Ultra-Slim Low-Profile HTPC
Yeah that's the kind of thing I'm after... I reckon the same thing, wide enough to fit an ATX motherboard would be good for a living-room gaming PC. Would probably require even more width/depth to fit a discrete graphics card connected with PCIe riser cables... Can anyone think of any reasons why not?
(2012-09-03, 23:11)Dnk8n Wrote: Would probably require even more width/depth to fit a discrete graphics card connected with PCIe riser cables... Can anyone think of any reasons why not?
If you are thinking of installing a discrete GPU in it, it might not be a good option then....2 points- too small to fit a discrete GPU and not enough air flow to keep it cool....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-09-03, 23:21)bluray Wrote:
(2012-09-03, 23:11)Dnk8n Wrote: Would probably require even more width/depth to fit a discrete graphics card connected with PCIe riser cables... Can anyone think of any reasons why not?
If you are thinking of installing a discrete GPU in it, it might not be a good option then....2 points- too small to fit a discrete GPU and not enough air flow to keep it cool....

That's why I was thinking of using PCIe riser caples so that the discrete graphics card could lie horizontally (within the low-profile case). Also this would mean airflow is not as restricted around the centre of the motherboard.

Cooling is the issue here, but maybe since it would be a serious gaming PC, water cooling could be installed...
(2012-09-04, 01:10)Dnk8n Wrote: That's why I was thinking of using PCIe riser caples so that the discrete graphics card could lie horizontally (within the low-profile case). Also this would mean airflow is not as restricted around the centre of the motherboard.
Even with the riser, I still doubt that you have room for a discrete GPU......this type of case is aim for low power CPU with iGPU.....

(2012-09-04, 01:10)Dnk8n Wrote: Cooling is the issue here, but maybe since it would be a serious gaming PC, water cooling could be installed...
I doubt that you have room for a water cooler either. Even you have room for it, the discrete GPU might still have heating issue.....

(2012-09-04, 04:15)bluray Wrote:
(2012-09-04, 01:10)Dnk8n Wrote: That's why I was thinking of using PCIe riser caples so that the discrete graphics card could lie horizontally (within the low-profile case). Also this would mean airflow is not as restricted around the centre of the motherboard.
Even with the riser, I still doubt that you have room for a discrete GPU......this type of case is aim for low power CPU with iGPU.....

(2012-09-04, 01:10)Dnk8n Wrote: Cooling is the issue here, but maybe since it would be a serious gaming PC, water cooling could be installed...
I doubt that you have room for a water cooler either. Even you have room for it, the discrete GPU might still have heating issue.....

I was referring to my full atx motherboard, custom low profile case idea, therefore space for watercooling... the discrete graphics card could be compartmentalized, with adequate ventilation.
(2012-09-04, 04:49)Dnk8n Wrote:
(2012-09-04, 04:15)bluray Wrote:

I was referring to my full atx motherboard, custom low profile case idea, therefore space for watercooling... the discrete graphics card could be compartmentalized, with adequate ventilation.
Hmmmm...is there an ATX case with 50mm in height?
Of course not... that's why I want to custom design a suitable case for it. 50mm might be a bit too low-profile. I'm thinking 75mm to 100mm thin htpc which can run pcsx2 (ps2 emulator) games smoothly...
Why do you want an ATX motherboard? What's wrong with a microATX motherboard and a low profile discrete GPU in something like a Silverstone ML03 case. I don't think you are going to achieve what you want from the build and get it all into an "ultra slim low profile"case.

If you want a decent gaming card you are going to have to go with active cooling especially with a low profile gpu.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ultra-Slim Low-Profile HTPC0