unRAID Server Setup Advice
Hey all, new to the XBMC forums and looking to hit the ground running. I have been using an aTV (1st gen with XBMC installed) and a Boxee Box for too long and its time for me to upgrade my setup. The first thing I plan to do is build an unRAID Server, so I started by checking here.

I was looking at the thread by eskro:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...post886478

Awesome information by the way, especially in the 10HDD version. I am looking at the 12HDD Version. The being said, below is the what I am looking to do and was hoping someone could help me out with components for it (since a) it differs with my use case a bit and b) all parts don't exist anymore).

I am looking to keep this under $400 with a start of 6 HDDs, expending as I need too. I am looking to ideally run SABnzbd, SickBeard and Couch Potato directly on this, not sure if possible but would also like my back-end XBMC DB stored here so all parts of my house can pick up where ever I want. Everything in my house is gigabit connections, and everything except one room would be wired (bedroom wireless). Not that it matters in the build, but I have 75/35 FiOS.

Build Questions:
Case: AZZA Helios 910 SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($79.99 + $30 mail-in)
Mobo: ASRock 880GM-LE FX AM3+ AMD 880G Micro ATX ($54.99)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core ($59.99)
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($54.99 + $10 off with CollegeSave10 promo code)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) ($19.99)
Hot Swap: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B Black 5x 3.5" Hot-swap SATA Hard Disk Drive Trays ($99.99)
TOTAL: $392.14 (after shipping)
TOTAL after rebates: $362.14

unRAID Questions:
1. Available I have: 2x2TB WD Green drives, 2x1.5TB WD Green Drives, 2x1TB Drives. How does unRAID handle me swapping them out for bigger drives some day? I know one 2TB would be a parity drive. But my question is, when I hit 12 drives and want to replace a 1TB with a 2 or 3TB drive will I have any issue with data loss?
You can swap the drives out later, very easy, no loss of data. You can only do one drive at a time. At this stage stick with <2Tb drives, as they are supported on unRAID 4.7 (new version v5 to support >2Tb)
2. Can you replace a parity drive? Lets say I hit my 12 HDD limit, could I replace a parity drive with a 3TB drive and move forward?
Yes you can replace the parity drive, you would then need to re-calculate parity (one click). The Parity drive MUST be the largest, so this would be your first drive to upgrade to 3Tb (once running v5)
3. With what I am looking to do, do I want a cache drive? If so, should that be a max size drive or can it be a smaller drive, say 500GB?
50/50 choice on the cache drive. If you write a lot to the array and it is time critical, then get a cache drive. EG. I download on my Win7 box, then transfer to unRAID. It is a pain to write 20+gigs at 13Mb/sec. I use a cache drive and get 60Mb/sec.
4. Assuming it can be smaller, could it also be swapped in and out or no? I assume no.
The parity drive MUST be bigger than what you would ever expect to write to your array in ONE day* so as long as you dont plan on writing more than 500GB a day to your array it will be fine.
5. I plan to play games (maybe highest quality being Dreamcast) off of my HTPC once it is made (another topic, another day), can the games be stored on this or would it be to slow to transfer/play them? What do most people do. My order of importance is: TV Shows (SD/HD), Movies (SD/HD/3D possible), Games, anything else).
Reading off unRAID should be around 30-60Mb/sec, typically if you run a 100mb network or WiFi it will be the bottleneck. Do yourself a massive favour, get a cheap 1000mb switch use some Cat6 cable and it will be almost as good as if the drives were in your HTPC.
6. Does switching from version 4.x to 5.x mean anything difficult or can I just update the flash drive and it will be good to go?

Sorry if pretty much everything has been answered before, I spent the better part of the last two days scouring these and the unRAID forums just learning about everything.

Thanks everyone for the help, I will let everyone know who is interested in how setup goes. I am starting off with:

2x2TB WD Green Drives (one of them parity)
2x1.5TB WD Green Drives
1x1TB WD Drive
1x320GB WD Drive (Cache)

Since I am running everything off of this NAS (CPotato, SickB, SAB, MySQL), do I want to use a cache drive, or is it a waste of a HDD spot.
Living Room: Vizio 65" 4K HDR/DV, Apple TV | Mancave: Panasonic 46" Plasma, FireTV | Bedroom: Panasonic 32" LCD, FireTV
NAS: unRAID 6.x (64TB + cache) | AZZA Helios 910 | ASRock Z68 Extreme4 | Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz | Antec NEO ECO 520W | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB | Supermicro CSE-M35T-1B
Someone else might want to chime in about the first part, as for the second:

Quote:2. unRAID Questions:
-Available I have: 2x2TB WD Green drives, 2x1.5TB WD Green Drives, 2x1TB Drives. How does unRAID handle me swapping them out for bigger drives some day? I know one 2TB would be a parity drive. But my question is, when I hit 12 drives and want to replace a 1TB with a 2 or 3TB drive will I have any issue with data loss?

