Recently added movies problem
Bug 
Hi, I have the 24/8 build and I am experiencing the exact same problem as described in this previous thread about a July build:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=137118

Quick summary: Recently added movies are not appearing (an old list is permanently displayed), however it is working perfectly for TV shows.

The suggestion at the end was that this should be brought to this sub-forum, so that's what I'm doing! Big Grin

As already stated in many threads this is not a bug but a feature that was requested by many and which I wanted to see for a long time as well. The main problem is that with the way it works in Eden every time I update the information of a movie it will show up at the very top of the recently added movies list which is just plain wrong. So the only way around this is to use some other criteria to put together the recently added list and mtime/ctime is perfect for this. And there's no middle way between: I want every movie I add to the library to be on top but I don't want this to happen when I blow away my database and re-import all the movies. I don't say it's impossible but the way XBMC's database is written and organized right now makes it impossible.

And as already stated in the thread you linked: if you don't like it, change the behaviour through the advanced setting I added for people who prefer the old behaviour.

And just as an FYI: Just because most people reporting in this forum use sickbeard et. al. to get their movies doesn't mean that all of the people using XBMC do. I'm pretty sure that not even every hundredth person using XBMC uses sickbeard or anything like that. You have to remember that only the more "tech-savvy" people actually take the time to visit the forum here and read through threads etc. What about all the other people who just download XBMC, install it and use it without ever visiting the forum? You can't base your percentage numbers on just the people visiting this forum.
And I agree that usually you get a new movie (from a DVD, sickbeard or whatever you use) and you directly add it to the database, you don't leave it on your computer for a few years and then some day decide to add it.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
There's just one big limitation on how it's currently implemented, I forgot to ask about this before, thanks to this post I now remember :p

Don't know about other platforms but on Windows when you copy files using Explorer, the mtime is kept while the ctime is set to copy time.

So when you get new media from a friends hard-drive or usb key they are not seen as new.

A simple way to correct this would be to also get ctime and if ctime > mtime use ctime since I suppose it's much more frequent than users adds media to a source than fully moves a source to another place and hack database to point to new location.
The problem with ctime is that there's no real standard definition of ctime. On windows it's "creation time" but on linux (and depending on the distribution) it's "change time" which are two completely different things. On linux ctime changes all the time while on windows ctime only changes on copy/move. This would result in different behaviour depending on the operating system and/or even depending on the distribution which would result in a nightmare when every user describes a different behaviour.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
OP here - thanks for the tip, sorry for dredging this issue up again.
Sorry.. but changes I make to the XML file don't seem to result in a change in behavior of the recent list. Amy suggestions?
If you change advancedsettings.xml for dateadded it will only apply to new movies and not to movies already in your library. So you will have to re-scan the movies that don't match your expectations.
And don't forget you need to restart XBMC for the advancedsettings.xml changes to take effect.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recently added movies problem0