Linux First HTPC build - ID41 vs. ID81 vs. ID80
Hi everyone,

I've been an avid reader of these forums for a while, and already have successfully built an Ubuntu-based XBMC HTPC from an old desktop computer I had.

Now in the interest of space and noise (and also because I have other plans for the old computer Blush) I'd like to switch to a small nettop computer.

Now I've read as much as I could over here and on other forums and I've gotten to a point where I'll need some very specific advice, that's where you guys come into play Big Grin

It would seem I'm a group #5 according to this thread.

Basically what I'll watch are up to 1080p movies/episodes, listen to MP3 and watch pictures, pretty basic stuff.
Now I haven't switched to BluRay yet, and I'm not sure how I could add that functionality to a nettop, but that's another story.

After researching a bit, it would seem the best online store in my area (Belgium) would be www.LDLC.be so that's what I'll use as a reference, feel free to suggest other stores provided they don't require 100€ for overseas shipping of course Big Grin

I'll very likely install Ubuntu with XBMC on it, as OpenELEC does not provide me with a web browsing option which I often use.
The files themselves will be spread across the network and the network will be accessed via WiFi (possibly wired later, will depend if I move houses or not)

I made a mock basket which can be found here: http://www.ldlc.be/b-f35ba7e432347706.html

Now when I read articles or threads I always see the ND22 or the ID81 or 82 from ZOTAC, but it seems the ID41 is not often mentioned, does it have a major flaw? Is it too weak?
From what I can see, the HD-ID41 and the ID-81 are only differing at the processor-level, what's the difference?
What about the ID-82?

Regarding my choice of SSD, are the V4 series that bad? The reason I chose that (other than price) is because the ZBOX is limited to SATA II anyway, is my calculation wrong? Or will the SSD be bottlenecking something?

For the RAM, I went with 4Gb which should be overkill for Ubuntu and even more if I switch to OpenELEC later, but I seem to recall an article saying that extra RAM could be put to good use by XBMC, does that ring a bell?

Thanks in advance Smile
CPU is not mission critical but GPU is. Go for ID80.
(2012-08-31, 18:48)FernetMenta Wrote: CPU is not mission critical but GPU is. Go for ID80.
Ouch, thing is the ID80 is about 70€ more expensive Tongue

So I'll change my question in two parts:
- Between the ID41 (with an Intel ATOM Dual-Core D525) and the IB81 (with an Intel Celeron 857 CPU) which is the best CPU?
- Is any of the two suggested above going to be ok or are they way too weak when compared to the ID80 (with an Intel ATOM Dual-Core D2700 CPU)?

Of course feel free to comment on the other questions Big Grin
Openelec has an opera plug in for web browsing
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
ID81 has Intel graphics. Currently de-interlacing with VAAPI is not really good. Means if you intent to play any interlaced content on your box, don't decide for Intel graphics atm.
ID41 is better than ID81. ION2 plays most content. My ID11 (very similar to ID41) plays 1080p@60 smoothly, 1080i@60 only with bob de-interlacing.
(2012-08-31, 19:51)charlie0440 Wrote: Openelec has an opera plug in for web browsing
Wow, that could be a gamechanger, I'm gonna check it out!

(2012-08-31, 20:30)FernetMenta Wrote: ID81 has Intel graphics. Currently de-interlacing with VAAPI is not really good. Means if you intent to play any interlaced content on your box, don't decide for Intel graphics atm.
ID41 is better than ID81. ION2 plays most content. My ID11 (very similar to ID41) plays 1080p@60 smoothly, 1080i@60 only with bob de-interlacing.
Okay, it seems the ID41 is the best quality/price ratio then!

Any thought on the SSD?

EDIT: Okay, here's what came out of my latest research:

I first compared the CPUs which are not the most important component apparently, using PassMark's website and here are the results:

1) ID81 with an Intel Celeron 857 CPU and a PassMark score of 1135
2) ID80 with an Intel ATOM Dual-Core D2700 CPU and a PassMark score of 836
3) ID41 with an Intel ATOM Dual-Core D525 and a PassMark score of 714

Next I looked at the SSD to determine if it was utter crap.
When looking at the SATA II theoretical speed I find something along the lines of 300Mb/s whereas if I look at this benchmark it seems the drive performs well below that:
Hardware.info's benchmark
So all I can tell is that I'm definitely not going to saturate the SATA II's bandwidth, but will it provide acceptable speed for my use?
Or should I aim at a less cheap SSD drive? I love Crucial, but it seems the V4 series is just not that good.

Then finally I tried to compare the video chipset of the three ZOTACs:

1) ID80 with a Nvidia 520M and a PassMark score of 390
2) ID81 with an Intel HD Graphics and a PassMark score of 306
3) ID41 with an ION and a PassMark score of 122

So in conclusion it would seem the ID80 would be the better choice, however it is 70€ more expensive.

I'm still lost Tongue
Updated last post with benchmark results
@CaptainDju

Hey man, did u eventually buy any zbox? It seems that i am the same dillima as you are ID41 vs ID80...
share you experience...
hey guys, welcome to the club Big Grin
i am thinking for weeks now about what system i should get for XBMCbuntu.

i had a ZBOX HD-ND22 which was not bad but heavy skins where not really smooth, i also noticed that the availability of ZBOXes is pretty poor on most of the models (or just in Austria/Germany?)
i am thinking about getting an i3 with ivy bridge in which case i am not so dependant on hardware acceleration anymore (videos which where not accelerated by the GPU stuttered most of the time).

a ID41 is almost not to get, is it discontinued?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC build - ID41 vs. ID81 vs. ID801