Linux New graphics card (and photoshop?)
Video 
Hi Guys,

Currently my HTPC is running xbmc on Ubuntu 12.04, with a PNY 9800GT 512mb graphics card. I want to replace this card with something that can handle HDMI 1.4 (3d) and DTS-HD etc. I have zero gaming requirement on this rig.

I am thinking along the lines of a ZOTAC GeForce GT 620. Any thoughts on this card? I am looking for other suggestions, but please bear in mind I am running a Linux setup so it has to be Nvidia for compatibility issues.

I am proposing that the old PNY9800GT is then transplanted to my old mans (windows) PC that is currently running on-board graphics for relatively light (hobby/pensioner) Photoshop work. He has upgraded to CS6 Extended, and it seems to be that this card will work well with Photoshop's Mercury graphics engine. Does anyone have any experience of this? I know this isn't strictly the place, but you never know your luck!I have read the Adobe pages and some other forums, and it looks like a good fit to me. I can't just plug it an see - geography.

I am looking for the right tool for the job for my HTPC. I have noticed that the 9800GT is struggling a bit with higher quality blu-ray backups, and an ever so slight jerkiness when scrolling menus with music playing and the project M graphics running in the background. But I guess that is down to it's h264 ability, as really it is a gaming card and a few years old as well.

Can I expect better XBMC performance from the GT620 vs the 9800GT? Huh

Thankyou,

MrP

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New graphics card (and photoshop?)0