Win First user of XBMC on HP n40l microserver - video freeze
Hi forum. I am a complete newcomer to XBMC, but am interested in getting it up and running as the main media centre for my household.

I have been going through the tekforums guide to setting up XBMC with Sickbeard, Couchpotator and SABnzbd. It is going reasonably smoothly, though I have a lot to learn. I have downloaded my first couple of shows/films and they are appearing in XBMC. I have a 720p movie of Gladiator and a single episode of True Blood in 720p. They are both mkv files.

When I play either of these files, they play for around 5 seconds, then freeze. The timer, however, keeps ticking on. Even if I click pause for a few seconds, and then play, the video is still frozen. Any ideas what could be wrong?

The machine is a very clean install. The spec is as follows:-
HP Proliant N40L Microserver, 4GB RAM
OS drive is a 64GB SSD drive
Video is saved on a 2TB WD Green drive (brand new)
GFX card is a passively cooled ASUS 5450 with driver package 8.982-120727a-145524C-ATI
The PC is connected to an LCD monitor at the moment via HDMI from the GFX card. Once all is running it will be connected to my TV via HDMI.

One thing to note is that there is, of course, no sound coming through the DVI cable. The little speaker icon on the task bar has a red cross on it (as I have no speakers/headphones connected I presume). If I click on this speaker I get a windows troubleshoter window appearing, and it says it couldn't identify the problem. I can only guess that this is because it 'knows' that sound can and should be going down the HDMI cable, but there isn't one attached.

Any ideoas what could expplain the freezing video? Could it be related to the sound?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First user of XBMC on HP n40l microserver - video freeze0