Which OS to choose for my NAS
A prebuild NAS would be expensive so i will try to build one.

The biggest problem for me is to choose the OS. I am mainly a Windows (GUI) user so would prefer a Windows based solution but in that case i doubt that it is the most suitable solution.
I have to mention that i am not interested in using RAID as a backup solution i will keep a copy of each drive out of the NAS.

So my main requirements are:
  • disk pooling (be keep them functional even when are separated so nothing like RAID 0)
  • keep my existing NTFS formatted drives untouched would be a plus
  • no hardware RAID

What i think about:

Bare-bone Windows (7/8 or Server edition is a must) - does it worth using drive path change?

- will lose one drive for Windows- viruses, malware and so on- will have to look for other (many) disk magnanimament and monitoring tolls
+ foobarUPnP (i have my collection well organized in its library)

FlexRAID - runs on Windows and Linux. In this case i like it because it would allow me to change OS and keep my pools. Would allow me to keep my NTFS formatted drives. As disadvantage (if i may call it so) would be that it require a OS so the load will be bigger but in exchange I will keep the environment I am familiar with.

- will lose one drive for Windows
(-) Viruses, malware and so on (if i install Windows)
+ foobarUPnP (i have my collection well organized in its library)
+ drives will be fully readable outside of the pool and on any other computer

unRAID - a linux distro having a software RAID (something like RAID 4). Good amount of documentation and it is very popular among XBMC users.

- cannot use my already existing and formatted drives. At least till i reformat them, but i am lazy Smile
(-/+) it may be possible to start foobar and foobarUPnP
? will i be able to use the drives (the data they keep) on other OS like OpenMediaVault if I decide to switch
+ no need for addition HDD only to run the OS
+ would be less stressful for the CPU
+ no viruses, malware and so on

FreeNAS - the RAM requirement is pretty high for the ZFS and also the 0.8 version lack some features presented in 0.7. That is why i think to avoid it.

From what know i tend to like FlexRaid from the described solutions. My knowledge in the area is almost none and that is why i ask for help. Anyone using unRAID having something to share in order to lure me?

PS
I am sorry for the wrong forum. Just realized it but i cannot delete my post.
When I ordered a server from Newegg.com, they threw in a copy of Windows Home Server 2011. I figured "what the hell... let's see". I was pleasantly surprised at the experience.

The only gripe was that iSCSI target was not built in and only available as a 3rd party add-on. That is a seriously geeky gripe and for the non-technical user, pretty much irrelevant.

For the same cost and almost as simple as a stand alone NAS it offered much more functionality. Everything available in Windows home server is available in free software but the integration of the features will be completely foreign for "a Windows (GUI) user".

My rig is a HP ProLiant ML 110 G7 with 10GB ram, 10TB of Disk running Windows Home Server 2011. I figure I spent $700.

The newegg link to my server above is a great deal at $370

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which OS to choose for my NAS0