My experiance with the Xtreamer Ultra 2
I just built a new system for myself with a Zotac D2700-itx. Haven't installed anything but the OS yet. I use the pci-e slot for a tv card.
(2012-08-31, 20:36)Greddy2000 Wrote: when I launch a menu with a 1080p movie playing in the background I too get a second of lag when it initially loads. After that it's gone. Yes there is a subtle lag too when moving throughout Bigfan view. I use low list viewtype (aeon nox as well) and the fanart dissolves into the next so I don't see lag. and yes this box runs hot, I get the same temps.
video playback is always flawless though.

Thank God it is not only me...Smile I thought that my box was faulty. So you get a lag( drop frame) when you launch a menu with 1080p movie playing in the background. But is this ok? I mean the platform is very powerfull, why it is dropping frames? Is it the openelec build? If I install windows will I have the same problem?

About how hot this box runs: Is it ok or it will make harm to it?

@sstavross

can you switch to confluence and post me a log when this problem occurs?
Don't worry about temperatures around 60° as long as it does not hit 100
So how you guys liking the Xtreamer? how is the noise level on them?

Intel Atom D2700
NVIDIA GT520

Sounds like a good combo for openelec...
(2012-11-23, 00:42)Beer40oz Wrote: So how you guys liking the Xtreamer? how is the noise level on them?

Intel Atom D2700
NVIDIA GT520

Sounds like a good combo for openelec...

Arranged two of these (Xtreamer Ultra 2) - one running OpenELEC, the other Win7.
Does a great job on both... OpenELEC is the platform of choice for its simplicity though, IMHO... Update to the latest version of OE, though - bundled version is old.

Plays anything I can throw at it smoothly under both OSes.

Noise is low; has a single fan (relies on some passive cooling); processor cores and GPU stay fairly cool (though the HDD runs a bit warm). Nice form factor, bundled remote is good. Would recommend it.
(2012-08-31, 22:40)FernetMenta Wrote: I just built a new system for myself with a Zotac D2700-itx. Haven't installed anything but the OS yet. I use the pci-e slot for a tv card.

@FernetMenta out of interest, what tv card are you using with your D2700-ITX ?
I found the ultra 2 to be a struggle since day 1. The SSD that is equiped with it is terribly slow, a 5400rpm seagate drive gave me quicker boot and load times. stock wifi card has horrendous transfer rates and signal (upgraded it to an intel 6230 and is working great). The biggest problem with the ultra 2 is the weak processor, anything that is hd and can't be decoded by the gpu is out of the units realm of descent playback. HD netflix is a perfect example of how limited the device already is. I've tried ubuntu, openelec and stripped down windows 7 (which gave me the best results) and still failed to be satisfied. I may resurrect the untit again and upgrade the msata card to a competent one and but a seagate hybrid drive in again (best bang for buck I tried it before i put it in my laptop and gave me excelent boot an load times). About 4 month of owning it ( i had it day 1) I gave up and built a a real htpc for just under $1000
Core2 quad qx9650 @ 3.5Ghz
amd 7870 2gb
120gb kingston ssd
2x 3tb hdd
8gb ram
would have been more expensive if I did a m atx system or i5+ type but didn't care to much after the ultra 2 which was a waste of $
the weakest part of the ultra 2 is the processor, if they did a core2duo or i3 or even an amd a8/10 they might have had a competent piece of hardware, but they put in a processor that was absolete befoe they released it.

They are terrible for deleting posts an banning on their forums if you even so much as hint negativity towards their product.
Xtreamer is notorious for their poor customer support (especially on their forums) - though I'd be inclined to say that for a PC, this kind of support isn't really that important since a PC can be maintained independent of vendor.

I also wasn't nuts about the wifi card: though I don't like using wifi for video streaming due to inherent unreliability of wifi in general, and the built-in Ethernet is gigabit, which works great.

Their processor decision (dual-core Atom) was likely deliberate (many purpose-built HTPC's use it) due to its low power footprint and subsequent reduction of heat: processors are one of the most power hungry components in a PC. The result is that the Xtreamer Ultra 2's fan is extremely quiet; something you won't get from, say, a Core processor. This obviously lowers power consumption of the device as well.

As for the SSD: I find its performance perfectly on-par for an MSATA SSD - which is to say, pretty fast. Perhaps yours is defective? OpenELEC boot-up times are (for me, at least) far better using the Xtreamer than even my more powerful HTPC setups with mechanical drives.

Overall, I've found the Xtreamer U2 all-round excellent (even after 7 months of ownership) and haven't hit a video that it couldn't smoothly decode - even 20GB 3D rips are smooth: though I don't use Netflix (I'm surprised that Netflix HD videos need to offloaded onto the CPU - I wonder why that is? Unusual codec, perhaps? Silverlight-related?)

Other pro's (for me at least) of the Xtreamer are its built-in IR Receiver (and bundled remote is very, very responsive), built-in Bluetooth, small form-factor (looks great under my TV) and the fact that it's quiet. It just feels really purpose-built for home theatre use.

I own two (one running OpenELEC, the other running Win7) and would happily get a third if I had another TV.

Incidentally, my Win7 one handles all my background downloads (via JDownloader), episode scraping (via TheRenamer), file serving, PVR OTA Recording (using Mediaportal Server and analog software MPG-encoding), PS3 BD-Remote input (via EventGhost), MySQL (for XBMC centralization); and serving content via XBMC to the HDMI-attached LED TV (using the resource-intensive Hybrid skin): and I don't notice any sluggishness at all! (I'm guessing the 4GB of RAM helps here!)
I am trying to stream full 3d from a WD HDD via USB3 to my Xtreamer Ultra 2. It copes with half 3d files, but badly stutters when trying to process full 1080p 3D files. Can anyone please advise me ( I am seventy, so please keep it simple, thanks)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My experiance with the Xtreamer Ultra 20