Support for the new SAT>IP protocol
Thumbs Up 
Hi!

I did not find any information in this forum about the new SAT>IP standard by SES Astra.

What is SAT>IP: here
Description at Wiki: here

For the detailed protocol description just contact SES Astra.

Right now there is only the DVBViewer Media Server available with support of SAT>IP.
So the media server can handle the DVB hardware and stream the data to the clients.
Information about the media server: here

I would ask because this will be a nice feature if XBMC can handle this protocol for Live-TV.

THX!
I second this!

I'm currently using the DVBViewer backednw tih XBMC on the Raspberry Pi (XBIAN) and using UPnP is not great. Having more direct control and fully implemented PVR functionality should work great with SAT>IP and it's a standard so all the current PVR backends could implement it and thus make the PVR functionality in XBMC much easier and more straightforward.

Also, this could eventually lead to serverless PVR functionality, where you just need the IP-LNB and/or SAT>IP multiswitch instead of a Server-PC running Windows or Linux. This would makes things easier and also save a bit of electricity which is maybe not the worst goal these days... Wink
*bump*

just want to make sure this does not get lost...sorry... Wink
Hi, i suppose the best idea is to use the Recording Service Plugin (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140645) instead. It runs quite nicely and if you compile it for Rasberry it should run also with this system.
Sure, that's a start, I'm using the DVBViewer anyway right now, but in the end I'd like to get around using a Windows or Linux Server with all the attached disadvantages...
The current DVBViewer Plugin doesn't use Sat-IP by the way...

With a simple SAT-IP implementation all kinds of Live-TV solutions could be handled with just one plugin (or built-in support)
This would be a very nice feature indeed.

I am going to switch to Sat>IP in a couple of weeks and having XBMC be able to directly receive this streams without any other hard- or software in between would be awesome.
This feature would be awesome.
I will also switch to Sat>IP in about 6 months and I´m really looking forward to a plugin for XBMC.
Is there already any progress/idea with that?

By the way: Thanks for the freat job u guys are doing with the XBMC!! Smile
I also still hope XBMC will support this protocol.

In Germany there is already the Digbit R1 SAT>IP Server available.
http://www.telestar.de/indexbe3f.html?na...,de,76-331

In Amazon ~205,- for a ready to use quad DVB-S2 tuner.

Also the DVBViewer Recording Service supports SAT>IP Servers as tuner hardware.

Best solution right now will be:
Digibit R1 -> 4 tuners in Recording Service (May running the RS in a virtual machine on Linux because no tv-tuner in hardware is requiered) -> to the Clients with all features of the RS (UPnP, Unicast, SAT>IP,...).
So the Recording Service is handling the recordings and so on...
Sat>IP would be realy a much appreciated feature! Nod
Any news on this?
The German computer magazin c't has brought a pretty encouraging story about SAT>IP in the current issue (22/2013, p 172 ). A LNB with integrated 8x tuner sounds almost too good to be true, but shipment of such a product is actuelly promised for early 2014!

This is a revolution to the mythtvs and xbmcs on this univers. Mythtv as a backend with 8 channel DVB-S2 ? Christmas might be double good this year. Mythtv programmers, please, please, please take note!
i wonder how Digibit will get 4 HDTV Streams over a 100MBit Lan Interface.

I think i'm quiet happy with my 4 Tuner VDR Server for the next years.
HTPC (AMD X4 620, Geforce GT 520, Tevii 470, Antec Fusion Case with Imon LCD) with Openelec Gotham Nightlies
Raspberry Pi with Openelec Nightlies for Testing

The interface is actually 1Gbit.
Nice additional fact is power over ethernet and a max power draw of <10w with 8 active tuners.
It will save me alot of cables as well.
This really is the holy grail of SAT innovation if you ask me. The only problem right now is the lack of good clients, but Kathrein and a few other big brands are getting onboard, so that is not going to stay an issue much longer. Full XBMC integration would be fantastic, but my current setup with Dvblink on my NAS for recordings and a dedicated Sat Ip client connected to my TV is also OK.
Ok, 1Gb sounds good, then their spec sheet is old.
It would be perfect if the recordings can be also done by the Digibit Device via USB HDD.
HTPC (AMD X4 620, Geforce GT 520, Tevii 470, Antec Fusion Case with Imon LCD) with Openelec Gotham Nightlies
Raspberry Pi with Openelec Nightlies for Testing

What Digibit Device?

The IP-LNB will be made by Inverto I think...or do you mean a Digibit B1 SAT>IP Client?[/align]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support for the new SAT>IP protocol2