Upgrading old HTPC
I'm looking to upgrade my old HTPC. Here are the current specs

abit fatali1ty f190hd mobo
2 gb ram
q6600 quad core 2.4 ghz proc
windows xp

I'm currently using the onboard HDMI for my sound and video but my xbmc install has gotten really choppy and slow and video playback is kind of choppy. I'm definitely going to upgrade the RAM to 4ghz or more so I'd like to upgrade to windows 7 but it doesn't seem there are any new drivers for the motherboard due to abit going out of business and it just being old in general. I'm not sure if upgrade my video card in addition to the more RAM would help the smoothness of xbmc or not.
Would you guys recommend getting a new video card and if so which one? I need it to be an HDMI out and I assume it will output sound as well as video? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Yes, will output both audio and video.

ATI 6570 or NVidia 430.

I would upgrade RAM for sure and possibly OS personally.
Yes to the GPU as assassin mentioned. Also if you get a copy or download of 7 you can try it for 30 day to see if you can get everything working but Im sure it will work
Please note Windows XP doesn't support the DXVA2 video hardware acceleration that is used by XBMC. You will at least need Vista or Win7 to take full advantage of a new video card.
Awesome! Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to get a PNY GeForce GT 430 VCGGT4301XPB and an additional 4 gb of RAM and I'm going to upgrade to windows 7. Hopefully this will bring me back to the previous snappyness I'm used to.
It should. That's more then enough CPU
(2012-08-27, 16:40)skmastaz Wrote: Awesome! Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to get a PNY GeForce GT 430 VCGGT4301XPB and an additional 4 gb of RAM and I'm going to upgrade to windows 7. Hopefully this will bring me back to the previous snappyness I'm used to.
I'm suggesting this "Evga GeForce GT 430". It is silent in my little case....I returned one GT430 before I bought Evga due to noise.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
What case are you using? ASUS makes a really nice passive GT430.
Thanks for the recommendation, but the htpc sits in the basement underneath the tv so noise isn't an issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading old HTPC1