You can swap the drives out later, very easy, no loss of data. You can only do one drive at a time. At this stage stick with <2Tb drives, as they are supported on unRAID 4.7 (new version v5 to support >2Tb)

Quote:-Can you replace a parity drive? Lets say I hit my 12 HDD limit, could I replace a parity drive with a 3TB drive and move forward?
Yes you can replace the parity drive, you would then need to re-calculate parity (one click). The Parity drive MUST be the largest, so this would be your first drive to upgrade to 3Tb (once running v5)

Quote:-With what I am looking to do, do I want a cache drive? If so, should that be a max size drive or can it be a smaller drive, say 500GB?
50/50 choice on the cache drive. If you write a lot to the array and it is time critical, then get a cache drive. EG. I download on my Win7 box, then transfer to unRAID. It is a pain to write 20+gigs at 13Mb/sec. I use a cache drive and get 60Mb/sec.
The parity drive MUST be bigger than what you would ever expect to write to your array in ONE day* so as long as you dont plan on writing more than 500GB a day to your array it will be fine.

Quote:-Assuming it can be smaller, could it also be swapped in and out or no? I assume no.
The cache drive will be empty most of the time, so you can swap it with ease.

Quote:-I plan to play games (maybe highest quality being Dreamcast) off of my HTPC once it is made (another topic, another day), can the games be stored on this or would it be to slow to transfer/play them? What do most people do. My order of importance is: TV Shows (SD/HD), Movies (SD/HD/3D possible), Games, anything else).

Reading off unRAID should be around 30-60Mb/sec, typically if you run a 100mb network or WiFi it will be the bottleneck. Do yourself a massive favour, get a cheap 1000mb switch use some Cat6 cable and it will be almost as good as if the drives were in your HTPC.

kortina,

thank you for the information, I will update my original thread with the updated information to keep track of this better for me and anyone else reading the thread.
Living Room: Vizio 65" 4K HDR/DV, Apple TV | Mancave: Panasonic 46" Plasma, FireTV | Bedroom: Panasonic 32" LCD, FireTV
NAS: unRAID 6.x (64TB + cache) | AZZA Helios 910 | ASRock Z68 Extreme4 | Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz | Antec NEO ECO 520W | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB | Supermicro CSE-M35T-1B
Extra question, does switching from version 4.x to 5.x mean anything difficult or can I just update the flash drive and it will be good to go?
Thrashmagazine,

Not sure if you are aware of this deal, but I just ordered a 12 bay 2U server from them.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-yo...lternative

It was 250ish shipped from Utah to NC. Depending on where you are housing it, it might be a bit too noisy for you, but thought I would mention it. Fits your price and might save you some work and $$$. Mine is going into a closet area so noise isn't much of a concern. The thread I linked has a 24 and a 12 bay server, so read through the first couple of paragraphs on the first post and you will see what they have. Hope it helps, if not, then GL with the build and great post. You asked many questions that I would like the answers too as well, even though I doubt I will be building one now that I have the 2U on the way.

(2012-09-05, 18:14)thrashmagazine Wrote: Extra question, does switching from version 4.x to 5.x mean anything difficult or can I just update the flash drive and it will be good to go?

From what I have read, and I haven't actually done an upgrade yet, it is very simple. Backup a few files and do the upgrade to the flash drive.
(2012-09-05, 21:27)Diggs Wrote: Thrashmagazine,

Not sure if you are aware of this deal, but I just ordered a 12 bay 2U server from them.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412640/are-yo...lternative

Thanks for the post. I think I am looking to build something however, the deal looks good (not gonna lie, the company looks sketch though Wink). Any PC company that has a website that isn't functioning is a bit scary in my eyes. But regardless, I want the fun of building Big Grin
Updated the OP, still looking for a PSU/RAM and MOBO. Any help would be appreciated.

The PSU I assume wont output enough for the power if this gets filled, am I right/wrong on this? I was never good with power consumption Wink

Is the CPU I picked overpowered? I do want to use it for MySQL, CouchPotato, SickBeard and SAB.
Is that case fine?
For a PSU... I will not buy a CX430... I guess I got a bad one from a bad batch a while back ago... a lot of people did on new egg....

Trusted one I now had several of them is the Antec Neo Eco....

Get the Antec NEO ECO 520W lots of power ports... it's also 10 bucks off at the moment....

ASRock 880GM-LE FX

And x2 sticks of Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3

The processor should be fine you have listed... for all your processing needs...

