• 24(current)
Supert tv heeeeelp!
(2012-03-22, 10:27)mumu Wrote:
(2012-03-21, 21:09)jonnypa Wrote: Does anyone know why italian sky cinema channels don't work?? Only for a buffering problem??

that's because internet sucks in italy.
sky should have a solid 2,5 - 3mbit constant bandwidth available to avoid buffering.

I know...but other HD channels like NatGeo and Discovery work perfectly, so I think that my internet is good...why they don't re-introduce cinema channels and remove fox channels?
(2012-03-21, 21:09)jonnypa Wrote: Does anyone know why italian sky cinema channels don't work?? Only for a buffering problem??

sky should have a solid 2,5 - 3mbit constant bandwidth available to avoid buffering.
Actually, I was quite impressed by their 42.2MBit/s pay-as-you-go HSDPA+ flatrate service for ‌~$40/mo the last time I visited Italy, with 7.2MBit/s is available in every nook and cranny for approx. a nickel per month. They surely give AT&T a run for their money.

For what I've observed, the bandwidth is more in the range of 2800-4000kbit/s, though.
If you have a crappy provider, a 10MBit/s connection might not cut it. A) You're likely not have full 10MBit/s (Look in the web interface of your modem, it states the exact speed somewhere; this mostly applies to any connection via POTS aka DSL and especially mobile internet), and B) that only states the connection to the next box on the street, and says nothing about how the provider itself is connected to the internet. There are lots of connections between i.e. Melbourne and Dublin. Of course the connection can only be as fast as its slowest link.
@HansMayer

Any chance of a Filmon fix - as you 'promised' (!) a while back?

In fact, if you could just fix Dave channel, that'd do me!
(2012-03-22, 13:11)HansMayer Wrote:

Actually, I was quite impressed by their 42.2MBit/s pay-as-you-go HSDPA+ flatrate service for ‌~$40/mo the last time I visited Italy, with 7.2MBit/s is available in every nook and cranny for approx. a nickel per month. They surely give AT&T a run for their money.

For what I've observed, the bandwidth is more in the range of 2800-4000kbit/s, though.
If you have a crappy provider, a 10MBit/s connection might not cut it. A) You're likely not have full 10MBit/s (Look in the web interface of your modem, it states the exact speed somewhere; this mostly applies to any connection via POTS aka DSL and especially mobile internet), and B) that only states the connection to the next box on the street, and says nothing about how the provider itself is connected to the internet. There are lots of connections between i.e. Melbourne and Dublin. Of course the connection can only be as fast as its slowest link.

My router bandwidth is 997/12000...with speed tests I obtain results like 750/9600...not bad I think! Who transmits these sky channels? I want to ask him to remove fox channels and re-insert cinema channels!!! I think that if my connection perfectly works with NatGeo, Discovery and FoxCrime HD channels, it will work with cinema channels, Maybe removing other channels!
I think one thing we should all think about is that the channels that come with this Plug-In are shared by the community and the only individual that should be the decider of what channels should be Hans since he is the developer. I know I have asked Hans for a couple of channels without issue. I have found that the issues with caching are more and the provider side on how much bandwidth the provider has for each channel rather than issues on the user side. I am in London this week where I have much more bandwidth on my side but still having issues with some channels that I assume are watched a lot more.
(2012-03-22, 15:07)dwilliamhouston Wrote: I think one thing we should all think about is that the channels that come with this Plug-In are shared by the community and the only individual that should be the decider of what channels should be Hans since he is the developer. I know I have asked Hans for a couple of channels without issue. I have found that the issues with caching are more and the provider side on how much bandwidth the provider has for each channel rather than issues on the user side. I am in London this week where I have much more bandwidth on my side but still having issues with some channels that I assume are watched a lot more.

Yes you are right, but we (users) can do with Hans more tests on single channels: for example he can re-introduce only one channel and we can verify if it works properly or it buffers and then re-introduce another channel and so on. With these tests I think we can reach good results in terms of performances and we can have more channels without issues!
Hans, thank you for your great work! If you are interested to do some kind of test I'm avaible!

This is the TEORIC available bandwidth.
Real life speed is often different in both mobile and DSL connections.
They often do overselling to keep prices low, this impacts the performances in peak hours when a lot of people is connected.

Anyway for a solid streaming experience, it is more important stability than peak bandwidth.
With my 8Mbit DSL I often reach almost 900Kbyte/s in download then you could say that a 3Mbit/s streaming should not a problem.
But the most important thing in streaming is that I NEVER drop below that limit or the buffer gets emptied.

From What I have experienced with other providers too is that in peak hours is very difficult to never drop below 3Mbit
SuperTV is a good plugin but I find it doesn't exit well. When I've finished watching a channel I use keyboard 'x' to exit the channel then mouse click '..' to navigate out of the plugin. If I then use a different plugin I find SuperTV's counties list appearing within the newly selected plugin.

edit - just installed most recent version with updated controls so this may fix my exit issue.
(2012-03-22, 16:51)mumu Wrote:
(2012-03-22, 10:27)mumu Wrote: that's because internet sucks in italy.

They often do overselling to keep prices low, this impacts the performances in peak hours when a lot of people is connected.

