installing XBMC as Administrator or other user account?
I installed XBMC as the administrator for the HDTV I wanted to use it on. But then I realized that to restrict web browsing for this HDTV that I needed to have another account, since parental controls are not an option for the Admin account.

So I created another user account. But then in the other user account which I called "HTPC" I could not find the XBMC program.

What is the best way to install XBMC with this in mind? Should I have installed XBMC in the Admin account and then enable sharing of its folder to the "HTPC" user account? Or should I have just installed XBMC in the "HTPC" user account first since it is really the only account which we intend to use the program from?

I hope someone can shed some light on this subject. I'll hold off setup of XBMC on this PC till I know it is installed correctly for the user account.
So what happens if you just navigate from your C: drive to the program's directory and run XBMC? You'd think it'd work perfectly fine as any other program installed in Windows using another account and accessed with another. Just because you don't have a shortcut available in the new user account doesn't mean the program is not installed and usable within that account.

You'll probably have to check your Program Files directory, or where ever you installed it.
(2012-09-02, 03:25)g725s Wrote: So I created another user account. But then in the other user account which I called "HTPC" I could not find the XBMC program.

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer, as well as not finding it in the list of programs from the start menu, I cannot find the XBMC folder on the C: drive of the user account I created either.
(2012-09-02, 05:52)g725s Wrote:
(2012-09-02, 03:25)g725s Wrote: So I created another user account. But then in the other user account which I called "HTPC" I could not find the XBMC program.

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer, as well as not finding it in the list of programs from the start menu, I cannot find the XBMC folder on the C: drive of the user account I created either.
Well that's just odd. If it was installed, it should be there. User accounts shouldn't matter. They should not be hidden from any other user account. If you log back into the original installed account do you have access to XBMC? If so, make note of the directory path then log into the other user account and see if you have access to that path.
Yes, everything was there in the Administrator account that I installed XBMC in. But again, when I created the user account nothing was in there. I know my way around Windows fairly well. I've built my own PCs for years.

I have since shared the folder (via the Administrator account) with the user account and created shortcuts in the start menu and such. This seems to work.

But I still wonder if I should uninstall everything and start over reinstalling XBMC in the user account.

I'm surprised that no one here knows the best way to set up XBMC in Windows 7 when you want to use the program in a user account.
bump. Since this fell four pages back and the mods deleted my other post in another forum here….

Is there not anyone here with a fair amount of experience installing XBMC on Windows 7 PCs?
I run XBMC in portable mode to D:\XBMC on W7 so I don't get that kind of a problem since I use a locked down user with auto login and want to be able to test and do stuff with the Administrators account when that's necessary.

But I guess UAC is the reason if you installed XBMC to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86).
(2012-09-04, 23:45)kaffekask Wrote: I run XBMC in portable mode to D:\XBMC on W7 so I don't get that kind of a problem since I use a locked down user with auto login and want to be able to test and do stuff with the Administrators account when that's necessary.

But I guess UAC is the reason if you installed XBMC to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86).

Do you install XBMC while in the Administrator account or from within the User account? And are you able to access XBMC from both accounts?

I don't catch this problem at all.
As with any other software on Win7 with or without activated UAC, any non-admin-user can install software as long as he knows the admin-account's credentials: if I'm on a standard-user account, I just right-click the installer, click "Run as Administrator", type the credentials and let the installer do it's job. If I'm logged in as admin, I just will have to answer the UAC-hint.
As long as one does not change the installation path, also XBMC will be installed into the corresponding standard folder (%programfiles% or %programfiles (x86)%) as ANY user is allowed to read and execute what is found here.
If the XBMC isn't there but the installer did it's job, you can try searching for xbmc in Win7's starmenu - if it's not on the drive, it is not installed.
So what has happend with your installation? Did you change the installation path? Can you access XBMC when logged in as admin? IS XBMC installed at all?
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
(2012-09-05, 02:38)g725s Wrote: Do you install XBMC while in the Administrator account or from within the User account? And are you able to access XBMC from both accounts?

I installed it logged in a Administrator (without UAC, that's the first thing I turn off on my computers), started it and made the first tests still logged in as Administrator.
After that I gave the other account the rights needed to the directory and sub directories (Modify) and started using that account.

(2012-09-05, 11:49)Fry7 Wrote: As long as one does not change the installation path, also XBMC will be installed into the corresponding standard folder (%programfiles% or %programfiles (x86)%) as ANY user is allowed to read and execute what is found here.

I've seen situations where directories and files gets hidden in those paths when you install something logged in as Administrator and have UAC enabled.
W7 treats those directories a little bit different from other directories.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
installing XBMC as Administrator or other user account?0