networking problem!! unraid + XBCM... cat5e or modem?
I'm moving into my new place, We don't have a modem or internet yet.

How can I run XBMC from my HTPC to my unraid machine?

do I

a) buy a modem and create a home network

or can i b) use a 20M cat5e cable and connect the HTPC to the server and XBMC recognise the unraid shares?
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
"a) buy a modem and create a home network"
Not sure what you are referring to by "modem"... Maybe a switch? If this is the case, then yes, a switch preferably with Gigabit speed is your best option.

Just a cable... no. It may work, but you can't add anything else to your "network" as it is comprised of just the 2 machines at each end of the cable.

And last but not least... avoid wireless as much as possible. Run Cat5e cables to your switch instead.
Buy a router and, if using hard-wired (Ethernet) connections, Cat5 cable.

You can add the modem later once you've settled on an Internet service provider (ISP).
sorry, thats what i meant. a router!!

okay, so a router is my only solution?
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
You can connect the unraid machine directly to the HTPC. It doesn't automatically work like how a router would work. You have to set the IP address of two machines manually.

However, I would suggest you get a router or a switch though. A lot easier that way.
Well, if you ever plan to access the Internet, you will need a router anyway, so you might as well get it now and it will provide you with the connectivity you currently need between your HTPC and server.
(2012-08-22, 20:46)aoaaron Wrote: sorry, thats what i meant. a router!!

okay, so a router is my only solution?

The routers always come with an embeeded switch, usually 4 ports. I'd say a router is your best all-in-one solution, as it will allow you to upstream to your new ISP whenever you get it.

Some ISP's will even provide the router depending on the plan you buy, so you may want to shop around before spending...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
networking problem!! unraid + XBCM... cat5e or modem?0