USB-Uirt + Android attempting the impossible?
Hey guys,

My first ever post as thanks to the excellent threads on this forum I've managed to figure everything else out.. 'till now.
What I'm attempting (and failing) to do is to:
Control XBMC from an android tablet and then have XBMC/Eventghost or similar send ir commands to A/V equipment via a USB-Uirt (e.g if I select music on the android app, XBMC could switch on amp and switch to pure direct mode, or if I selected a movie/TV show XBMC could send signal via USB Uirt to switch on amp, select correct sound field and switch on plasma/projector.
I know there are a number of android remote programs, but what I'm trying to do is be able to browse movies and music on tablet, then switch on system to play them.
The system I have built is as follows:

Windows 8 pre release
Intel Core i7 990 @ 4ghz
Silverstone CW02 case (vfd display, managed to get XBMC working via IMON)
Amp - Yamaha DSP-AZ11
TV - Panasonic TX-P55VT50
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE7000

Thank you so much in advance for your help, I haven't had much sleep in the past week trying to figure this out!

Have you consider to use the Unified Remote Full android app? This app have support for both XBMC, USB-Uirt and you can also build custom remotes. Requires that you install the server part on your windows box though.

http://www.unifiedremote.com/
I've gone down far down this road...

When I use my Android Galaxy SII, I use the Denon app to control my AVR (I have XBMC set as one of the quick scenes - turns it to the XBMC computer HDMI port, sets volume to 35, etc all in one fell swoop), use the official XBMC remote app browse movies and tv shows, and the XBMC pump app to control the music (freakin awesome new app that I'm really lovin').

I also use the unified remote app to handle some other things that I've put into bat files in conjunction with nircmds such as opening up a browser window view my network cameras, and/ or launch my aquarium.

Why am I using separate apps? Primarily, because my Denon app easily handles turning the volume up and down like the remote actually does (ie - the longer you hold it down, the quicker the volume goes up or down).

Neither Eventghost nor Intelliremote do so. Additionally, Eventghost works great when it works for anything but volume usage. But there was some sort of weird Windows 7 issue that caused the Eventghost program to stop recognizing USB/UIRT signals - so I switched to Intelliremote.

What's the best solution? Quite frankly, I use my Android apps only when my girlfriend is home and the remote control is near her instead of me.

My favorite solution is my Harmony One remote in combination with Intelliremote and Nircmd.

It's also my girlfriend's favorite solution due to ease of use!

Thanks a million for your help guys, I am slightly less confused now!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB-Uirt + Android attempting the impossible?0