UnRAID: drive outside of the array
Configuring my first UNRAID...
Parity - 2TB WD Green
Disk 1 - 1TB WD Green
Disk 2 - 1TB WD Black

Having started to move files around I see how very slow UNRAID is. That is not a problem in itself, and not a criticism.

I am considering though maintaining a drive outside of the array and therefore unprotected. This would maintain the current shows being downloaded via SickBeard and the most recent Movies. I would then copy those files once a month over to the array.

Does this make sense ? Can I do this ? I an still setup shares on the drive outside the array can't I ? Is there any downside to this ?

Thanks.
Just buy a plus license and use the built in cache drive. It does exactly what you want and the default is to move files overnight to the protected array.

Then you can also install sickbeard, sabnzbd and the others in a folder starting with a dot. For example .downloaders which won't be moved to the main array.
Also you are talking about slow performance moving things around. You probably mean from a pc/USB/whatever to the server not within the array?

If you are moving files within the array just ssh in and use mv.. Moves instantly.
Look at the unraid add-on called S.N.A.P.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5904.0
+1 for the plus license and cache drive. That's what I have setup in my unRaid server. I configured SAB and Sickbeard to download and sort the movies then unRaid's mover script automatically moves the downloaded movies/tv shows to the protected array once a day.

I also use SNAP but for a different purpose. If you're using unRaid 5, there is an updated version of SNAP in the plg format for unRaid 5. I have an external USB 4 drive enclosure which SNAP manages and, when I plug it in, automatically copies any missing files to the USB drive. This drive is what I take in my RV to keep my library with me while traveling.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UnRAID: drive outside of the array0