Western Digital Green Vs Red for Server
I could never figure out to setup wdidle on windows. Sad
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-10-03, 21:52)jammyb Wrote: I could never figure out to setup wdidle on windows. Sad

Bring the beer and a fresh CD with Günther and I´ll show you Wink
Ooooh Ding Dong!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-10-03, 22:13)jammyb Wrote: Ooooh Ding Dong!

Rofl I had a "few" pints today/tonight so excuse my manners lol.

wdidle3 doesn´t work after a late revision so you maybe out of luck (my latest drive was purchased mid-2011)
idle3-tools on linux is working with new wd20ezrx drives.
I am running current about 9 WD Greens Various models and i would like to run a Linux Server but i am having issue with getting the drives to spin down after a certain period.
In Windows however (which i am currently running) i simply go into the power settings and this works perfectly but trying to use HDParm doesn't work and looking around the max i can seem to get it to set at is maybe 10 minutes after that they do not spindown i would ideally like to have them spindown after 2 or 3 hours

I tried some distro's over the weekend and found that because i could not get the drives to spindown the drives were getting quite hot inside the case i even added an extra fan to circulate the air inside and it did nothing still the drives where constantly hot to the touch so i switched back to windows and set the spindown now idle drives spindown and stay cool and only the working ones generate heat

If the Red's do not need to be spundown does this mean if when i do my planned server rebuild if i buy them i can leave them running 24/7 and they will run cooler and use less power so i can ignore spin down altogether because another reason for spinning down apart from heat for me is power saving i have drive i may access for 10 minutes once a week so to leave them spinning all the time seemed pointless

BTW i too have use WDIdle3 to disable Intellipark altogether i did have it set to 5 minutes but i figured for linux i should disable altogether i did this using the bootable .iso which for those that don't know you can also access by downloading UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) they have included it in their list of tools
So set the spindowntime you have to 2,5 hours use "hdparm -S 245 /dev/sd?".

Replace the "?" with the corresponding drive letter or the command will be used on all drives.

I've set the spindown time to 20 minutes and it's working good
I've had 2 WD greens in my D-Link DNS-323 NAS for 4 years, no probs (yet).

I set the drive in the first bay as target storage and use rsync to do a backup to the 2nd bay drive, and cron to schedule the backup nightly at 10:00pm. Works very well for us.
(2013-10-08, 00:44)protocol77 Wrote: I am running current about 9 WD Greens Various models and i would like to run a Linux Server but i am having issue with getting the drives to spin down after a certain period.
In Windows however (which i am currently running) i simply go into the power settings and this works perfectly but trying to use HDParm doesn't work and looking around the max i can seem to get it to set at is maybe 10 minutes after that they do not spindown i would ideally like to have them spindown after 2 or 3 hours

Try HD-Idle instead. The hdparm stuff never worked for me either (on a mixed bag of wdd and seagate hdd's). It spins down all the internal data drives in my kubuntu 12.04 server.
thanks for the tips but after spending hours i just said F#%# IT! and went back to Windows within 30 seconds i had spindowns set in windows using power settings sooooo much easier

I might play around with it again sometime but i just needed to get my server back up and running
i have several wd elements external drives and the first 2tb drive ive bought in 2011 is now making bad sectors and read/write errors. its been on for 24/7 since then. its an wd green drive inside and from now on im only going with RED'S..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Western Digital Green Vs Red for Server0