no 5.1 surround in my system
Sad 
Hello,

I have a media center which I installed XBMC linux. However, I'm not able to have 5.1 surround, just left and right.

My system details are:

MB Asrock A75M-ITX (with HDMI out - socket FM1 - uses graphic cards within the processor)
Processor AMD A4-3400 2.7GHz dual core 64 Bits (with ATI RADEON HD6410D inside)
4 GB RAM, from which 512Mb are dedicated to the Video card HD6410D.

The A75M-ITX Motherboard comes with Realtek ALC892 which is 7.1 channel capable via the digital out (SPDIF). This digital output is connected to a panasonic SA-BTT270, wich I put in the "DIGITAL IN" mode and I have carefully configured the audio output in XBMC for HD audio IEC968 and 5.1

I'm trying to play a 5.1 test file downloaded from http://www.lynnepublishing.com/surround/...d_test.ac3 , and there is no difference between "rear-left" and "front-left" (both speakers produce sound at the same time).

What am I doing wrong? Could it be the case that this sound card is not entirely supported by XBMC?

Thanks,
Jabss
When you play this file does the receiver itself indicate the mode it's receiving from the source? i.e DTS / dolby etc...

have you set the options for audio settings to enable an external decoder?
Main = Intel 37770k - Win 8.1 x64 | Office PC = Intel Q6600 - Win 7 x64 | HTPC = Intel NUC - Ubuntu 14.10 | Tablet = Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.5 All running Gotham 13.2
Server = Dell Powededge 2850 - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - MySQL, SABNZBD+, Couchpotato, SickRage, Headphones, Apache | NAS = HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 SAN - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 21TB RAID5 + Hot spare

If it's SPDIF it's not capable of 5.1 in PCM, let alone 7.1.

SPDIF can only play 2.0 PCM or 5.1 encoded in AC3/DTS. You need HDMI for >2.0. XBMC can transcode 5.1 PCM like a FLAC file to AC3 if you enable AC3-capable and disable Multichannel LPCM, at least with the nightlies and AudioEngine.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-08-30, 16:39)Ardalista Wrote: When you play this file does the receiver itself indicate the mode it's receiving from the source? i.e DTS / dolby etc...

have you set the options for audio settings to enable an external decoder?

Hi,

Thanks for you answer. I set the receiver (Panasonic SA-BTT270) to get sound through its SPDIF input and the surround mode is set to standard:

From the operating instructions (http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SCBTT770.PDF):

Quote:Press [SURROUND] several times to select the effect.
STANDARD
Sound is output as it was recorded/encoded.
Speaker output varies depending on the source.

In the audio settings of XBMC I choose 5.1 and "HD audio IEC968 - device 0" (I also have devices 1 and 3, but only this one produces sound in the receiver - in the others I get a "failed to initialize device" message). I can also choose HD audio HDMI (devices 0, 1 and 3 available) but that's not what I want to accomplish here.

Is there any other option to specify an external decoder?

According to the seller, the Panasonic SA-BTT270 is DTS capable.

Thank you,
Jabss
(2012-08-30, 17:02)DDDamian Wrote: If it's SPDIF it's not capable of 5.1 in PCM, let alone 7.1.

SPDIF can only play 2.0 PCM or 5.1 encoded in AC3/DTS. You need HDMI for >2.0. XBMC can transcode 5.1 PCM like a FLAC file to AC3 if you enable AC3-capable and disable Multichannel LPCM, at least with the nightlies and AudioEngine.

Hello,

Thanks for replying.

I'm not sure if I understood correctly everything you wrote Smile

What I think I have understood:
SPDIF is not capable of doing 5.1 in PCM format, but can play 2.0 in PCM format. - OK
SPDIF supports 5.1 in AC3/DTS format. (I think that's OK, because the file I'm playing is AC3) - OK

I need HDMI higher than 2.0 so that XBMC transcodes 5.1 PCM to AC3 (I wouldn't know how to do it, but even so, I guess I wouldn't need it because my test file is already AC3) Huh

The last part with "... Multichannel LPCM, at least with the nightlies and AudioEngine" gets me lost.... sorry... Could you please elaborate (maybe in a for-dummies format)?

Thanks,
Jabss
take a look at this screen shot... in particular the options

- Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable receiver
- DTS Capable receiver

Are these enabled on your system?
Main = Intel 37770k - Win 8.1 x64 | Office PC = Intel Q6600 - Win 7 x64 | HTPC = Intel NUC - Ubuntu 14.10 | Tablet = Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.5 All running Gotham 13.2
Server = Dell Powededge 2850 - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - MySQL, SABNZBD+, Couchpotato, SickRage, Headphones, Apache | NAS = HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 SAN - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 21TB RAID5 + Hot spare

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no 5.1 surround in my system0