motherboard driver downloads and utilities??
When I get my htpc powered up and os(win7 64 bit) installed do I need to download and install all of the drivers and
utilites that are listed for the motherboard on the manufactures website or should I be selective ??
will some of these programs be a nusance for my htpc ?
mo/bo is an ASRock H77 pro4-M with an i3 2120 processor.
General rule of thumb: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

On the other hand, if you are experiencing a problem with a particular device (video, audio, network, etc.), then check to see if there's an updated driver that may resolve that problem. A Google search and/or the manufacturer's support website may provide information on what problems a particular driver update may address.
Win7 does a pretty good job of finding everything for you - provided you have a network connection. If you only install one thing from the list of drivers, it should be the NIC driver first. It may be the only driver you need to install manually.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
this will be a first time power up so I will need to load some of the asrock drivers for sure,
When I go to the asrock website there are several drivers as well as utilities there for download.
I will need the "audio" and "cir" drivers but I don't know about all the others....
Windows 7 does a pretty good job at placing most drivers. However! it is advised to use your MBs manufacture drivers for chipset, audio, USB 3.0, Lan, video and INF drivers. The utilities are optional. This is to insure the latest version of the driver. Also be sure to check the device manager for missing or damaged drivers. CIR is Infrared so yes

Also if you have a dedicated GPU then go to there website or corresponding manufactures website AMD or Nvidia for the correct drivers
Thanks Jester, I have an intel i3 2120 processor and will use the on board graphics so I will need to go to the intel site to see if
there is any updated drivers there...
(2012-08-28, 23:51)rtate Wrote: Thanks Jester, I have an intel i3 2120 processor and will use the on board graphics so I will need to go to the intel site to see if
Not necessary, your Motherboard manufacture's web site should have the latest video drivers.

(2012-08-29, 02:02)Jetster Wrote:
(2012-08-28, 23:51)rtate Wrote: Thanks Jester, I have an intel i3 2120 processor and will use the on board graphics so I will need to go to the intel site to see if
Not necessary, your Motherboard manufacture's web site should have the latest video drivers.

I have not found this to be the case.

I also agree 100% that newer isn't necessarily better.
So how would I know which drivers to use ??

Assassin, In your guide you say to go to the manufacturer's website and install the "latest driver"
and then the motherboards website and download"all of the available drivers and utilities"
The manufacturer will have the latest drivers for the motherboard but not always the latest drivers for the CPU/chipset.

Yes, I install the motherboard drivers from the manufacturer. I usually download and install the CPU drivers from the manufacturer of the particular CPU.
ok , I think I get it now..
Thanks for the help...
Of course you can go to the manufacture's web site of every chip on the board, but I was trying to keep it simple. I just don't think its wise to use the native 7 drivers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
motherboard driver downloads and utilities??0