Linux Possible to OPEN the XBMC program from Android Remote?
I just got the phone running and controlling XBMC and it's GREAT!

Question now that it works. Can I open the program from my Android Remote App?

The remote doesn't work unless I already have the program opened. I'd like to be able to open the program from the phone so I don't have to mess with the mouse on my HTPC.
use any app that simulates a mouse to launch xbmc, i'm not sure they exist for linux though...
Remote launcher on my android phone will start xbmc. You need to make a config file, the instructions are included. Free.
Tried Remote Launcher and all I got was just a little icon in the tray and a pop up that said it was connected. This was in Ubuntu 12.04.

Didn't seem to have any options to configure. I had something in windows called Unified Remote that worked great.

But really if I can find something that will open XBMC I'd be happy.
Not sure about Ubuntu, but clicking on the icon in the says tray should bring up an option to edit config file. Then you just need to enter the path to your xbmc exe. Then clicking the remote on your phone should give you the "start xbmc" option. At least that's how it worked for me
I'm using remote launcher server as well. Great app.
Have you figured out how to autostart the server in textmode only, at boot?
I can autostart it in regular mode, but it sucks to always click the GUI away.
I'm using Ubuntu 12.04
(2012-08-31, 17:30)cirkathat r Wrote: I'm using remote launcher as well. Great app.
Have you figured out how to autostart the server in textmode only, at boot?
I can autostart it in regular mode, but it sucks to always click the GUI away.
I'm using Ubuntu 12.04

Hi!

The server is supposed to remember its state so that if it was minimized to the tray when you shut down, it should start minimized the next time you start it as well. Is It not doing that?

Otherwise, to start it in text mode only, use the -d switch when you start it.
Hey there, first of all great prog. Big Grin

I have to try, if it's remembering when I close it to tray!

When I tried it with the built-in auto start manager from Ubuntu, I couldn't add the -d parameter. Is there another way?
(2012-09-20, 08:28)cirkator Wrote: Hey there, first of all great prog. Big Grin

I have to try, if it's remembering when I close it to tray!

When I tried it with the built-in auto start manager from Ubuntu, I couldn't add the -d parameter. Is there another way?

I'm not familiar with the auto start manager. The quickest would probably be to write a wrapper script.

Create a new file called remote-launcher-background or something and add the following to it:

#!/bin/sh
remote-launcher-server -d

Then, from a shell run "chmod +x remote-launcher-background" to make it executable.

Then add that script in the start up manager instead!

I haven't actually tried this myself but I see no reason why it wouldn't work (famous last words...). Smile
Thanks for the tips and lesson on basic scripting Wink

I tried it with the selfmade startup-script, and it did start in textmode (when adding -d).
The only problem is that i use port 55555 for the launcher, but when using the script it changed it to the default port 4444.
Don't know why, maybe you do?!

I "fixed" it by using "devilspie". It's a prog where you can define certain rules for programs, and since i have other progs also autostarting i found it quite useful. I defined that they should automove and minimize to the 2nd workspace. Perfect!

Thanks anyway and thanks again for this awesome piece of code!!!
(2012-09-24, 19:57)cirkator Wrote: Thanks for the tips and lesson on basic scripting Wink

I tried it with the selfmade startup-script, and it did start in textmode (when adding -d).
The only problem is that i use port 55555 for the launcher, but when using the script it changed it to the default port 4444.

I "fixed" it by using "devilspie". It's a prog where you can define certain rules for programs, and since i have other progs also autostarting i found it quite useful. I defined that they should automove and minimize to the 2nd workspace. Perfect!

Oh, maybe there's a bug there then... I'll have to look at that, thanks for reporting!
(2012-09-27, 08:59)owtroid Wrote:
(2012-09-24, 19:57)cirkator Wrote: Thanks for the tips and lesson on basic scripting Wink

Oh, maybe there's a bug there then... I'll have to look at that, thanks for reporting!

Yeah there was a bug Smile

I'll fix it in the next release!
Nice! My first bug-report Big Grin
(2012-09-29, 08:33)cirkator Wrote: Nice! My first bug-report Big Grin

Yup, thanks a lot for finding it! Keep 'em coming! Wink
(2012-09-29, 08:33)cirkator Wrote: Nice! My first bug-report Big Grin

You can download a test build to see if it solves the issue here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/remotela...z/download

I think I've kind of hi-jacked the original posters thread here so we should probably continue this discussion elsewhere Smile

If you have the time to test it out, please e-mail me on contact@owtroid.com and we can continue from there!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to OPEN the XBMC program from Android Remote?0