A Few XBMC Questions (Newb)
Hi guys,

For some reason, I'm way behind on getting a HTPC set up (I'm still running films off CD, external HD, streaming via TVersity/XBOX) and I thought it's about time I got with the times.

I've looked a bit into it, and it appears as though an Acer Revo RL70 seems to be a good unit to use (all agreed?)

However, the unit I've seen is a Linux system. I am aware that XBMC has a Linux client, but how does it differ from the Windows system in terms of set-up/booting into XBMC? Bearing in mind I've never used a Linux/Ubuntu system before, is it easy to do? Or is it recommended to clear the device and stick W7 on it first?

I've seen XBMC requires you to select a source for your media. My question is; can I select more than one source, from multiple devices, and have XBMC collate them all together? I do not have a NAS, so I will probably have media on my PC hard drive, a small external hard drive (obviously connected to the RL70), my laptop and possibly the RL70 itself (seeing as it has a 640GB HDD), Is this possible? Or, do you have to select one source for all, and so really need a NAS or bigger external HD (I'll probably need at least a 2TB one)?

I saw on another forum someone suggest to strip the HD out of the RL70 and put it in a case to use as a secondary external storage, then put XBMC on a USB stick and have the unit boot from that. What are the upsides of this, as opposed to just leaving the HD internal? Will XBMC not recognise the storage space if it is installed on that space?

I think that's all my immediate questions Big Grin. I really hope someone wouldn't mind answering these questions and helping me out, as the unit isn't cheap and I would hate to buy it and THEN find out it's not ideal for me without spending more money!

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.
(2012-08-22, 21:03)philip697 Wrote: However, the unit I've seen is a Linux system. I am aware that XBMC has a Linux client, but how does it differ from the Windows system in terms of set-up/booting into XBMC? Bearing in mind I've never used a Linux/Ubuntu system before, is it easy to do? Or is it recommended to clear the device and stick W7 on it first?
Even if you decide to run XBMC on Linux, you'd probably want to erase the preinstalled Linux and install your own. There are "pre-packaged" XBMC/Linux offerings such as XBMCbuntu and OpenELEC that allow you to boot your system quickly and directly into XBMC without having to interact with the underlying operating system. They provide a more appliance-like user experience out-of-the-box than if you had to install Windows, XBMC and then tweak it to improve boot time and hide the OS from the casual user.
Quote:I've seen XBMC requires you to select a source for your media. My question is; can I select more than one source, from multiple devices, and have XBMC collate them all together?
Yes, you can specify multiple media sources. If you scan your media into the library, XBMC will present them in a unified manner (e.g., list your movies and/or TV shows by genre, title, actor, etc.; music by album, artist, title, genre, etc.), regardless of where the physical files are located. Also, you will benefit from having movie/TV show information, fanart, thumbnails, etc. displayed. You can even search your media library to locate content.
Quote:I saw on another forum someone suggest to strip the HD out of the RL70 and put it in a case to use as a secondary external storage, then put XBMC on a USB stick and have the unit boot from that. What are the upsides of this, as opposed to just leaving the HD internal? Will XBMC not recognise the storage space if it is installed on that space?
You can leave the hard drive internal and install on it your OS, XBMC and, if the drive is large enough, your media files. Not sure about the reason for externalizing the hard drive other than perhaps keeping the OS and XBMC application separate from the data. Keep in mind that booting from and running a system with a USB stick will likely be more sluggish than with a hard drive. If you like the idea of using a solid-state drive for your OS/XBMC installation, consider a small SSD drive instead -- much faster and more reliable than a USB stick.
Awesome. That's a great help, thank you very much artrafael.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A Few XBMC Questions (Newb)0