Win HDMI Drop out in HTPC driving me crazy
Hey guys,

Been having this problem on and off. Sometimes it works all well but then sometimes its a nightmare and no matter what I try to do it doesn't work.

Here's the intro :
This is my setup

PC (AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.10 GHz + HD 6800 Card)
AV (Pioneer DV 220KV - which can bit stream DTS and Dolby Digital)
TV (Plasma 50 inch Full HD)

DVI cable from Graphic card to PC Monitor
HDMI cable runs from the Graphic card to AV
HDMI cable from AV to TV

Recently, I upgraded AMD CC to 12.8 version. But the problem existed even with the previous drivers.

I am running a dual monitor setup. Computer monitor is the primary monitor and the plasma being the extended monitor.
I set the XBMC to open on the secondary monitor (TV which is set at 1920 * 1080 resolution).

Coming to the problem :

When I start my PC and switch on the AV half way (sometimes AV is ON even before the PC is booted). When I load XBMC and try to play a file which has DTS or Dolby digital video it plays fine and the AV shows the relevant symbol on the screen.

But sometimes, it comes with the error : Failed to Initialise Audio Device.

Going to the Audio Output settings and changing it to stereo brings the sound but this is not what I want.

So, I try to shutdown XBMC and switch of TV (sometimes the AV) and load XBMC back and it starts to work fine. But this doesn't work always.

Also, when I switch the TV OFF and ON, the AV acts as if its resetting and the DECODER OFF symbol comes on the AV screen and even the PC monitor goes blank and back. Sometimes the AV sets itself back to PCM but on occasions I need to restart the AV.

I checked a few threads here where the advice was to stop the AMD External Events Utility service. This solved the problem of the light on the AV and the PC monitor not to fluctuate when I switch the TV ON and OFF.

But this started another problem where when I switch off the TV the volume icon on the PC comes up with a red cross and decide shows NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE IS INSTALLED

Please let me know if there is a way around this problem.

Have you tried updating the video drivers as I read somewhere that the version 11 drivers has audio issues

HTPC
XBMC v12 RC3 with myth TV backend || AMD Sempron 145 || 1gb DDR3 || ECS MCP61M-M3 Version 3 ( no core unlocker) || TBS6981 DVB-S2 tuner || ATI Radeon HD 5450 || 32gb Crucial SSD

NAS
IB-NAS4220-B HW revision 1.2 || 2x 1TB HDD RAID 1 || Open WRT firmware.
Thanks for reply.

Yes I did have 11.x drivers which I upgraded to 12.8. I read on another forum that users have similar problems with 12.8 drivers. I dropped them down to 12.1 and its a bit stable but still the problem exists.
This is a common problem with the setup you describe. I tried many thing to resolve the issue with my set up. I eventually just built a HTPC just for my AVR and 50 "

The problem lies in switching from PC audio to bit stream, and the AV tying to figure out whats going on. If you left your system on all the time then it would be ok, but thats not functional.

(2012-09-02, 11:27)Jetster Wrote: I eventually just built a HTPC just for my AVR and 50 "

Can you please explain this ?? So, does it mean you connected the htpc to the tv as the only monitor instead of having an extended monitor.

Because, I tried this method and when I turn on the TV , the same thing happens. I even tried to connect the pc to the Tv via the DVI cable but the same result.

Any other ideas Huh I don't mind building a stand alone HTPC, but what's the use if the same prob exists. And, is this a problem with only AMD Gcards ?? In that case I can try using a NVidia card.
Sad 
Yep happens with both AMD and Nvidia.. I've not been able to get it to work 100% or even 90% really so went back to using spdif (optical in my case) for audio to the amp.
This problem is all over the net...

I was hoping that the new "android" (sumovision, pivos etc) boxes would get rid of this by being able to leave them on but no joy - they still have probs when the amp or tv are turned on/off Sad
Davilla said the new boxes still look for a hdmi connection and if none is there drop back to 720p etc. This they *have* to alledgedly, just in case the tv has been changed and does not suport the same res.

Don't see why they can't make it work the same as my PS3 - this allows me to turn the amp and tv on/off with no probs? ...
And my virgin box..

Might try the Gefen HDMI doctor. This intercepts teh hdmi hand shaking and provides the ID thingy and has cured this problem for a lot of users. But even with this extra £70 outlay some users still can't get it working 100% - doh! Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Drop out in HTPC driving me crazy0