Win share problems via wifi
I have a 3 computer network connected to a netgear wrn3500l router. Computer 1(htpc) has windows 7/xbmc and all of my movies on it. All the shares are setup for the folders containing the movies. Computer 2(main PC) has windows 7 and is my main PC which has my music and pictures. Computer 3(playroom) has windows 7/xbmc and has no files on it and connects via WiFi to the router. Computer 1 and 2 share just fine between each other. However, computer 3 for some odd reason will require computer 1 to reboot for xbmc to see the shares, then it will work fine for a day or so, then the sources disappear from xbmc. But, I can still see the network locations in windows. Computer 3 is setup to have its IP reserved so I do not think its a lease time issue. But, once I reboot Computer 1, xbmc sees it again. I'm confused on this and its really aggravating me that every time my kids want to watch something I have to reboot Computer 1. Anyone have any ideas to keep the network alive?
anyone?
Some things to try, starting with the easiest:
  • Try an Ethernet connection for PC 3 instead of WiFi
  • Try reserving IP addresses for PC 1 and PC 2
  • Try Samba for file sharing instead of relying on shared folders
  • Buy or build a NAS (wiki) system to house all your media files in a central location instead of relying on the availability of disparate computers in your household

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
share problems via wifi0