Are you able to play this video seamlessly?
VLC is not the best for utilizing resources. That would be Media Player Classic with the proper codex. It play perfectly on mine i3 with a 6670 both in MPC and XBMC
(2012-09-02, 22:36)assassin Wrote: So what? Did you notice anything? The "24p" bug rears it ugly head yet again. No platform is immune, btw.

(2012-09-02, 22:51)assassin Wrote:
(2012-09-02, 16:22)snowboarder33 Wrote: Ok, this is odd. The dropped frame count is only when I start the file, Once the video begins, the dropped frame count is 26 and it ends at 26. However, if I start skipping around in the video, then the dropped frame count increases.

That's completely normal. Even the Madvr and reclock proponents don't count dropped frames at the beginning or after skipping.

Well I ask because I'm just afraid that it may be some red flag of something majorly wrong. I didn't see any dropped frames during regular playback, seems to only happen right at the start and when I skip through the film.

That's a relief that it's considered normal, I was freaking out and debating returning everything.

Why is it though, from your video showing the G620 build, you don't have a drop frame count at the beginning of your films? Same thing with Beer40oz's A6-Pack build, his doesn't have a frame count at the beginning and even after he does some fastforwarding.

Depends usually on the type of video played and the bitrate, in my experience.
Well are you using any other add-ons or an external player in XBMC or anything at all besides vanilla XBMC w/ Aeon?

Ok so I figured out the cause of that damn beginning frame drop count - disable "Adjust Display Refresh Rate to Match Video". (Followed the stickied XBMC guide on AVSForums which had that to be enabled, not sure why since it causes frame drops)

I still get several frame drops when fastforwarding more than 2x, otherwise none at 2x, but when I am FFing at more than 2x, the drop count increases rapidly, as in like over 1,000 if I just leave it running. And still with most videos, 20-30 drops when skipping chapters.
@snowboarder33,
If I'm not mistaken, you have AMD HD6570 discrete GPU. Have you done all the simple things as shown below.....

1. Update AMD latest driver from here- AMD Driver Autodetect
2. You can start off by disable everything in CCC Video/Quality other than "Enforce Smooth Video Playback" as shown in my screen shot below
3. Enable DXVA2 and select DXVA as Render method and disable everything else in XBMC system/video/playback
4. Enable "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC system/system/vdeo output

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-09-02, 14:54)snowboarder33 Wrote: That's strange, maybe it had something to do with VLC media player.
I didn't test your clip, but I have XBMC and VLC installed on my notebook which is running an i3-380M without dedicated GPU, and playing a 1080p video can be different as day and night with these tools, XBMC generally doing a great job (even though the hardware isn't exactly made for 1080p playback) while VLC tends to fail terribly. Don't know why; just confirming your observation.
(2012-09-03, 06:45)bluray Wrote: @snowboarder33,
If I'm not mistaken, you have AMD HD6570 discrete GPU. Have you done all the simple things as shown below.....

1. Update AMD latest driver from here- AMD Driver Autodetect
2. You can start off by disable everything in CCC Video/Quality other than "Enforce Smooth Video Playback" as shown in my screen shot below
3. Enable DXVA2 and select DXVA as Render method and disable everything else in XBMC system/video/playback
4. Enable "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC system/system/vdeo output

Thanks bluray. When I was searching through older topics, I noticed you made similar suggestions to someone else, so I did make those changes; except for the CCC adjustments, I'll see if mine has the same settings checked.

I did have Avatar play all the way through regularly and there were 0 dropped frames - I guess that's what really matters, right? So maybe I shouldn't worry about the dropped frames after skipping and FFing more than 2x, since Assassin did say that can be normal. Also, it might depend on the file itself, because with another movie, The Dark Knight, I am able to skip around chapters without any stuttering or dropped frames.

(2012-09-03, 11:02)jaochoo Wrote:
(2012-09-02, 14:54)snowboarder33 Wrote: That's strange, maybe it had something to do with VLC media player.
I didn't test your clip, but I have XBMC and VLC installed on my notebook which is running an i3-380M without dedicated GPU, and playing a 1080p video can be different as day and night with these tools, XBMC generally doing a great job (even though the hardware isn't exactly made for 1080p playback) while VLC tends to fail terribly. Don't know why; just confirming your observation.

I don't think I'm going to use VLC media player anymore. Thanks for the heads up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are you able to play this video seamlessly?0