Shared song data for visualisation of popular songs [Project SmartMilk]
Original Topic
It would be cool if you had a visualisation add-on that like Subtitles for videos downloaded visualisation data for popular songs. Data that would be created by users containing information on drops, beats etc. for songs. To provide a more richer and deeper visualisation experience.

I think that a bit of human analyzation on some songs could really spice things up!

Update. 0

Since I don't seem to get any responses to this, while I personally think this would be a major evolution to music visualisation for a low cost of both cpu usage and bandwidth.

I will try starting a little hobby fork of milkdrop on my own. And since I never use Winamp and only use audio visualisation on my Htpc. The Xbmc port of milkdrop is what I will try to work with.

So I hereby announce the project "SmartMilk" officially started. Milkdrop is written in C++ so if you want to help and got some knowledge, your welcome aboard.

Since I know that there are already databases for synced lyrics. I will start with simple things like popping up a graphical representation of a symbol or number. It may not look awesome, but it would show the possibility of what I want to do with the project in the future.

Update. 1

The xbmc port of milkdrop is a coding mess. Old code is comment out EVERYWHERE. I don't know if the xbmc dev team has guidelines for this, but some simple googling can get you the general opinion:
http://nedbatchelder.com/text/deleting-code.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12342...you-update
http://www.markhneedham.com/blog/2009/01...-out-code/
Theres a lot more to whine about (and I understand why, the community really wanted milkdrop incorporated and that fast) but this is something I really want every developer out there to absorb.
In other words. What I mostly will be doing right now is restructuring most of it. I simply cant work with this. Fortunately I have the original milkdrop source code to understand some inner workings.

If the dev team want my restructured version of the milkdrop port I would be happy to give it to them.
Hi DavidKron,

The idea is to take a visualizer, leverage XBMC's extraordinary information-gathering and databasing abilities, and combine them to make possibly the coolest visualizer on earth?

Lack of responses = no one checks this forum because no one posts. No one posts because no one can make any new screensavers because the old code is dead. The way forward is Binary Add-ons. Once this is done, screen savers can be done properly. If you want the depressing details I can PR you.

You can actually use Python to create a screen saver. This hit nightlies on August 3 and hit monthlies on Frodo-alpha6. The dev who wrote the python screensavers code (hint: he as an adorable nameSmile) will be his releasing his SS pretty soon. If you think python visualizers should exist, get in touch with said dev.

QED: SmartMilk will be the shit

Regards,
Garrett
Coming by to say please continue to work on SmartMilk, we all would love some new visualizations.
(2012-09-11, 16:06)khaoohs Wrote: Coming by to say please continue to work on SmartMilk, we all would love some new visualizations.

+1

Looking forward to a new visualization!
"Live to Win!"
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
This is actually moving on quite ok!

I am currently loading in a xml formatted homemade file, wich is stored localy containing this text:

Code:
<instrument>
    <id>A</id>
    <start>0.5000</start>
    <gap>0.938073</gap>
</instrument>

This tells SmartMilk that there is a clap occurring every "gap" seconds after start,

Every time this clap occurs the bass value gets modified and i have a custom preset which makes a wave rotate when this occur. Here is a video:

Important:
I really need a way to get information of the song progress from xbmc. I can figure out how much time has passed and so forth but i cant seem to be able to get noticed when i pause in xbmc. There is a plugin function called "OnAction" but it does not give me this information.

Also it would be awesome if there would be a some sort of visualization data scraper for this sort of thing. When i get a more certain about how the format of this data should look, i will probably make a request in the scrapers thread.
I know this is a developer section, but still I'd like to add, that I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a new visualisation (and it would be awesome if it worked on an apple tv 2).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shared song data for visualisation of popular songs [Project SmartMilk]0