Anyway for a solid streaming experience, it is more important stability than peak bandwidth.
With my 8Mbit DSL I often reach almost 900Kbyte/s in download then you could say that a 3Mbit/s streaming should not a problem.
But the most important thing in streaming is that I NEVER drop below that limit or the buffer gets emptied.

From What I have experienced with other providers too is that in peak hours is very difficult to never drop below 3Mbit

Yes, this is sure! But I think that it isn't only a speed connection problem. In fact Hd channels now properly works with the same connection (mine) which only one week ago seemed too slow for them. I think that it can be a problem of a sort of congestion on 2-3 channels that compromise the functioning of the entire system. However I think that we can perform a test to help Hans to further improve SuperTv performances.
(2012-03-22, 16:51)mumu Wrote:
(2012-03-22, 10:27)mumu Wrote: that's because internet sucks in italy.

Ha - you lot want to try living in the "Land of the Free !!!" - (actually, they mean "Land of the Expensive")

Even though it claims to be a developed nation, the US has absolutely TERRIBLE internet service (expensive, slow, very, very few choices),virtually non-existent mobile phone service at decent speeds and again HORRENDOUSLY expensive compared to certainly what I'm used to in Europe.

The infrastructure and choice we have in Europe we should be VERY proud of.... Even my "$20Mbit/s" Comcast cable circuit (over $70/month !!!!) only gives me about 13Mbit/s at best - down to 2Mbit/s in the evenings. Compare to the 22Mbit/s ADSL circuit I have back in the UK at the equivalent of $22/month. And there I have a choice of about 150 providers - here I have one cable, and two DSL (DSL at 1Mbit/s down !!!!! from Sonic and AT&T, no plans to upgrade, etc, etc).

Oh - I live in Silicon Valley, in case you were wondering.....
(2012-03-22, 15:07)dwilliamhouston Wrote: I think one thing we should all think about is that the channels that come with this Plug-In are shared by the community and the only individual that should be the decider of what channels should be Hans since he is the developer.

Sorry, but I disagree.

It's not fair either for us, the users, or for Hans to make him decide which single channel is included in each release.

It is way better if users are given the opportunity to import in an easy way their own channels or use community files links in supertv/rtmpgui+.

I strongly suggest that the HOME profile of each user should be utilised in rtmpgui+, so that a user can keep his/her own channel listings in a specific playlist format (i.e. LiveTV).

In this way, Hans would earn some time which he can spend either on fixing bugs or just going out and drink a beer or two. Smile
It's swings and roundabouts .... virtually everything in the US is at least 40% cheaper than Europe. Gas, food, technology, etc. You're fine & dandy as long as you don't need medical care!
how i can get the channels on blackoutworm's XXX to be listed??
(2012-03-22, 19:23)jonnypa Wrote: Yes, this is sure! But I think that it isn't only a speed connection problem. In fact Hd channels now properly works with the same connection (mine) which only one week ago seemed too slow for them. I think that it can be a problem of a sort of congestion on 2-3 channels that compromise the functioning of the entire system. However I think that we can perform a test to help Hans to further improve SuperTv performances.

Yes, of course the streaming server could be overloaded too in peak hours ...
Maybe the mix of the two factors is what makes the stream buffers so often.
(2012-03-22, 20:46)castalla Wrote: It's swings and roundabouts .... virtually everything in the US is at least 40% cheaper than Europe. Gas, food, technology, etc. You're fine & dandy as long as you don't need medical care!

OT
Well, I wouldn't trade your cheaper gas for my free transplant Big Grin
(2012-03-22, 20:32)dlake02 Wrote: The infrastructure and choice we have in Europe we should be VERY proud of.... Even my "$20Mbit/s" Comcast cable circuit (over $70/month !!!!) only gives me about 13Mbit/s at best - down to 2Mbit/s in the evenings. Compare to the 22Mbit/s ADSL circuit I have back in the UK at the equivalent of $22/month. And there I have a choice of about 150 providers - here I have one cable, and two DSL (DSL at 1Mbit/s down !!!!! from Sonic and AT&T, no plans to upgrade, etc, etc).

Oh - I live in Silicon Valley, in case you were wondering.....

Looks like Italy is more on the US side than UK ... Confused
(2012-03-22, 20:46)castalla Wrote: It's swings and roundabouts .... virtually everything in the US is at least 40% cheaper than Europe. Gas, food, technology, etc. You're fine & dandy as long as you don't need medical care!

Seriously Off-Topic:

Or decent public transport, or public schools that are properly funded, or a social and welfare system that cares about it's population or a decent pension, or any of the normal things that makes up society and not just for buying "stuff." Medical care also means prescription medications as well - and most of the normal drugs that you can buy OTC in Europe, here you need a prescription for and that means going to the doctor and that costs.....

BTW, food is NOT cheaper. Poor quality food is cheaper, but if you try and buy the same standard that you'd normally buy in the UK (I'm thinking Waitrose as a starting point) it's on-a-par with UK food prices. Try and buy REAL quality food (France, Italy, Spain, Germany, standards) - forget it.

Back on-topic:

Also, the TV here is just awful - that's why I am SO grateful to people that bring these wonderful plugins that allow me to watch quality, non-politically biased TV from Europe. I have 2 years to go in this place, and I am just hoping and praying that these streams remain until I get back home.....
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Supert tv heeeeelp!13