Combined build - media center and home server
Hi all

So the key thing for this build is to be able to use it as a home
server/NAS and as a media center at the same time. It would be
really nice if I didn't have to get one box for each surpose.
Therefore it have to be small and silent enough to be in my living
room so I can hook it up to my TV to run XBMC..Therefore the
noise level should ideally be under 25 dB(from two meters) and
the case color should preferable be white or any light shade.
The case should hold at least 2-3 HDD's.

I will use this computer for torrenting, browsing youtube, backups,
playing basic games and storing/playing/streaming media.

I am flexible budget wise. But it would be nice if it could be under
$600 including a 2/3 TB HDD. And what do you think about the WD
Red-series?

I'm looking forward to your advice Smile
What OS are you thinking about, Linux or Windows?

If you're talking Linux...

For a long time, I ran an Intel e6300 with an old nvidia video card. It ran XBMC, mysql, torrent, apache, a second virtual desktop accessed via vnc with a couple of applications always running, kvm for a virtualized Asterisk machine, hosted an MDADM Raid5 array (which housed the videos for XBMC), served that array up to the rest of the house over SMB for network file storage/access, and also a few other services. It was usually in the 95% idle range while watching videos, with higher usage depending on what else was being done.. But, it never felt like it was struggling.

The big question mark is what "playing basic games" means, and what OS you're thinking about. The OS would matter due to hardware considerations (Nvidia vs ATI.. Though I'd heard that ATI has cleaned itself up under Linux).
For playing games like Dirt 3, Fifa and Skyrim. Generally speaking games which can be played with a Xbox 360 controller. Go i guess at least Intel HD 4000/A8-3870K) niveau. Other than Windows might be necessary for some games it dont really matter. I'm not really a Linux pro but I know it enough to setup stuff like samba.
Heh, I wouldn't call those basic.

If you want to run Linux, you're looking at Wine. I have no idea how they perform using Wine, though, nor about hooking up an xbox360 controller. You'd most likely be better off going Windows, unless you want a project/hobby box.

I'd feel pretty safe in saying "Anything that can run those games acceptably at 1080p resolutions is many times more powerful than what you'd need for the rest of that stuff put together". So, you're more looking at "What hardware do I need to run those games" and figuring out how to get to that threshold within your noise/hardware/price constraints. The only caveat I'd put on it is make sure the video card you choose can do 3D TV (if tha'ts important to you) if you go with a weak cpu; Eskro's sticky that should help you figure out the minumum needed there. In fact, there are a few builds in there that might do the trick for you, but you'll have to cross-reference the cpu against cpu reviews for gaming performance.
I say basic because it dont have to be maxed out graphics. It can be low or medium video settinge at 1080p resolution. I'm looking and researching the builds in his thread right now.
AMD A8-3870K would be nice to have. But will I be able to keep it cool and silent enough?

EDIT: Changed 3850 to 3870K.
Again, I just don't get the point of the A8. Its a very poor choice for HTPC, imo. There is this assumption that the Llano platform is a fantastic gaming platform --- its not. You will have to decrease or turn off a lot of settings and won't be able to play games at anywhere near their potential.

A better option is an Intel CPU (Ivy Pentium or i3 which come out this week) with a discrete ATI or NVidia card. This combo will be able to play everything at max settings, will run cooler and may even use less energy depending on what you choose.

And for a non-gaming machine the A8 makes absolutely no sense to me at all yet I see it recommended and used on this website almost every single day.
I didn't know of this upcoming release. I guess I will wait for its release and some reviews and benchmark. .
Will be 5-15% stronger than their sandy bridge counterparts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Combined build - media center and home server0