Play songs and/or movies over network from one XBMC to another
Is this possible? I'd like to be able to use a touchscreen PC to do this sorta thing...kinda like airplay but from another XBMC instance on the network.
yes. xbmc can also act as upnp server.
I think I'm not grasping something here. I get what upnp is of course but how does that work in my scenario? Touchscreen PC with XBMC interface up and HTPC with XBMC interface....I want to select from the touchscreen xbmc install what plays on the HTPC XBMC....
Where do I choose (hopefully an easy toggle) to send my media playing requests to that XMBC install on the HTPC rather than play locally?

I'm sure this is rather simple but I'm missing something I think...
You can use one of the Web Interface add-ons to control your HTPC XBMC system via a web browser from any other PC on your local network. From your touchscreen PC, you can use the web interface to navigate XBMC on the HTPC, locate media on the HTPC and play media on the HTPC.
so you cannot control XBMC from another XBMC?
You can launch a web browser from within XBMC (via a favorite, homepage shortcut, keyboard key, remote button, etc.) and have it go directly to the web interface page to control XBMC on your HTPC. After closing the browser, the XBMC session is restored.
(2012-08-29, 22:17)artrafael Wrote: You can launch a web browser from within XBMC (via a favorite, homepage shortcut, keyboard key, remote button, etc.) and have it go directly to the web interface page to control XBMC on your HTPC. After closing the browser, the XBMC session is restored.

So are you saying I cannot use the regular XBMC interface to stream to another XBMC via UPNP? Or are you just offering another way to do this?
The latter.
(2012-08-29, 11:04)publicENEMY Wrote: yes. xbmc can also act as upnp server.

can you elaborate? Thanks!
Hi
I have been thinking and searching for a method to do what debennett2 is talking about, for more than a year.

I thought that it would be much nicer, efficient and faster if there was a client (much like the Constellation App in ipad) that would just sit on my laptop and i'd use it to search and execute querries from the laptop, and my htpc (running XBMC) would instantly play it. It would be faster and more versatile than just the web interface thats available.

I had a little success when i used foobar, which allowed me to do those fast searches on the laptop and then send the files over upnp. However, its not the best way because the files need to be sitting on my laptop from where they would be streamed over the network.

Because all my songs and movies are on the HTPC, i was wondering (like debennett) if there was a way for a second instance of XBMC on my laptop to be able to control the first instance on my HTPC?

That would be nirvana.

Hope we have a buddha in hereSmile
@vermanium - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=113136 <- Maraschino front-end software controls XBMC via HTTP.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Whoa. That looks fantastic. If i can have that running on my laptop, it'll really make life easier.

The problem is, my laptop runs Windows 7. Would Maraschino work from it? As i understand, its meant to run on Linux!?!

I went to the forum, but everything there is greek to me. Not sure if i can do all that tech configurations myself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play songs and/or movies over network from one XBMC to another0