Windows 8=great!
I just installed XBMC on my new windows 8 machine and I somehow made XBMC run in a window and I cant figure out how to make it run full screen again. HELP!!
Press \

See Keyboard controls (wiki)
(2013-01-05, 11:07)Ned Scott Wrote: Press \

See Keyboard controls (wiki)

God, I am such an idiot. Thanks!
Thanks for this thread. I thought I had wasted money buying Win8 for a system I was building - ended up using a Vista disk I had lying around instead. Looks like I've found a good use for 8.

Has anyone utilized the server functions in Win8? I was thinking of using it for that but then I read about the parity writes being intollerably slow in the development/preview versions of Win8? Did they get this fixed in the consumer release?
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Windows 8 + Disk SSD + XBMC Launcher + automatic login = Boot time 4 sec ! Unbelievable ! Smile
If you can deal with Windows 8. I tried it on a new desktop PC and after 2 days of hell, I returned it for a refund. Windows 8 Sucks big time.
I want to use Windows 8 only for XBMC .
(2013-01-08, 11:30)Shadow_Defender Wrote: I want to use Windows 8 only for XBMC .

I used it on my laptop as a testbed before deciding to do anything else with it. I too agree that it is best for something like WMC or XMBC. I have my Win8 set up with an SSD and autologin/launch XBMC and it takes longer to get past Post than it does to boot into windows (which I never see) and launch XBMC. Granted all I have on the SSD is windows and XBMC so that may have something to do with fast boot times.

Has anyone figured out how to launch Netflix Win8 app from XBMC and have it return to XBMC after you exit Netflix?
Hi all,

I'm thinking of installing windows 8 on my revo which currently runs on Openelec which works well.

Reason for my changing would be to use netflx. I have a couple of questions...

1) is the Netflix addon any good, I see netflix are doing 1080p and 3D however specifies Windows 8 as compatible however I don't know if that's the windows 8 app or windows 8 in general.

2) running xbmc as the shell and not loading explorer how would one go about using sabnzb? Would it load without the explorer?

Thanks in advance :-)
(2013-01-09, 09:04)simon_rb Wrote: 2) running xbmc as the shell and not loading explorer how would one go about using sabnzb? Would it load without the explorer?

Just install xbmc launcher (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798&page=40) and specify you want sabnzd to launch with xbmc, done.

BTW, windows 8 + xbmc + ssd is lightning fast (even on bootcamp) and the best htpc i know for now (and i'm a mac addict...).
Loving Windows 8 for HTCP and XBMC use so far!
Have they fixed the Hulu and Netflix Metro Apps to work with keyboard commands or a remote? Or are they still basically touch and mouse?
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
(2012-08-29, 00:51)patseguin Wrote: Here you all go:

http://cybernetnews.com/xbmc-run-boot-xb...windows-8/

Hi All,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster... Cause I have a problem.

I followed the steps outlined in this link and it boots as promised. However, I can't return to the windows 8 desktop. Once I quit XBMC, CRTL-ALT-DEL does not allow me to open the task manager. In fact, it does nothing at all. I'd really like to be able to switch back and forth between XBMC and the Start interface.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?
(2013-01-17, 05:36)tjcinnamon Wrote: Have they fixed the Hulu and Netflix Metro Apps to work with keyboard commands or a remote? Or are they still basically touch and mouse?

Both of these metro apps are still garbage (especially Hulu). Unless of course you have a tablet then they are probably okay.

Luckily the XBMC Hulu App is okay. The netflix xbmc app could use some work but I appreciate the efforts.
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
(2013-01-17, 05:36)tjcinnamon Wrote: Have they fixed the Hulu and Netflix Metro Apps to work with keyboard commands or a remote? Or are they still basically touch and mouse?

I have been using an IR remote to control Netflix Metro on Win8 for months. I use a Philips Prestigo SRT8215 remote with some commands learned from an old worn-out Harmony. The Harmony has commands for the "MCE Keyboard" and "Media Center SE" devices in the Harmony database (more info here), which includes key combos like Win+Tab, which is needed for some cursor movements in Metro apps such as Netflix and Hulu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8=great!0