case fan flow direction??
When installing an extra case fan should the air flow into the case or
out of the case??
An ideal build would have both intake and exhaust fans...
I have the silverstone ML03 case and I think that the case fans can only go on the side with the mother board.
If I had 2 fans with one in and one out I think the air would just short circut and not cool the components in the case...
At this point I only have 1 case fan and I am thinking about positioning it towards the front of the case but I'm not sure if the air
should blow in or out....
(2012-08-29, 01:54)rtate Wrote: If I had 2 fans with one in and one out I think the air would just short circut and not cool the components in the case...
If two fans are positioned the opposite side of each other, you can have one intake and one exhaust. Another word, the fan on the left side of the case can be an intake and the fan on the right side of the case can be an exhaust....

(2012-08-29, 01:54)rtate Wrote: At this point I only have 1 case fan and I am thinking about positioning it towards the front of the case but I'm not sure if the air
should blow in or out....
For a single fan, it is best to use it as an intake fan to draw in cool air.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
After some reading, it appears that a case fan on the ML03 is best used as an exhaust fan
with the air flowing out. The reasoning is to keep dust from entering the case as the vents for the cpu and power supply have filters on them.
This seems to make sense in therory, am I missing something??
Does keeping dust out trump drawing cool air in ??
(2012-08-29, 13:06)rtate Wrote: After some reading, it appears that a case fan on the ML03 is best used as an exhaust fan
with the air flowing out. The reasoning is to keep dust from entering the case as the vents for the cpu and power supply have filters on them.
This seems to make sense in therory, am I missing something??
Does keeping dust out trump drawing cool air in ??

But by setting the case fan as an exhaust, it must pull air into the case.
Plus, the CPU fan is also drawing air into the case.

What type of CPU are you using. Are you using an after-market cpu-cooler.

IMHO,...the case fans are not needed in the SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black),..with an A6 or equivalent,...especially if you use the Scythe BIG SHURIKEN 2 Rev B. 5-Heatpipe Universal Low Profile CPU Cooler (SCBSK-2100).

Gort, I will be using an intel i3 2120 with the stock cpu fan/cooler also using the intel built in
graphics in the ML03B case. I have an ssd for the o/s and WD green for storage.
The case will reside in an entertainment unit with 2-3 inches clearance on the top and sides when done.
Do you think I can go without the extra fan??
You can certainly try it,..and check temps,..then if not happy with temps,...I'd suggest going with the Scythe BIG SHURIKEN 2 Rev B. 5-Heatpipe Universal Low Profile CPU Cooler (SCBSK-2100)
I try to have more fans blowing in than out. Positive pressure tends to keep dust out of the system (or at least settling on the parts).
(2012-08-29, 19:06)Kirky99 Wrote: I try to have more fans blowing in than out. Positive pressure tends to keep dust out of the system (or at least settling on the parts).

This. Try and keep positive pressure in the case. eg. have two intake fans and one exhaust fan.

"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Sorry for my noob question, But for the fan to spin the other way around on a 4pin mobo chassis fan with a 3 pin fan is only putting it on the other way or ?

I need to power 2 fans with just 1 output from the motherboard so i orderd a http://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/?ID=306327. if i just connect one the good way and the other one the 'wrong' way should it turn the other way ?
(2012-08-29, 21:11)witalik Wrote: Sorry for my noob question, But for the fan to spin the other way around on a 4pin mobo chassis fan with a 3 pin fan is only putting it on the other way or ?

I need to power 2 fans with just 1 output from the motherboard so i orderd a http://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/?ID=306327. if i just connect one the good way and the other one the 'wrong' way should it turn the other way ?

Ummm.........just turn the fan around 180°

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
LOL ! i dont know where my head was haha. Maybe something to do with the fans already fitted in the case from the factory...

Noob award for me here

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
case fan flow direction??0