5.1 audio from HD audio/motherboard?
so..i have a dumb question that i should have asked a while back but it has never really been a problem or come up until i built my first htpc

i have a motherboard (asrock a55m-hvs)...which has hdmi out and on its' website, says it has 5.1 hd audio

my question is..do they mean the 5.1 audio comes from hdmi?
if so, then what does the "hd audio" header mean on the motherboard? i've connected the hd audio cable from my case to it..is there another way to exract 5.1 sound that i am not aware of...?

i am on xbmcbuntu, but i believe this is a general question..as my audio is not working and i'd really like to get...nay, need 5.1 sound to be coming out of my htpc
I just had a quick look at the specs for your motherboard and there was no mention of an spdif interface on it so I gues if you want digital 5:1 out it would have to be through the HDMI.
(2012-08-30, 15:21)truthlesshero Wrote: my question is..do they mean the 5.1 audio comes from hdmi?
if so, then what does the "hd audio" header mean on the motherboard? i've connected the hd audio cable from my case to it..is there another way to exract 5.1 sound that i am not aware of...?

HDMI 1.4a is capable of carrying an audio signal.. however as I don't use AMD cpu's im not sure how or if it works for your system.

the HD audio header on your motherboard is to enable the front panel audio on your chassis. the manual for your board lists some information if you are using an AC97 front panel.

can you post a screen shot of your current audio settings within XBMC

Main = Intel 37770k - Win 8.1 x64 | Office PC = Intel Q6600 - Win 7 x64 | HTPC = Intel NUC - Ubuntu 14.10 | Tablet = Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.5 All running Gotham 13.2
Server = Dell Powededge 2850 - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - MySQL, SABNZBD+, Couchpotato, SickRage, Headphones, Apache | NAS = HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 SAN - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 21TB RAID5 + Hot spare

(2012-08-30, 16:08)stammie Wrote: I just had a quick look at the specs for your motherboard and there was no mention of an spdif interface on it so I gues if you want digital 5:1 out it would have to be through the HDMI.

yeah, there is no spdif for my motherboard...so i'm going to have to send this one back and get the seemingly popular a75m board with spdif output...sigh to taking this thing apart again..

(2012-08-30, 16:46)Ardalista Wrote: HDMI 1.4a is capable of carrying an audio signal.. however as I don't use AMD cpu's im not sure how or if it works for your system.

the HD audio header on your motherboard is to enable the front panel audio on your chassis. the manual for your board lists some information if you are using an AC97 front panel.

i unfortunately can't post a screenshot right at this moment (at work)
but I can tell you what i remember i had...

basically everything HDMI =-P

HDMI for output
5.1 selected...i tried 2.0 as well

the two lower settings (passthrough and...something?):
hd-default (or is it HDMI-default) on both

regardless of not getting surround sound, should i not be able to at least get 2.0 sound from my tv with the hdmi?
i also tried turning off ALL settings regarding DTS, dolby, etc...and turning them all on...both had the same nil result

like i said, i will cave in and get the a75m with spdif ouput...then i'll have a new set of problems =-P

thanks for help...i appreciate it!
(2012-08-30, 17:04)truthlesshero Wrote:
(2012-08-30, 16:08)stammie Wrote: I just had a quick look at the specs for your motherboard and there was no mention of an spdif interface on it so I gues if you want digital 5:1 out it would have to be through the HDMI.

yeah, there is no spdif for my motherboard...so i'm going to have to send this one back and get the seemingly popular a75m board with spdif output...sigh to taking this thing apart again..

(2012-08-30, 16:46)Ardalista Wrote: HDMI 1.4a is capable of carrying an audio signal.. however as I don't use AMD cpu's im not sure how or if it works for your system.

i unfortunately can't post a screenshot right at this moment (at work)
but I can tell you what i remember i had...

basically everything HDMI =-P

HDMI for output
5.1 selected...i tried 2.0 as well

the two lower settings (passthrough and...something?):
hd-default (or is it HDMI-default) on both

regardless of not getting surround sound, should i not be able to at least get 2.0 sound from my tv with the hdmi?
i also tried turning off ALL settings regarding DTS, dolby, etc...and turning them all on...both had the same nil result

like i said, i will cave in and get the a75m with spdif ouput...then i'll have a new set of problems =-P

thanks for help...i appreciate it!

If you want 2.0 sound from your tv try selecting analogue in the audio output settings on your XBMC, although its a completely different system my bedroom HTPC is set up this way and sound works perfectly through the tv.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 audio from HD audio/motherboard?0