Performace is crap - is it my hardware or is it my configuration?
(2012-09-06, 16:17)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: What about trying to boot into XBMCubuntu or OpenElec,.....?
You can boot from USB and it won't touch the OS on your hard drive.

Just another option in trying to troubleshoot the problem.

Another question: What Linux OS have you tried? and I apologize if you've already answered that question.

I've tried XBMCbuntu booting live, but couldn't see any enhanced performance, so I never installed it. I could probably have given it more time though.

I had not heard of OpenELEC earlier, so I have not tried that.

I've only tried ubuntu, but in a few different flavors, started with Xubuntu, switched to Ubuntu when I couldn't get the sound playing through hdmi. Have since tried a few versions of Ubuntu, but can't recall exactly which. Currently running Ubuntu 12.04 x64 with xbmc built from source.
The key point here is that OpenElec 2 beta and the alpha versions (includes XBMCBuntu alpha) I pointed to have direct support for AMD's video acceleration API XvBA. All other XBMC builds for Linux just produce terrible results on AD10.
(2012-09-06, 20:10)FernetMenta Wrote: The key point here is that OpenElec 2 beta and the alpha versions (includes XBMCBuntu alpha) I pointed to have direct support for AMD's video acceleration API XvBA. All other XBMC builds for Linux just produce terrible results on AD10.
+1
Historically we've recommended staying away from Linux with Radeon graphics because it's never worked well. So, switching to Windows would have been the best choice. However, as FernetMenta points out, AMD graphics on Linux has made big improvements lately and is definitely worth trying out.
(2012-09-06, 11:46)FernetMenta Wrote: For Linux this is right thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996

EDIT: If you follow this guide, you get fine results with this box.

Successfully playing both 'big buck bunny' and the birdmovie in 1080p after following the suggested guide! Big Grin

FernetMenta I totally owe you a beer! Nod
GREAT News!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Performace is crap - is it my hardware or is it my configuration?0