Windows 8=great!
Is anybody running Windows 8 with an AMD CPU with built in GPU?
Im wondering if I will run into any driver issues.
(2012-11-05, 19:31)dtviewer Wrote: Is anybody running Windows 8 with an AMD CPU with built in GPU?

its working fine with my A6-3500, just don't use the beta driver 12.11, there is some bug in there messing with the fonts in XBMC. 12.10 runs just fine!
I was wondering if there was a way to swap out the windows 8 metro interface for XBMC. On my laptop there is very little use of metro. I would love for XBMC to pop up when i press the windows key while still retaining regular windows+D desktop functionality. Thanks!
(2012-11-05, 19:31)dtviewer Wrote: Is anybody running Windows 8 with an AMD CPU with built in GPU?

I am running Win 8 pro 64 bit with an A8 3850 and have run into no issues with performance, it's very quick. Loaded the latest Catalyst drivers and that was basically all I have done with drivers and the only reason I bothered is my TV seems to needs some adjustments so the image fills the screen. Had the same issue in ubuntu and Win 7, so that is my TV not the OS.
So after reading this thread I'm thinking of trying windows 8 on my htpc, but have a few questions. I currently have a setup using uTorrent with RSS feeds to auto download TV shows, and when the status of the Torrent changes to finished i have a vbs script that runs theRenamer which renames and moves the file to my TV Shows directory structure, then it sends an http call to update the video library on XBMC and finally removes the torrent from uTorrent (since it's finished seeding).

I would like for it to boot directly into XBMC, but am wondering if this background process for downloading tv shows will work without explorer.exe loaded? has any one tried this with a similar setup?
Has anyone else used Classic Shell as a replacement for Windows 8 Start Menu? it seems to be the best free alternative out there
http://darktips.com/start-menu-in-windows-8/
(2012-11-10, 14:34)thewarrior008 Wrote: Has anyone else used Classic Shell as a replacement for Windows 8 Start Menu? it seems to be the best free alternative out there
http://darktips.com/start-menu-in-windows-8/

Having tried it myself, but saw it on lifehacker. They also have another alternative in this article http://lifehacker.com/5955089/how-to-bri...-windows-8
I also went to win8 for almost 2 weeks ago, and I can only agree - It’s great. The metro style is nearly made for HTPC use, and the Netflix app is simply amazing. Compared with the “old School” web based Netflix solution, this app is really good. Almost all judder/stuttering is gone and not to mention the navigations in the app is also well designed.

I don’t look back. I’m happy with win 8.

Regards, Henrik
I am quite curious about this. Made for htpc use in what way?

From what I heard their is no easy way to use a remote and integrate things like netflix metro with xbmc.
Integration netflix in xbmc has nothing to do with win 8, I'm just trying to say that the netflix app is working better as an app in win 8, rather than using a traditional browser and silverlight. The quality is better (reduced stuttering) and the navigation is also very good. I have no expirence controlling the system with a remote control. So in this situation, maybe you are right.

Furthermore you have a very responsive and very fast booting htpc using win 8. In addition, the metro (modern UE) appearance with tiles looks and works better than traditional icons, especially in a 10 foot htpc environment.

regards
Hi there!

I just have received my Acer Revo RL70 a few days ago and set it up with XBMCbuntu.
Its currently working very well, but as I said... I am pretty new to htpcs and I might not have realised all possible options my Revo can offer me.

What I would like to implement in the near future (all things starting directly from XBMC):
- Emulators for SNES, N64, etc...
- Add some games like Ultrastar and some arcade for 2 Players using my PS3 Gamepads
- Add some resources for online Videos like Southparkstudios etc...
- Get everything running with my Harmony one
- Faster access to my Videos mounted via NFS

Well however, I have used Linux a bit yet but I am not an expert. So get all this stuff running can turn out in a few hours of work or result in a complete failure.
So I wonder if this wouldnt be easier with a win8-HTPC... an OS I am more used to.

So I'd like to ask:
Is there a major performance difference between XBMCbuntu and Win8?
My Acer only has 2GB RAM, AMD E-450 1.6Ghz, AMD HD 6320.... Is this sufficient to run Win8+playing 1080p DTS MA rips?
Are NFS Mounts possible?
Win8 is pretty new ... any driver or feature issues?
Is XBMC at startup possible without clicking any icons?
Is it possible to shut the system down without going to the windwos desktop?
Are there allready any good tutorials up?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards!
(2012-11-12, 15:45)heth Wrote: I also went to win8 for almost 2 weeks ago, and I can only agree - It’s great. The metro style is nearly made for HTPC use, and the Netflix app is simply amazing. Compared with the “old School” web based Netflix solution, this app is really good. Almost all judder/stuttering is gone and not to mention the navigations in the app is also well designed.

I don’t look back. I’m happy with win 8.

Regards, Henrik

Windows 8 is awesome... I can never use a regular windows anymore (especially not for an htpc)

**mind you that it did take a bit of getting use to (having used Windows 1.1 to now)
Is anyone able to use imon LCD with windows 8 using xbmc Eden?
This is all very nice - one thing I DO want to do however is remove the login screen completely - it autologs in but I still see it - any way to do this?

Also... can advanced launcher still launch other apps without the explorer shell? I am guessing yes... and can you launch Metro apps this way? Or do they also require explorer to be running?
(2012-12-13, 18:25)nikc0069 Wrote: This is all very nice - one thing I DO want to do however is remove the login screen completely - it autologs in but I still see it - any way to do this?

Yes, I would like to know if we can do this too!

Also, I have XBMC as a tile in the metro UI and when I press on it to open, I see a "flash" of the desktop and then the XBMC starts. Is there a way not to see this "flash"?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8=great!0