case Fan 1500RPM

Very similar to my Linux HTPC !! However, I find it as an overkill on a couple of items, so if you want to save a few bucks, this is what I have:
[CPU] Intel Celeron G530: goes for around $50
[RAM] any brand 2GB is good
[SSD] 32GB (more than enough for a Linux install)

My machine with the above items has plenty of CPU power (responsive and snappy), uses 20% of RAM and has used about half of my 32GB SSD even though I have a fairly big library. Stock CPU cooler, can barely hear it.
(2012-08-22, 07:20)idodos Wrote: I see, I guess I will wait for Ivy then.
I was under the impression that 1333Mhz was pretty much low profile, what kind of cooler should I be using?
Also, on the Asus website there's a list for officially supported ram sticks, and there are no 1333mhz ones, only 1600mhz and above, is this a problem?
And thanks for the info about the SSD!

1333Mhz is the RAM speed, has nothing to do with the height of the ram due to fins.

For low profile RAM, the corsair vengeance or g.skill ares line is good. 1600Mhz won't be a problem, If you get a Sandy Bridge i3 then you can step the RAM down to 1333Mhz, if you get a Ivy Bridge then it can run easily at 1600Mhz

(2012-08-22, 09:13)jaochoo Wrote: hmm okay, thanks for that. I bought a Samsung 830 (64GB). Hope that wasn't a wrong decision (seems the Samsung doesn't come with that controller but it's own technology)..

The Samsung 830 series is a really good SSD. It's predecessor, the 470 series, has had great reliability results and reviewers of the 830 feel confident that the 830 series will be no different in terms of reliability.

The Crucial M4 though is a great SSD with a Marvell controller, the Samsung desktop kit is a bit pricier.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first HTPC build! Help?0