Router problem or not?
Hi all,

I am new to the forums but have been enjoying XBMC for a while now. The only problem I have with XBMC is that when watching a live stream I get a lot of buffering.

I currently have a Netgear N150 wireless router connected to a fibre modem and my download speeds are always in the high 20 Mbps and my upload speed around 1.5 so I would say my internet speed is ok.

I have been thinking about buying the ASUS RT-N56U but first of all want to know if it would make a difference. Is the problem likely to be with my router or is buffering just part and parcel of live streaming due to the source and traffic?

Would anyone advise me to buy the ASUS anyway?

Kev.
What are you watching or is it any live stream?
Any live stream really, mostly sports.

How far is the router from your XBMC machine? same level of the house?

In general, even g router speeds are much faster than internet speed. G will usually transfer around 54mbps so I wouldn't think that your router speed is impeding the stream. Although, the N150 is a modem/router so that may cause issues. Have you tried running a CAT5e cable (if possible) to see if that improves things?

Also, if your XBMC machine is not capable of n speeds then a router such as the ASUS one would not be necessary. If you end up looking for a new router I would suggest a D-Link DIR-625 if your NIC is g, or a D-Link DIR-655 if it is n.
The Netgear that I have is just a router (no modem). It is plugged into a Thompson modem. The router is the same level as the apple TV that I have XBMC installed on and only a few feet away through 1 door.

The Netgear that I have is an N router which is good because the apple TV is N and my Macbook is N.

I have tried CAT 5 cable and still get buffering, would CAT 5e make a difference?
probably not, testing with a cable is just seeing if the issue is with the wireless signal or not. If you are still getting the same results than chances are it is either an issue with your router, or an issue with the streaming source.

Also, the N150 has a modem built in, you may not be using it because of the Thompson, but it may be causing troubles with incoming data. Have you ever experienced any other issues with your internet?
No problems with Internet, it seems fast enough. I might go for the asus for its dual band as I have both g and n devices. Do you think the dual band d-link is a better router?
Personally I prefer D-Lonk networking devices, never had a problem with em. Haven't ever used ASUS routers so I don't knowwhat they are like, although I grew up when D-Link and Linksys were the only choices lol

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Router problem or not?0