Database tablename support
Allows the use of a single database with multiple profiles and types.

I want to use a shared library, however I don't believe XBMC should require global permissions to the database server. In my case MySQL is shared with others. It is standard practice with other database using software to create a database and assign full permissions to the user for just that database.

Code:
<videomanager>
    <type>mysql</type>
    <host>1.1.1.1</host>
    <user>xbmc</user>
    <pass>xbmc</pass>
    <name>xbmc</name>
    <tableprefix>profile1_</tableprefix>
</videomanager>

Tables get created with a unique name 'profile1_tablename'
Yep this would be awesome. Also, is there any way I can not store the mysql password in cleartext?
XBMC doesn't require global permissions. It only needs the ability to create, write, and read from databases named MyVideos60 and MyMusic20 (I think it's 20..) for Eden. You can even remove the permissions to create once it has done the initial creation. You would have to tweak this if you want to use nightlies or the eventual XBMC v12 release, but it's not that hard if you really do need the added security.

The instructions on the XBMC wiki only mentions granting global permissions because that's typically the easiest thing for most users to do, and most such users are only using MySQL for XBMC anyways. Anyone who's already using MySQL for other things will likely know how to grant more limited access for the "xbmc" MySQL user.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Database tablename support0