Take a look at my server... I use the older non-FX mobo...

also you have probably seen this thread...
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=12219.0

(2012-09-06, 08:39)Beer40oz Wrote: And x2 sticks of Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3

I updated my main post, thanks again for all the help Beer40oz/everyone else. Anything wrong with what I got going on? Below are my remaining questions now:

1. Will 520W be enough power for around 10HDDs (that would be the max at the foreseeable future).
2. Should I buy a heat sink or use the one with the CPU?
3. Any reason to use the crucial you listed as oppose to the G.Skill 4GB single stick I listed (I'm a G.Skill kinda guy Wink, but seriously, is their a performance reason for 2 sticks?)
4. What other stuff do I need? I know I need 5-3, or 4-3 cages, anything else? I can get SATA cables fine. Once I pass 6 drives I need to buy some PCI Express SATA cards correct?
Hi.... I said 4 gigs... of ram 2 sticks... because you are going to run apps... also you can just get one stick of 4 gigs...

Ok G skill I dont want to get into it but some sticks have failed on me.... king and crucial been nice to me... its your choice...

Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W
- Plus certified
- doesn't come with a power cable
- 40A, supports up to 18 green drives or 11 7200 rpm drives
- recommended for mid-sized servers, 10 - 15 drives

you do not need an aftermarket cooler..... try the stock one.... i have an aftermarket because I had it laying there.... but the stock one works....
Build Questions:
1. Case: AZZA Helios 910 SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($79.99 + $30 mail-in)
2. Mobo: ASRock 880GM-LE FX AM3+ AMD 880G Micro ATX ($54.99)
3. CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core ($59.99)
4. PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($54.99 + $10 off with CollegeSave10 promo code)
5. RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) ($19.99)
TOTAL: $278.64
TOTAL after rebates: $248.64

This is what I plan to go with... Not bad for $250.

Now, I need cables, cages, PCI slot expansions?

Should I run the cache drive off of a PCI Sata Card? Any recommended ones? Am I missing anything from the order?
Thanks everyone for the help, I will let everyone know who is interested in how setup goes. I am starting off with:

Case: AZZA Helios 910 SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($79.99 + $30 mail-in)
Mobo: ASRock 880GM-LE FX AM3+ AMD 880G Micro ATX ($54.99)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core ($59.99)
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($54.99 + $10 off with CollegeSave10 promo code)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) ($19.99)
Hot Swap: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B Black 5x 3.5" Hot-swap SATA Hard Disk Drive Trays ($99.99)
TOTAL: $392.14 (after shipping)
TOTAL after rebates: $362.14

2x2TB WD Green Drives (one of them parity)
2x1.5TB WD Green Drives
1x1TB WD Drive
1x320GB WD Drive (Cache)

Since I am running everything off of this NAS (CPotato, SickB, SAB, MySQL), do I want to use a cache drive, or is it a waste of a HDD spot?
(2012-09-07, 04:55)thrashmagazine Wrote: Since I am running everything off of this NAS (CPotato, SickB, SAB, MySQL), do I want to use a cache drive, or is it a waste of a HDD spot?

From what I have been reading on the unRaid forums, you should definitely use a cache drive for SickB, SAB etc.. as these addons make the drive its installed on spin virtually all of the time. You do not want your primary drives spinning any more than they actually have to. These unRaid plugins are specifically made to run on a cache drive.
definitely cache drive

it protects your data disks and especially the parity drive by minimizing writes to them (things get written to them once a day by the mover)

it also lets those drives sleep (couchpotato will keep whatever drive it is writing to awake constantly)

I just use an older 500GB drive as a cache drive
(2012-09-07, 04:55)thrashmagazine Wrote: Since I am running everything off of this NAS (CPotato, SickB, SAB, MySQL), do I want to use a cache drive, or is it a waste of a HDD spot?

Like everybody else said, if you're running SAB/Sick/Couch you do want to use a cache drive. When SAB is downloading all the parts and working with the files it uses the heck out of your drive, you don't want all that work going onto your protected array and your system having to calculate parity for the rapidly changing files while it is downloading and processing them.

(2012-09-07, 06:04)Rafiki Wrote: From what I have been reading on the unRaid forums, you should definitely use a cache drive for SickB, SAB etc.. as these addons make the drive its installed on spin virtually all of the time. You do not want your primary drives spinning any more than they actually have to. These unRaid plugins are specifically made to run on a cache drive.

SAB and Sick are the only two I use at the moment and yes, they made my cache drive pretty much never sleep. Would sleep a bit but I could hear it spin up very frequently, like every 30 minutes to an hour maybe? Got tired of this and investigated it a bit checking for open files and what was opening them etc. Seemed SAB and Sick both liked to open the config files frequently but didn't make any writes. I got tired of that and set the configuration to keep my config and log files on the flash drive but use the cache drive for my download drive. Since then, my cache drive sleeps normally. I'm sure there's probably some very bad reason not to do this but, I don't want my cache drive spinning constantly for no real reason.

HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unRAID Server Setup Advice0