What software to use for backing up dvd's?
ok...so my girlfriend wants my 700 dvd collection out of our livingroom. And I must agree it doesn't look very cool and I don't really want the hardcopies anymore. So my plan was to backup all of them on my NAS before I give them away.

But I haven't copied a dvd in years and are looking for the best method/software, and what format do I want...mkv, avi, isoHuh please help me out..
My answer to that is MakeMKV.

If you wan't to do it from XBMC with MakeMKV: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=105168
Or you can use the scripts from that thread as a base for running your customized scripts on a computer which I recommend for that amount of movies.
or, you could *cough* download *cough* copies of the movies you own, which i feel falls in the grey area of copy write, cause you already bought them. this will save you cpu time to rip movies you cannot find to download. bandwidth is usually cheaper than cpu power for movie ripping.
Ripping doesn't consume much CPU power, it's like copying a file. Encoding on the other hand demand CPU power and you get lower quality.

And if you bought something, why on earth would you wan't to have it in a lower quality version?

Lower quality is probably what you get if you download it also, after spending a lot of time to find 700 DVD and download them.
i ripped and encoded about 200 dvd originals of my own into x264 single pass for compression.

most films ended up somewhere between 2.0gb and 3.0gb, instead of the dvdrom native compression of mpeg2 at between 4gb and 8.5gb.

on my 42" led, looks just as good to me, but as already explained, the encoding takes little longer then just ripping in mpeg2.

Dam0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What software to use for backing up dvd's?0