Revo R3610, R3700 RL70 ?
Ok, I'm tired of reading. Please help.

My requirements are pretty simple, I want to put a Revo in my lounge, hook it up to my HD TV and use XBMC and Win7 on it.

Primary purpose is to have something which can play all my Mpeg-2/Mpeg-4 and Mp3 / FLAC material that I've accrued over the years. As the hi-fi amp is in the lounge too I could finally enjoy my music collection through some proper hardware.

Secondary objective is to use the machine as a Windows Desktop for the kids and for the missus to browse the net and watch the various UK TV Catch-up online stuff.

That's it really I think. Wouldn't mind starting to rip some of my Blu-Rays to the unit (or a removable HDD) too.

Wireless or Wired ethernet, either is good, I'll put the router right next to it anyway.

From what I can gather, the 3610, 3700 and RL70 will all run XBMC flawlessly? The prices for the RL70 hover between £200-250 depending on RAM, Optical Drive option, WLAN option and OS. Used, a 3610 or 3700 would be about £100 cheaper, if I can find one.

A remote would be nice.

Should I save some money and source a 3700? Or is it worth shelling out the extra pounds for the latest incarnation of the Revo?

All advice appreciated.

Smile

Do I need the extra spec of the
I used to have a R3610 (think you made a typo saying R3160), It ran BD rips via OpenElec perfectly. I set one up for my brother in law, his had Windows 7 installed and the same videos would stutter, presumably because of the huge resource windows was using.

I now have a R3700 and dual boot Windows & OpenElec and it is perfect for me. Just tried a 1080p BD rip in windows and it seems to play fine. If you dual boot OpenElec/Windows you could probably get away with 2GB. If you intent to just use Windows I would say you will need 4GB RAM.

I have no experience with the new RL70
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-08-23, 21:44)charlie0440 Wrote: I used to have a R3610 (think you made a typo saying R3160), It ran BD rips via OpenElec perfectly. I set one up for my brother in law, his had Windows 7 installed and the same videos would stutter, presumably because of the huge resource windows was using.

I now have a R3700 and dual boot Windows & OpenElec and it is perfect for me. Just tried a 1080p BD rip in windows and it seems to play fine. If you dual boot OpenElec/Windows you could probably get away with 2GB. If you intent to just use Windows I would say you will need 4GB RAM.

I have no experience with the new RL70

Thanks! And correct about the typo!

I have priced up some 'as new' Revo 2GB 3700's on ebay, but at only £50less than a basic spec RL70, plus the fact that the RL70 comes with 4GB Ram, that doesn't seem much of a saving. Very much leaning toward the RL70 at this point in time. It does appear though that only the model with the Blue Ray Optical Drive (which then has a double thickness chassis) can support IR internally.

I have a 2gb 3700 and it runs Windows 7 just fine,
admittedly all I do on this is run XBMC, sopcast/vlc and do the odd web browsing on it.
I've set up a couple of RL70's for friends recently they are good little boxes probably fractionally faster than the 3700 but there's not much real world difference (or there wasn't in the things I tried) between the two.
The other plus point if you can track down a 3700 is it can be mounted easilly to the back of the tv.
Ebuyer seem to be having a sale on for RL70's at the moment so you might get one with a few more £'s knocked off.
decided to stop procrastinating and just got an RL70 from ebuyer, ex-display, £235. 4gb ram, Win 7 x64 (hope x64 can run xbmc as a 32-bit app ok).

A 3700 might have been fine but as discontinued, problematic to buy and they still hold their value somewhat.
(2012-08-23, 23:09)OdgeUK Wrote: decided to stop procrastinating and just got an RL70 from ebuyer, ex-display, £235. 4gb ram, Win 7 x64 (hope x64 can run xbmc as a 32-bit app ok).

A 3700 might have been fine but as discontinued, problematic to buy and they still hold their value somewhat.

XBMC is fine on X64 Windows 7, my main pc is a 64 bit Windows 7 machine and XBMC runs like a dream on it.

I'm having a heck of a time getting 1080p with digital 5.1 working with my 3610. Other than that, it works great.
I know you have already purchased the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P. But I wanted to add my Thumbs Up to this device!

It comes pre-installed with Windows 7, a wireless keyboard, remote, and all you'd have to do is install XBMC.
I have installed this for a few friends,..and know of many more that purchased it and loved it.
+1 to what GortWillSaveUs said.
As long as you don't expect too much out of it like transcoding videos or heavy photoshopping the RL70's are really good little boxes.
I bought my 3700 shortly after setting up my friends RL70's, the only reasons I chose it over the newer model were (having done my research) a larger hard drive for the equivalent models, the abilty to mount on the tv easilly, cheaper price (I was on a very tight budget), still available new then and knowing it did everything a bedroom media centre/pc needed to for my specific needs.
I think you will be very happy with your purchase.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revo R3610, R3700 RL70 ?0