Are you able to play this video seamlessly?
Video 
Are you able to play this video file seamlessly?

The first video, 'Birds': http://cybernetnews.com/xbmc-high-bitrate-sample-videos or direct link: http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/h26..._birds.mkv

Specs of the video:
Quote:HD Quality: 1080p MKV
File Size: 110 MB
Frame Rate: 23.976 FPS
Average Bitrate: 39.1 Mbps
Duration: 23 seconds

When I play it, there is a slight stutter every so often, maybe stutter is too strong of a word, but it just doesn't seem as fluid as it could be. It's most noticeable when the camera pans out. Could it be a limitation on my card?

I am just playing it through VLC, but I don't think that would affect playback.

Curious to hear how other people's HTPC's perform.

What are your system specs? Are you playing it from a local hard drive, network server, flash drive, USB hard drive etc? I'll be home to test this in about an hour but I love tests!
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Like butter!

I also have the full HD rip of the show that clip is taken from - either Planet Earth, Life, or Nature's Most Amazing Events, etc. One of those excellent BBC Earth docos.

I'm running:
AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.7-ish (slightly overclocked)
Sapphire HD6450
8GB G.Skill RAM @ 1333

Yeah, it's a bit much for an HTPC, but I also run encodes and downloads on it.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
3 of my 4 HTPC's played it no problem, smooth as butter. My Core2 Duo E4500 HTPC with an ATI R4350 graphics card did not like it, stuttered during playback. My Raspberry Pi with the latest Xbian build wouldn't even play it... it looked like it was trying to but I got tired and gave up on it.

HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

My A6-PACK played it correctly.... like a nice pint being pored down into the glass....
We have this running smoothly even on a Zotac Nano AD10 (fusion E350): http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1136583
Now I'm getting scarred. What media player are you guys using to play it?
(2012-09-02, 14:38)snowboarder33 Wrote: Now I'm getting scarred. What media player are you guys using to play it?

Seeing as this is an XBMC forum I'd guess XBMC.
(2012-09-02, 14:42)Hitcher Wrote:
(2012-09-02, 14:38)snowboarder33 Wrote: Now I'm getting scarred. What media player are you guys using to play it?

Seeing as this is an XBMC forum I'd guess XBMC.

Thanks for being so kind.

Okay so I tried playing it in XBMC, and it seems to play just fine. That's strange, maybe it had something to do with VLC media player.

What about dropped frames?

It looks as though I had 1 dropped frame during that video:

However, I played it again and had 0:

Then I played that HD-DVD promo video and had several:

What does this mean? Not exactly sure what the dropped frames actually is, but I know that it is bad.
Ok, this is odd. The dropped frame count is only when I start the file, Once the video begins, the dropped frame count is 26 and it ends at 26. However, if I start skipping around in the video, then the dropped frame count increases.

I tried playing Avatar in 1080p, and the same thing - it started with like 8 dropped frames, I watched it for about 30 minutes and the count didn't increase. However, when I started to skip around, then the count increased.

Also, when I was skipping randomly through the movie, the video would kinda stutter for a second once it resumed from the new sequence. Anyone know what is causing this problem?
Actually, I think this topic is better suited for the 'General Help & Support' board, I'll make a topic there instead.
If you are happy with XBMC's playback quality leave it well enough alone... ;–) otherwise it'll drive you to the brink of insanity.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
My not very powerful at all Acer Revo 3700 managed to play that streamed wirelessly from my main pc without a dropped frame.
(2012-09-02, 15:20)snowboarder33 Wrote: What about dropped frames?

It looks as though I had 1 dropped frame during that video:

However, I played it again and had 0:

Then I played that HD-DVD promo video and had several:

What does this mean? Not exactly sure what the dropped frames actually is, but I know that it is bad.

So what? Did you notice anything? The "24p" bug rears it ugly head yet again. No platform is immune, btw.
(2012-09-02, 16:22)snowboarder33 Wrote: Ok, this is odd. The dropped frame count is only when I start the file, Once the video begins, the dropped frame count is 26 and it ends at 26. However, if I start skipping around in the video, then the dropped frame count increases.

That's completely normal. Even the Madvr and reclock proponents don't count dropped frames at the beginning or after skipping.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are you able to play this video seamlessly?0