advice on my A8-3870k HTPC build
hey guys

starting a new HTPC build from scratch.....after reading eskro A8-3850 build thread I came up with this but need some help from you guys with my build

I want this to be able to

1. Play back all my mkv files flawlessly (Movie's and TV Show's)
2. play heavy xbmc skins flawlessly
4. play Emulators (Like PS1, N64, Sega ECT)
5. low power consumption and quiet

Case: Silverstone ML03B
CPU+iGPU: AMD A8-3870K
Mobo: ASRock A75M FM1 AMD A75
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB SSD
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
PSU: whats the best fanless PSU to get?
CPU cooler: Scythe BIG SHURIKEN 2
HDD: should I get 2TB wd green caviar? I heard thats good for low power consumption

I already own Windows 7 so I can just install by usb......I will store my tv shows, movies and games on the HDD....plus got my router near by so I can just hook up ethernet cable to it for internet
this will be my main media center

what you guys think? any help would be great thanks

The power consumption of a good HTPC should be watched carefully - sound level depends on this, too. The chosen CPU has a quite high TDP with 100W. An alternative would be the A8-3820 quad core APU with only 65W in case u get one. Even the A6-3500 with only three cores should satisfy all your needs easily! And don' t forget to do a correct undervolting using the Fusion Tweaker!

As PSU you should pick up one of these picoPSUs with an appropriate power rating:
(2012-08-26, 11:02)Gravediggaz Wrote: 5. low power consumption and quiet

CPU+iGPU: AMD A8-3870K
For low power and quiet HTPC, I wouldn't want A8-3870K in my case. I would have opted for "G20 plus HD6570" instead......it'll be easier for future upgrades too....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
AMD for some reason blows their TDP out of the water. Their "100w" TDP CPUs often top out at over 150w.

Hot and unneeded, imo, for a gaming build of any kind.
(2012-08-26, 11:46)MikeRD03 Wrote: The power consumption of a good HTPC should be watched carefully - sound level depends on this, too. The chosen CPU has a quite high TDP with 100W. An alternative would be the A8-3820 quad core APU with only 65W in case u get one. Even the A6-3500 with only three cores should satisfy all your needs easily! And don' t forget to do a correct undervolting using the Fusion Tweaker!

As PSU you should pick up one of these picoPSUs with an appropriate power rating:

maybe the A8-3850 would be better?

any advice on the PSU or HDD??

I was thinking about Seasonic X-400 Fanless Gold 400W for PSU
(2012-08-27, 13:17)Gravediggaz Wrote: maybe the A8-3850 would be better?
There is not much different between the 3850 and 3870. It still consumes the same amount of power and generate the same amount of heat. With G620+HD6570, you'll have stronger GPU than HD6550.....

The picoPSU devices are not only extremely small and fanless, they are also very effective (and therefore fanless). So first choice for a HTPC.
I have an A8-3870 APU in my desktop PC and it is really a fast APU doing complex CAD work here, but draws with TDP 100W around 150W at the wall socket, so including mainboard, usb and all losses. Btw, I tested Intel i3 models with also TDP 100W and they were not consuming less or keept cooler. That reputation seems to be merely a fairytale.

The best way saving energy and keeping things cool is undervoltaging - regardless if u take AMD or Intel.

My desktop A8-3870 is undervoltaged to 110W consumption instead of 150W on full power. Not the best choice for a HTPC, but it is even thinkable to mange that heat with a fanless housing. Intel was quite the same level.
My HTPC build you can see here: project: high performance - low power - fanless HTPC build is undervoltaged to 75W maximum with CPU AND GPU on maximum load including everything. It is A6-3500 based - IMHO the beste choice for a HTPC nowadays.
(2012-08-27, 17:35)MikeRD03 Wrote: I have an A8-3870 APU in my desktop PC and it is really a fast APU doing complex CAD work here, but draws with TDP 100W around 150W at the wall socket, so including mainboard, usb and all losses. Btw, I tested Intel i3 models with also TDP 100W and they were not consuming less or keept cooler. That reputation seems to be merely a fairytale.
It is not a fairytale. I built it, Assassin built ton of Intel HTPC's and other built it, and they all agreed that i3 consumes less power and run cooler than AMD. Intel stock CPU cooler is quieter too......

Something isn't right.....here are some reviews- AMD A8-3870K Power Consumption, AMD A8-3850 2.9GHz Llano APU Review, Power Consumption.......

(2012-08-27, 17:35)MikeRD03 Wrote: Btw, I tested Intel i3 models with also TDP 100W and they were not consuming less or keept cooler. That reputation seems to be merely a fairytale.

Well speaking of fairytales you just told one as Intel doesn't make a 100w TDP i3.

http://ark.intel.com/products/series/53242

You may want to redo your testing as you are an outlier and what you report is not at all accurate.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1649/16/

Temperature testing has been equally as slanted. Its not a fairy tale and you should correct your statement.

Edit:

One other source...

Having built many AMD Llano and Intel SandyBridge machines as well as tested them using a Kill-A-Watt I have had the same experience as Assassin and the reviews. I can ship an 84W PSU with Intel systems but the Llano need the 120W PSU. I also won't ship a 100W TDP Llano APU in any of the mini-ITX cases I offer -- they run too hot. 65W Llano or 65W SandyBridge or 77W IvyBridge is no issue.

BTW, with a picoPSU in a Silverstone ML03 you need to pay attention to where the power connector is on the motherboard or the harness might not reach where the AC adapter can be plugged in.

This is a nice small PSU for the ML03B: http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...004VF4R4U/. It has an SFX-to-ATX adapter plate so it can be mounted in the ML03. It's quite a bit shallower than a regular ATX PSU so there's no worry with ODD depth. It's not fanless but runs (in my server) nearly silent. It also has a feature where it'll turn off the fan when it's not needed.
I would prefer to use AMD for its performance as I heard its better then i3.....how does everything else in my build look like my ram, mobo, ssd is that best to get?

might go with Seasonic X-400 Fanless Gold 400W for PSU and Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB for hdd...what you guys think?

(2012-08-28, 18:37)Gravediggaz Wrote: I would prefer to use AMD for its performance as I heard its better then i3.....how does everything else in my build look like my ram, mobo, ssd is that best to get?

might go with Seasonic X-400 Fanless Gold 400W for PSU and Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB for hdd...what you guys think?

The quad core A8 is about as good as the dual core i3 2105. If you are looking for the best performance in gaming and PC use then a low wattage i3 and discrete card will be a much better option than the A8 for HTPC purposes.
(2012-08-28, 19:01)assassin Wrote:
(2012-08-28, 18:37)Gravediggaz Wrote: I would prefer to use AMD for its performance as I heard its better then i3.....how does everything else in my build look like my ram, mobo, ssd is that best to get?

The quad core A8 is about as good as the dual core i3 2105. If you are looking for the best performance in gaming and PC use then a low wattage i3 and discrete card will be a much better option than the A8 for HTPC purposes.

hmm that does sound tempting....i3 2105 is not that much more then the 3870k

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
advice on my A8-3870k HTPC build 0