First build suggestions and help
Hi. I'm looking to build my first htpc. I am very familiar with xbmc and have been using it for a while on all my computer and my apple tv 2nd generation. I've become frustrated with the apple tv's lack of features and am looking to build a windows based htpc. I have built a computer before, but I just need help picking out the parts. I want my htpc to play 1080p 3d movies, Dobie TrueHD and dts-hd master audio, classic game emulators, a few modern games (but I don't have to max out the settings), and stream from my favorite internet sites (hulu, netflix, amazon, etc.). RIght now I'm basing most of my build on. this article

The CPU: AMD A4-3400 2.7Ghz $60
The Motherboard: ASRock A75M-ITX $90
The RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333 Memory $22
The Case: APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX $49
The CPU Cooler: Scythe Kozuti Low Profile CPU Cooler $40
The Blu-Ray Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...de3bfdf6d3 $47
SSD: Need a suggestion please Smile
I already have a 2TB Hitachi hhd and a 1TB external Seagate hdd. so I'm good on storage for now. I also already have a logitech harmony 650 that I want to use. So I'm open to suggestions for a ir receiver.
I'm also in a college dorm room, and I don't have access to any wired ethernet connections. So I also need a suggestion for a wifi card or usb dongle. The college uses wpa2 enterprise security on their wifi which many of my devices including my apple tv can't connect to Sad. I would also love to run cable TV though the htpc too, but I'm not very knowledgable at that type of thing. I've grown up my whole life without cable or dish Big Grin (just netflix the past few years). In my dorm there is only a coaxial cable that come out the wall. I guessing I need a tv tuner card. If I do that, I'll have to use a usb wifi adapter because the motherboard only has one pci slot.

I'm not completely set on any of my hardware; so feel free to give any suggestions. I really appreciate anyone who can help a noob out. Thanks in advance.
I'd suggest that jump up to the AMD A6-3500 APU with AMD Radeon 6530 HD Graphics 2.1/2.4GHz Socket FM1 65W Triple-Core Processor - Retail AD3500OJGXBOX
I agree with the above post about going up to the A6-3500,as for an ssd i used the samsung 830 64gb and have no complaints so far.
Htpc A6-3500,Gygabyte GA-A75M-D2H,Samsung 830 64gb ssd,GSkills ripjaws 2x4gb,Apevia xmaster case with 500w psu,
Asus black internal bluray drive,logitech k400 wireless keyboard.
+1 on the A6-3500 and Samsung 830. Crucial m4 is also good. Between the Samsung 830 and Crucial m4, just get whichever is better priced. Be sure to compare prices of the 64GB vs. 128GB because sometimes the difference is only $20.
thanks for the replies! OK, could use a little more cpu speed. I like the look of the A6-3500, but i might spring for the AMD A8-3850. Newegg has it on sell. It's only $10 more.
(2012-08-29, 22:39)johnestan Wrote: thanks for the replies! OK, could use a little more cpu speed. I like the look of the A6-3500, but i might spring for the AMD A8-3850. Newegg has it on sell. It's only $10 more.

No, don't.
The problem with the A8-3850 is that it is a 100W TDP, whereas the A6-3500 is only 65W. That means more heat/noise, not the best thing in a mITX case.
(2012-08-29, 22:53)Arkitket Wrote: The problem with the A8-3850 is that it is a 100W TDP, whereas the A6-3500 is only 65W. That means more heat/noise, not the best thing in a mITX case.
Ok thanks. I'll go with the A6-3500.
(2012-08-29, 22:39)johnestan Wrote: but i might spring for the AMD A8-3850. Newegg has it on sell. It's only $10 more.
It is not going to survice in the MI-008 case.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First build suggestions and help0