TESTING a Virtual XBMC Machine running ESXI
Brick 
Today I will be starting my testing to make a virtual XBMC machine on a Dell Optiplex 790 and ESXI 5 Update 1.

GOAL: Make a virtual XBMC machine or 2 and test its performance.

I added a second ATI video adapter into the machine and will see how far I get!

ISSUE 01: On the install of ESXI it does not work with the network adapter. I'll fix this and update the thread soon! Thanks!

Fix - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsi...=2005205#1

Went on a vacation for a few days. But today I managed to get ESXI installed on the Optiplex 790.

ISSUE 02: It seems VT-d technology is limited to i5 and i7 processors only. Going to see what other machines I can try this on. I'll be back with more news.

I found an HP with an i7 and will load ESXI on it in the morning.

Loaded ESXI on HP this morning. Enabled VT-d in BIOS. Added 2 PCI video adapters. Will now start building virtual machines. This machine has VGA and display port on main board. The video adapters have both Svideo and DVI.

Installed one virtual machine with XBMC. XBMC is running. Now to get passthough to work.

ISSUE 03: Every time I enable passthough for a PCI device and reboot the system hangs. Looking into this....

Here is a document that helps solve passthrough issues. http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_4_vmdirectpath_host.pdf Its for VMware 4.x looking for 5.x info.

Will resume work on this on Tuesday.

Read new updates below.
Got a question for you.

What's the benefit of creating a virtual XBMC machine using ESXI?
Is there a way to load this virtual xbmc using some kind of device?
You can run many XBMC machines from 1 box. Each having its own video card. From each video card you would just need to run hdmi to a TV or monitor with hdmi. Some motherboards allow 5 or more video cards. No equipment in rooms. Just a TV on the wall if you like. Equipment cost could be less.

One central box. Each machine could share a database hosted on the ESXI server or another server. They could even boot using PXE.

That is just for starters......

Second question: The virtual machine hard drive can be used by anyone who also has the ability to install it. Save them config time.
Interesting... and i think i mis-phrased the 2nd question. I thought you would remote into the Virtual Machine to get XBMC or something. did not understand how this would work.

i didn't think about having multiple video card and running differenet instances of xbmc through that.. very interesting
So how much RAM and CPU are you allocating each XBMC machine? I assume they will be OpenElec machines as that will require a much lower overhead.

Out of interest what are the spec of your Dell server. It will be interesting to see the results of running multiple virtual machines all pulling 1080p BD rips off your server simultaneously. I was going to try this ages ago with an Asus Crosshair IV Formula (supports IOMMU & has 4*PCIe slots) but never got round to it.

Good luck
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
This is a very limited test. Only a dell optiplex 790 with 8 gig of ram. Im trying to do the test as a proof of concept for I spend 2000 bucks on full gear. If this limited test works I'm all in! Rather do this than run 4 physical machines. Another nice thing is I ran also run more than just the xbmc machines. Like asterisks and such. PXE server. Can even run your unraid in it if you like.
Great!!! Continue to document, I'm very interested in your results..
Subscribed to this thread!
Same here. If this works that would open up a lot of new possibilities.
I will be following this very carefully. Have been pondering this same situation earlier, but didn't have the hardware for it.
If this works - I will be investing in some new hardware! Smile
My project however was using a virtualmachine connected to a touchscreen in the kitchen.

PLZ make it work and I for one will follow suit Smile
This is neat! Wink
I'm assuming that you can pass-through a USB IR that is connected to the host for each VM running XBMC?
bisk
that isn't a problem, that works.

author:
that testing hardware you are using, does it have integrated graphics aswell? You will need graphics for both the host and the dedicated for the virtualmachine - they can't share it as far as I know.
(2012-08-24, 16:23)bisk Wrote: I'm assuming that you can pass-through a USB IR that is connected to the host for each VM running XBMC?

That's the million dollar question most people will prolly want to know the answer to. HERE is what he said about it!
(2012-08-24, 20:10)iwaru Wrote: bisk
that isn't a problem, that works.

author:
that testing hardware you are using, does it have integrated graphics aswell? You will need graphics for both the host and the dedicated for the virtualmachine - they can't share it as far as I know.

I think he answered your question in post #3
Can't see why it wouldn't work if you have a vt-d or a iommu mobo. not much need for a usb ir, you could control xbmc from an hdmi cec. Then as the op says you only need a hdmi cable from the server to each amp / tv.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TESTING a Virtual XBMC Machine running ESXI0