unraid build advice
All,
I have decided to build a NAS before I build a dedicated HTPC for our main TV. I don’t know much about unRAID, so I am looking for some build advice. (Posted this on the unRAID site too, but no response at the moment.)

Current plan is to start with 3 – 3T drives, a 750Gig Cache drive (old 2.5” laptop drive) and parity drive 3T, with the ability to expand out to approx. 8 – 10 data drives. (Do I actually need all that space atm, not in the least, but doesn’t hurt to plan ahead LOL.)

I typically build a computer from the ground up every 3 – 4 years and upgrade or modify my existing computers during that time. (Typically video cards, ram and power supplies.) I have built several computers for family, both budget builds and high end gaming rigs (those are usually mine, go figure…). This would be my first attempt a building a server or even having one in the house.

I am trying to stay on a budget of around $500 (more or less) for the server, any money I save can be used to purchase drives or go toward the HTPC that I am also building. I am willing to go over this amount, especially if I cannot use any of the old components listed below, but not more than $750 or I will be within the wife’s agro range and bad things will happen……..One last item, I have a limited amount of space for the server, so would like to keep it to a mid-tower case. The “computer room” is a remodeled wet bar which is literally 5’ X 6’ room, that has my desk, chair, printer, with my main computer under the desk and general leftover computer parts, so there isnt alot of extra room.

I have an old computer sitting around and so my first question is should I use this system or just spend a few bucks on more recent hardware. I know I will probably need to buy additional ram and at least one SATA controller card. (There are only 4 SATA connects on the board.) This board is compatible with unRAID, but I don’t mind spending a few bucks if its going to prevent future headaches down the road.

Old Computer components (Noticed I forgot to add the CPU)

Pentium 4-2.6C GHz

ASUS P4C800 Deluxe (875P Chipset)

2 X 512-MB Corsair TwinX XMS DDR400/PC3200LL

THERMALTAKE W0019+PFC 480W

Thermaltake Highest Xaser II A5000C Chassis (Pictures on Thermaltake site are not the best, I couldn’t find any better internal pictures on the web, but I will continue to look if they are required, see below.)

Next question is in regards to the case. This Thermaltake case is a beast. There is a 4 drive converter at the Thermaltake site for $129, which would make the case hold 10 drives. (Maybe 11 if you squeeze one under the converter.) (For the money i will probably go with one of the two cases below anyway, but maybe someone can see some potential that I am missing.)

I have been looking at this case NZXT Tempest 410, which has 8 - 3.5” bays (tool less) already and an 3 – 5.25” bay which (hopefully) you can fit a Norco SS-500. (This would be a future purchase when needed.) Total drives would be 13, with a cost of around $160. Does anyone have experience with this case manufacture?

Also, there is the Fractal Design Define R4, which I have seen mentioned on this site several times. With the addition of a Norco SS-300, total number of drives would be 11, cost would be around $175

If the “old computer” components don’t meet the bar, then I am looking at purchasing the follow MB and CPU.
AMD Athlon II X2 250u Regor 1.6GHz Socket AM3 25W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
ASRock 880GM-LE FX AM3+ AMD 880G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Any advice would be appreciated and thank you for your time.
Don't buy an Athlon.
I am hoping that my existing MB and CPU will get the job done. There are some problems with unRAID and an 8111E LAN chipset, so finding another board is kind of a hassle. Main reason I chose AMD was price, the LAN chipset and number of onboard SATA. I am not a fan of AMD, but for a server I didn’t think it would matter much.

Thank you for the advice.

Del
(2012-08-31, 03:29)Mr Del D Wrote: If the “old computer” components don’t meet the bar, then I am looking at purchasing the follow MB and CPU.
AMD Athlon II X2 250u Regor 1.6GHz Socket AM3 25W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
ASRock 880GM-LE FX AM3+ AMD 880G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Any advice would be appreciated and thank you for your time.

I have almost this exact setup running 4.7 for over a year. Same MB with a Sempron and an AOC-SASLP-MV8 and a mix of 11 drives that includes a cache SSD. I can get ~100 MB/s write and ~50-60 MB/s read.

I don't run anything extra beyond unMenu and have been very happy.

One word of caution - do not run the SIL-based 2 port cards on this set up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unraid build advice0